Why are my dog's nipples leaking?
My chihuahua's nipples are leaking and she's not pregnant and not in heat.
by Niecey2008

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

Niecey2008
Female, 34 years
Canton - OH
Member since Nov 2008
Mood: Niecey2008 is concerned

, Nov 13, 2008 11:19AM

Why is my chihuahua's nipples leaking? She has only had one heat and is not pregnant. She has very white liquid coming out of her nipples, just picking her up you get milk on your arms. Is this normal? She just turned 1 in Oct. and with her first heat we watched her very closely. So I know she is not pregnant. Please help me understand what is going on with my little peanut.

Thanks in advance,
  Niecey
This sounds like what's called 'false pregnancy'. It's her hormone levels, a bit up. Bet it's about 8-9 weeks since her season? Or thereabouts? This is common in unspayed *******. Very often it just goes away on its own, and so long as your dog's fit, things'll be fine, but it often comes back again and again. She won't be suffering, but might just feel a bit odd, with the hormone-swings. She might be clingy, or get attached more to a toy or cuddle it a lot, things like that. The only permanent solution to this is to get her spayed. This will protect her against womb problems later in life too. (Pyometra, or inflammation of the womb is serious, and an emergency. Symptoms of Pyometra can be: listlessness, sudden great thirst, perhaps vomiting, elevated temperature, sometimes, and sometimes not, discharge from the vagina.)
But false pregnancy in itself is not dangerous. It'll go away on its own. There are homeopathic remedies that can help: SEPIA 6c or PULSATILLA 6c  crush 2 tablets between 2 spoons. Don't handle the tablets. She might lick the powder up because it tastes nice. If not, add it to her water. Try 3 times a day. If there's improvement, cut down to twice, then once. When she seems better, stop the tablets.
My chau turned a yr Dec 24 her bottom two nipples look like there's a bit of a rash but it's not red just inflamed like hives she has never been around any other dogs male or female if you touch her nipples they have a clear discharge I don't know what is up this doesn't seem to have any effect on her she acts like she always has I just want to know if this is normal and why could this be going on she went into heat in November and hasn't gone into heat since does anyone know what's up with my little baby ?  
Every time I put in the word is some crazy #39 stuff came threw it wasn't there on my comments when I wrote it it showed up after it was sent ????
PS....this forum won't let me say b-i-t-c-h-e-s!!
Female unfixed dog bottom 2 nipples leaking clear liquid but she hasnt been around unfixed male dog. What can cause this?
It sounds like a "False Pregnancy". That is caused by a hormone imbalance which can happen sometimes to un-spayed females.
It is not an illness, as such, and she will get over it when her hormones go back into balance.
But of course it will come back, some time probably after her next "season" or "heat".
Dogs who have a history of false pregnancies can develop Pyometra at any time, but usually at middle age or older. Pyometra is very VERY dangerous. It is an infection of the womb and is very common. Dogs can and often do die from this.

There is another possibility, and that is she might have mastitis (inflammation of the breast tissue) or even breast cancer. That is also likely in an unspayed female.
Breast cancer can often be fixed successfully in dogs by removal of the mammary tissue before the cancer has chance to spread through the body. That can often result in a complete cure in dogs.
It is a major surgery, but not quite as invasive as it would be in a human. Once any tumours are taken away,
so long as the surgery is done before the cancer spreads, it is unlikely to recur. There is no more mammary tissue for it to come back.

The only answer to protect your dog is to have her spayed.
There are many low-cost spay/neuter clinics about and some charities will do it for a donation of whatever you can afford. You need to either find a low-cost clinic or charity near you, or take her to the vet to have the surgery, and find the money yourself.
This is a common surgery, and vets are used to doing it. Most dogs sail through this operation and are better in themselves after it. No more hormonal ups and downs! And no fear of Pyometra or unwanted pregnancy.
I went to a vet today because my dog's one of her nipple was leaking clear water. That was what I thought until the vet squeezed it and the discharge was reddish (blood-ish).
The vet said it was infection. He said hard to identify how she got the infection. My dog is 11 year old rescued dog. Got her antibiotics and see if it goes away. Will keep you updated.