Dogs Community
Why did my dog die:(

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Why did my dog die:(

Last Sunday morning I awoke to find my sweet beloved 4lb chihuahua Holly had died. She was a senior at 15,on heart med 4 years but doing fine. I had just taken her to the vet for a check up that day. She was due for 3 vaccinations, two of which I declined because of her age,etc with the exception of the state req Rabie's vaccine. She didn't exibit any problems afterwards,ate her dinner & went to te bathroom. The last time I saw her alive was at midnight & she was sleeping.
The next morning I found she had gotten out of bed & was where she'd wait or me to come for her. She obviously had a massive seizure as her jaws were locked down teeth piercing her tongue. She had also lost control of her bowels/ bodily fluids & could tell she had been writhing/convulsing in it. There was so much. There was also a little blood coming from her rectum & rigormortis had already set in. Her eyes were open to.UGH! I was beside myself with grief.  I loved her so much & had her since she was a was a puppy. It tears me apart to think she suffered & died alone waiting for her master to help her. I've cried a river of tears.
There were issues over the last 3 years of behavioral changes,she became shy & a bit skiddish. Also seemed to have some decreased vision altho she did have the begining of cataracts.
When I reported her death to my vet,she said maybe she had a brain tumor,but,I'm wondering if she had a reaction to the Rabies vaccine? I've read it can happen,even if they've had them before without incident.
I have no idea, bu I wanted to say I'm so sorry :( I know how hard it is to loose a loved pet so unexpectedly. (((((((( hugs )))))))))
I am so sorry for your loss also.  It is heart wrenching to lose them, no matter how it happens.  Her behavior changes do sound to me like she may have had a brain tumor; my Siberian husky died of a brain tumor. Though hard for you to see the aftermath of, during a seizure, the animal is out of it.  It sounds like your beloved dog did not regain consciousness, so I think you should be encouraged that she was not aware and in pain.  

Innoculations can cause reactions, but I think a brain tumor was the primary cause, and all you did was follow the law and protect your pet from rabies, as we all must do.  You have no reason to feel guilty, although I understand your brain is searching for ways you could have prevented her death.  It's what we do.  

Holly and you shared a wonderful bond, and you were the love of her life.  She was lucky and happy to have shared it with you, I am very certain.