Dogs Community
Why did our dog die suddenly?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Why did our dog die suddenly?

I've been reading these discussions and gotten some comfort.  Our 7 yr old golden retriever just died suddenly, and it's driving us crazy, so I have to ask the same question.

Copper is a big (95lb) golden retriever, healthy except for a small tumor removed a year ago.  He got his routine vets checkup June 15, and had a clean bill of health (including palpating the abdomen, where the tumor was).  

4 days ago, we noticed in the morning he had not eaten his dinner.  He showed no other signs of discomfort, no vomiting etc., so we watched, but thought it might just be loss of appetite from the heat (It has been very hot here, and he seemed to be avoiding the outside).  So we let him rest, gave him lots of cold water, which he drank well.  I hosed him off that evening outside and noticed he did not shake the water off, something he usually does enthusiastically.  That evening, he sort of declined to go on a walk with our son, so he tried again in the morning when it was cooler, but the dog did not want to go then either.  I took him for a walk in the afternoon, hoping he was feeling better (this is the 2nd day since he didn't eat dinner), and he went very slowly around the block, but peed and had a bowel movement.  That night he started labored breathing, we took him to the ER, and he died in our arms.

We are all devastated, and were so shocked we buried him the next day and did not think to bring him to the vet for a necropsy.  So it's driving us crazy.  Can anybody put 2 and 2 together on this?  I thought it might be GDV (twisting of the gastric tract), but he was missing one symptom, bloated stomach.  But in retrospect, the failure to shake his fur coat after getting wet might have been significant.  Help us understand if you can.
I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved pet~~~~sara
I am so very sorry for your loss..... my Golden ,Shane is 8yr... a big lovable lump of love ! I understand how you feel.
I suppose it will be only guess work as to why he died ! it does sound a bit like GDV.
the calm before the storm. Anyway just to say how sorry I am for your loss.
it could be heat stroke, or anti freeze or some other poisoning, but i'm just guessing. ask a vet anyway.
This is so devastating, you're right. I am so sorry. I wish I could give you answers, but have no idea what might have been the cause of his death.
The only thing I can think of is that although the health checks the vet does seem good (they listen to heart, breathing, palpate the abdomen, look at eyes and teeth....etc) -they don't usually as a matter of course, run a full blood scan with the annual health check.
Sometimes only a blood scan could pick up signs that all is not well. And dogs being so naturally stoic, seem to be able to ride out all but the worst. It is just possible he had something hidden going on that only deeper, further testing could have revealed.

I am so sorry for your loss.
Thanks, we're working through it.  One thing I've learned from this forum, and the unconditional support members give every grieving person, is how insensitive I've been in the past to adult's relations to their cats and dogs.  It didn't hit as hard when I was younger, but as an adult, it's like the only pure thing you have.  So anyway, we are trying to absolve ourselves of guilt (we did take care of him), and trying to remember how every synapse in his body went on 100% alert when we threw something in the woods, how he stationed himself in the window to guard the house every night, how happy he was to play with the boys, laying his head on my wife's lap in the mornings while she had coffee.  
I'm sure you all are just ticking off the stages of grief as you observe, thanks.
JM
All those memories are so precious but very bitter-sweet. It was the best thing that you knew him, and were given the privilege to share time on this Earth with him. It was the worst thing that he had to go -and so suddenly, and so mysteriously.
I know. Dogs give you what must be the best love in the world! I think so anyway, but I'm biased.
I don't know about all those "stages of grief" I can't pin it down and label it like that. It's always just like a tsunami when it comes for me....all I can do is ride it, survive it, and see what happens next day....

Treasure your memories. One day in the future you may take on another companion. But those memories will always be precious.
I am so sorry for your loss.... I lost my 4 1/2 yr old Peek a little over 4 yrs ago to renal failure. We spent 2 years and several thousand dollars trying to find what was making her have intermittent bouts of illness. We did everything we could, I would have given her my own kidney (if I had a good one to give her) but the fact is we didn't find out until the day she died, that it was Renal Failure :(
I hope that your pain eases as the days go by and that the wonderful memories you shared with you 4 legged will last a lifetime.
I for one would like to "thank you" for taking such good care of your dog. There are SO many people that don't give any consideration to their pets needs and health.
Dawn
Hi there,
I have goosebumps after reading your post.My 14 year old German Shepherd/Blue Heeler cross died last year in the same circumstances exactly as your dog.He had no previous symptoms and then one morning he refused to eat.I took him to the vet straight away that morning and he also had heart arrythmias.They did an ultrasound and told me that it may be what is called a hemangiosarcoma,or possibly a gastric ulcer.He had plae gums and black stools.They sent me home with Jasper and gave me some medication to treat an ulcer.That night he vomited blood and started very laboured breathing.Within an hour he died.I am still devastated,and like you was so upset at the time that I did not have an autopsy done.The vet could not tell me at the time what killed Jasper,but he suspected it was a hemangiosarcoma.I would like to chat more to you about this.I am so sorry,I know exactly what you are going through.My 10 year old Golden retriever died from a hip tumour only 3 months before Jasper.The whole period was the worst in my life.I now have another beautiful Golden and although he could never replace my beautiful Jasper and Brinkley,he has helped with my grief.My best wishes go out to you and your family.Justine Watson,Australia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemorrhagic_gastroenteritis
HGE killed my dog.
My dog died in three hours.  A dachshund/beagle mix named Ginger.
She threw up 1AM then began urinating and defecating diarrhea with dark blood. While I was trying to locate a 24 hour vet in this back water (Bluffton, SC) she then begun to hemorrhage bright red blood and passed away on the way to the VET.
Note: She had a bit of diarrhea earlier in day but no sign of blood – I know as I used white paper towels to pick it up – no blood.  
I am writing to warn all pet owners of this disease HGE.  Learn about it.
I find strange comfort in knowing that we are not the only ones who have experienced this tragic event.  Our 5 1/2 year old chocolate lab died suddenly the day after christmas this year.  We noticed that he just wasn't acting right and so we ended up taking him to the emergency animal clinic in the morning.  They told us that he might have a cold or stomach bug and treated him symptomatically with fluids and medicine.  We brought him home shortly after only for him to be howling and moaning constantly and not wanting to move.  We brought him back a second time to the same clinic only 6 hours later, in which we received a second diagnosis of vertebral disc compression, they gave him muscle relaxant and pain medicine and told us we could leave him there for observation or take him home.  I didnt feel comfortable leaving him in a place I wasn't familiar with, so we brought him home.  His breathing became labored and slow and on our way to the vet for the third time, he died in my arms in the back seat of our truck.  We opted out of the necropsy.  I couldn't handle knowing if he died from something that could have been prevented if only the vets had diagnosed him correctly the first two times we had brought him in.  I know their jobs are difficult and animals are very difficult to diagnose, but it pains me knowing we were at the clinic for a good portion of the day and he still passed away.  I don't believe he had any vertebral disc compressions, the vet told us the xray machine they had most likely would not show the compression, only MRI, which they did not have.  I'm wondering if he got in to something or if he was bitten and had an allergic reaction?  I don't know, he didn't have any vomiting or diarrhea, he was just very lethargic and then started having neuro symptoms.  Its just so devastating to lose such a young dog that was so dear to our hearts.  If love were enough he would have lived forever.
Our golden retriever died suddenly at age 10 on 12/28.  She was recently diagnosed with Valley Fever (we live in AZ) and started on antibiotics 2 weeks prior to her death.  She also might have had osteosarcoma (bone cancer) as the xray of her paw (recent limping) indicated something eating away at the bone, and the only causes of that were bone cancer and/or Valley Fever.  We were happy that she tested positive for Valley Fever since that is treatable with meds.  However, I was playing with her and then had her lay down so I could return to work.  30 minutes later I noticed she was lifeless and determined she was dead.  I, too, was shocked and can only conclude she did have the bone cancer as well that must have spread and possibly she had an emboli.  We lost our German Shepherd a month prior from complications of a seizure disorder and had to put her to sleep when she had a seizure that the ER vet could not stop.  At least we understood what happened with her.  With our Golden, it was so sudden and I understand your pain.  The loss of our two is heartbreaking to say the least.  Some things can't be explained - please go to Rainbow Bridge site for comfort.  
First I want to say I am so sorry for your families loss.  I am going thru the same thing right now. I had my Kodie a beautiful healthy golden for 11 years and 2 months. He had his regular checkups and always got a clean bill of health.  He passed away on the bathroom floor alone.  It is killing me that I wasnt' there for him. He was his normal self that day. Eating going to the bathroom and playing, no signs of not feeling well. I know he didn't get into anything but I just don't know what happened. The vet said heart or cancer. We may never know what happened my prayer is that he went peacfully without pain. He was a happy loving polite and kind dog. Right now I am consumed with such grief and pain that all I do is cry. I know in time when I think about my Kodie I will smile in my heart of the beautiful life I had with him. I lost my father 2 years ago suddenly from an enlarge health, he also was in perfect health. My poppy was an angel here on this earth. He never showed anger. Never. Stupid things like someone would cut us off on the road and my mom would be saying a few choice words and my poppy would say "well they may just have an emergency". Never had he an unkind word for anything or anyone. I never even heard him say the word damn. My poppy had a golden and the day my poppy died Bailey never left his side it's like he knew.  My Poppy died on his bedroom floor and til this day this is where Bailey his dog sleeps. I miss them and life here will never be the same without them. GOD bless you all and may the memories of your loved ones  that pain you after there loss one day warm your heart and make it smile the way your golden smiled at you everyday.
Thanks for this post, it's really shed some light on our Lab's sudden death today.  She was only 3 years and 10 months old.  She went into heat last month and the neighbors dog jumped the fence when we let her out to use the bathroom (and you can figure out the outcome of that encounter).  Anyway, a few days ago she stopped eating and would only take water and her belly ballooned out.  We just figured she was pregnant since calculating when the dog jumped the fence to now was about 4 weeks and everything I read said that at about this time during a pregnancy the dog's belly will swell and they will lose their appetite but that there is no need to take them to the vet as this is normal.  After reading your article I am now suspecting she had GDV which I had never heard of (but wish I had so we would have known how serious her condition was).  My husband is on his way to the vet right now with her so hopefully we will know what happened.  Like your family, we are DEVASTATED!!!  We have 3 young children and another Lab and she was loved by each and everyone of us.  I never understood how people could be so upset over losing a pet until today.  I hope the tears stop flowing soon.
I am sorry to hear everyones losses and find a sense of calm in reading these feeling that I am not the only one out here who loved my dog tremendously. Thie past saturday i went to take a shower and my Pit Mateo was lying on his side convulsing as if he were gasping for air, he has orage pee around him and vomit out of his mouth on the floor. At first I thought he may be choking on his own vomit so I picked him up to clear it out. Not to many seconds after that he passed in my arms with my wifes hands layed on him as if to say its ok. He was the best friend I could have ever had and dont think I have cried more in my life as I have these past 3 days. I just dont know what to think but know i didnt want to do any tests just because i couldnt bare to think it was becaise of something i could ave prevented. He was so energetic and loving he was a huge lap dog and allowed my 2 year old to lay all over him any way he wanted. Its hard to let go to something that has been my first child for almost 9 years now but I know he will be waiting on me in Heaven when I get there. The things you all are talking about sound sort of what happend to my Mateo but only God knows. May he rest in peace knowing he will dearly be missed and loved for all the good times and playful memories we had. My life is truly better because of his presence. We love you bud see you in time......Love, Your Family....
Mateo's Dad,
I'm terribly sorry for your heartache.....I know it's awful and you feel as if your heart will explode.....I always wonder where all the tears come from....Each time, I thought I could cry no more, then it would all start again...I understand what your saying.....

Try to remember the good times during those wonderful 9 years.....Try not to remember the end (Although I know it's almost impossible!).

You sound like a wonderful Pet parent and he was fortunate to have such a caring home.....Many never get that opportunity, I'm sorry to say....

Take care of yourself and grieve all you want....It's part of the healing process!

Come back here and let us know how your doing.....My thoughts are with you..... Karla

Run Free Mateo~~~~You were much Loved~~~~~One of the lucky ones.......
Thank you Karla thank you so much..It has been a rough few days but gradually I am doing better and come to realize he blessed me for a reason and am staying on the path remembering all the wonderful memories we had in the presence of each other. He was a wonderful friend and I will never forget what he was to me and my family, never to forget but hold on to the love we all shared...Thanks again
OMG- I can't believe what I am reading.  We just lost our 3 YEAR OLD yellow lab in the same way!  We were away for Thanksgiving and when we got home, our dog was obviously in terrible pain and couldn't move. She had trouble moving her neck, it seemed as well.  I rushed her to emergency where she spent 2 days and took her home for 2 more.  There was no change in her health during that time and she was taking 4 different pain meds/muscle relaxers. FInally was told to get an MRI since the xrays and blood tests showed nothing. I drove her an hour to the neurologist office and was told that they could do an MRI the next day...I made an appt for the next morning and took her home for the night.  After dinner that night, she started showing neuro problems and colapsed...slow breathing...etc. I rushed her to emergency- she was barely breathing and unresponsive.. they tried resuscitate and were unsuccessful.  We will never know what caused the death of our sweet 3 year old girl.  On paper, she was in perfect health.  So sad,  I am sorry for your loss and am sorry that neither of us will know what caused their untimely deaths.
Our 5 year old Golden Mater suddenly passed on Dec. 30th.  He was a rather tall guy and very active.  My 10 year old son found him in the back yard passed away after hearing our Cocker Spanial barking non stop.  No obvious reason for this.  He did have a mild siezure condition, but there were no signs of this occuring.  His passing has put a big hole in the family and we can tell that our 2 other dogs are also troubled by this.  We have adopted a dog from a rescue recently and things are slowly getting back to normal.
I am sooo sorry for your loss. I am dealing with the same thing right now. Our beloved 4 year old Yellow Lab Cassie was diagnosed with renal failure on January 12th and never responded to all the things we tried. Her last visit to the vet showed no improvement, she had lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks and her vitals were deteriorating. We made the decision to euthanize her. It had to be one of the worst things I ever did. No answers and lots of questions. I never heard of such a thing in dogs before and it helps a little to know we are not the only ones suffering such a loss. We will keep your in our prayers!
Sad to hear of your lose. My 5 1/2 year old chocolate lab passed away a week ago, she had a rash on her body with no symptoms( no itching or scanning) blood work was normal 2 wks prior. Then she stopped eating, vomited blood and black stool. Within 15 hours of being at the emergency, she was gone. Did u get your dog in NH? The doctors think what caused my dogs death could be genetic, she was healthy one minute and then she was gone
My condolences to everyone that has lost a 'best friend' recently. These stories are heartbreaking and remind me of my loss, my beautiful loopy lurcher BB, who passed away in November. I think the wisest words come from Ambergerz above, who says about the loss of their dog: 'If love were enough he would have lived forever.'

I think this is true for all on this forum ... it's a great saying and well worth repeating ... our dogs have been so very lucky, they have enjoyed love and affection and the utmost care and attention, and there are so many dogs out there that sadly go without these essential things. In return, we get their unconditional love and companionship and all the things that make dogs such wonderful creatures. No dog ever lives long enough - but my oh my, don't they know how to make the most of the short lives they have. A lesson for us all, I think. Tony
We rescued a hurricane Katrina survivor from the pound five years ago.  She had been returned twice previously and was on "death row."  For awhile, I thought we would go nuts and needed a dog whisperer.  But despite her "crazy" antics, we never gave up on her.  She was the most beautiful golden retriever/lab mix and soooooo smart she was dangerous.  She was always happy, always playful, loyal, fun, so loving and sweet.  We walked her yesterday and played in the yard, all was perfectly normal...not one single indicator of ill health.  We put her in the back yard and found her laying dead there within two hours.  We are in shock and devistated, we all loved her but my 10 year old son loved her deeply.  How he wept last night.  I am so confused and sad, I don't know what to do.
I was very saddened to read the post about your dog. Unfortunately, you may never know what happened to her - or whether she had in fact been ill for some time, but without obvious signs and symptoms. The most likely cause is a heart attack, which would have been quick and could have occurred while she was asleep. My heart goes out to your son and of course to you. But, you did a fantastic thing by rescuing her and she was so very lucky to be a part of your family. Big hugs, Tony
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.
I understand that you are concerned about your son, and are wondering what you can do to help him overcome his loss.
As a parent, I know how difficult it is for you to not only have to deal with the loss of your beloved dog, but even more so,to have to deal with the pain your son is experiencing. My heart aches for you both.

Perhaps you could encourage your son to find a way to honor his dog.
He could do this by writing a story or poem about her.  
Maybe he could volunteer some time to a local shelter, or collect some money or items to donate to the shelter.
Maybe he could walk a friend or neighbors or a shelter dog, that is not able to get out often. He can do these things in memory and in honor of his dog.
You could tell him that whenever he thinks he is ready to get another dog, that his dog would be happy if he could find it in his heart to rescue another dog and take as good care of it, as he did of her.
Tell him that his dog would be proud of him if he rescued another pound dog and gave it a good home with lots of love.Taking care of another pound dog, would be like taking care of one of her family, and that is something that would make her happy. She would also be happy, if she knew that another dog was looking out for you, keeping you happy and protecting the family.
Tell him that just because she is gone, it does not mean that he has to stop loving her.
Tell him it is Ok to cry and miss her, because You do too.
Tell him that all dogs go to heaven, because Heaven wouldn't be Heaven without her, would it.
It might help to get some Helium Balloons, and have your Son and yourself, write a message on the Balloons to send to your dog in Heaven.
You could also check with your local library, to see if they have any books that would help comfort your Son with his loss.

Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
God Bless your Dogs Beautiful Spirit and Soul...she is much loved.
Connie
http://youtu.be/LYl7CiQXx7E
Few memory's of the many walks everyday which we both loved, wish you could be still here, MISS YOU SO MUCH:-)
sadly Vigo died On 24th Feb 2012 with kidney failure, he was just 4 years 7 months, but the short time he lived he had a great life and we miss him so dearly, he was such a lovable Shepherd and never showed anger, he always showed affection, miss or walks everyday but will always remember the many memory's we had together, you are in our hearts always loved one!! http://youtu.be/gK7x87lU-ls NEVER FORE YOU
NEVER FORGOT YOU!!
First sorry to you all about your dogs, I am a owner of 6 Golden retrivers.late last night I went to the bathroom and I noticed my Herculese did not follow me, he was a 6 year old Golden my best friend I found him on the floor with his toung hanhing out all purple, and his body stiff, also found urin and poop next to him. I loved my dog very much RIP Herculese we all love you. I love all my dogs and will do anything for them. My question is why? Only 6 years old no problems at all no signs, regular visits to the vet. He was always the more active one and always the slimest and we always asked the vet they always said same thing he is in perfect condition. So my vet will be cremating my Herculese. After that cost I have no funding to find out why? What signs do I look for and what do I do to find out. He was only 6. Ok now for all of you dog owners, and lovers I wish you the best of luck and happy days with your animals you never know when the last day will be God Bless.

Hi John. Just caught up with your video on YouTube. Wow. That is an emotionally charged film. I am so sorry for your loss. What a fantastic and happy dog Vigo was. His life may have been all too short, but he clearly loved every minute sharing it with you. Run free Vigo. Tony
Hi. This is the second post I have read this morning of beloved dogs dying in much the same way, suddenly and without any warning signs. I am so very sorry for your loss and reading it brought tears to my eyes, as I know only too well how heartbreaking it is. Sadly, there is little chance of anyone saying why your dog died - other than it may have been either a seizure or a heart attack, as it happened so suddenly. This may have been a genetic (physical) ailment or abnormaility that may not have shown in any prior vet examinations and unfortunately, without there being any earlier symptoms, there is absolutely nothing that could have been done to prevent the inevitable. Herculese passed away all too soon, but rest assured that he enjoyed a fantastic life, particularly living in a pack with you and your other dogs. Run free Herculese. Tony
Hay John sorry for your loss. After loosing our 5 Year old Golden for no reason at all, I find myself here to look for answers all I know is it hurts, everyday you ask yourself what did I do wrong and you remember everyday he greeted me slept in my bed next to me followed me everywhere and I loved everything about him he was also so soft now the warmer weather is here I feel it most we used to play with the water hose and jump in the pool, anyway all we have is memories I love him always.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_8iahu597o
Thanks it means a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_8iahu597o .
Hi. I loved the pictures of Hercules you posted onto YouTube. Thanks for sharing them. He sure was a fabulous friend to you and your family. I hope you will feel better in time, though I know it hurts right now. Run free Hercules. Tony
Hi john'
     Sorry I don't have a solution for your loss-My dog "spot" a greyhound-pitbull mixjust died tonight. I was in the basement @6pm and both of my dogs ran outside (enclosed fencing) to bark at the neighbor kids riding their bike/scooter on the sidewalk. about 5 minutes later I walked out back and "spot" was laying still in the grass with my other dog "brutes"(boxer) whinning  above him. He was already "glazed over/eyes"-I tried chest compressions to no avail. Thinking it was something he was born/died with. Sorry-just "venting"

SPOT "Millican"-DOB @3-7-1208  to     6-6-2012
I am so very sorry to read about Spot. You did the best you could. I'm sorry the chest compressions did not help. Spot possibly had a heart condition that showed no symptoms, therefore, went unnoticed.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
God Bless Spot's Beautiful Spirit and Soul...He is much loved.
Connie
I just came home from work today to find my 9 year old black lab dead.  I am so devasted and have been crying for 4 hours straight.  I don't understand.  He was fine this morning.  I keep him and my other dog in the basement while I am at work.  I came home, opened the door and one dog came out but not my lab.  I yelled for him and immediately knew something was wrong when it was quiet down there.  Went down the steps and immediately saw him lying on the floor.  I ran over to him screaming his name and as soon as I saw his face I knew he was dead.  I put my recycling down there and found he got ahold of a box I just put down there and got it out of the bin and walked on it so I have his footprint on it that I will be saving.  I just can't believe it!!  I am in shock.  My poor boy is gone and I didn't even get to say goodbye  :(
My GSD, Passed away today , He was very very agile & faithful Dog , We are in total shock,His breathing became heavier all of sudden & was resting on the Floor & After few hours he bleed from his mouth and passed away,Prior two weeks  he was howling,We thought he was feeling lonely , I did not take him to any vet,now he is no more, Raising a dog is not easy as one thinks,He has to be taken proper care,Loved,most importantly be his best companion rather than ours ! He was 7 years only , Its a lesson to me and lot of others ! Had i taken him to vet , I Would not cried today !
I Am very soory for all of you and understand exactly what you are all going through,
as the love of my life German sheperd Nucho just died suddenly 3 days ago,
he had been suffering for three and a half years from a ear infetion bacteria
called stafiococ,
we had done all and every possible treatment under the sun but for some reason nothing seemed to help,
we played with him in the evening before, and he was as playfull as always
we went to sleep and when we woke up in the morning he dad passed away, MY HEART is actualy broken and it hurts so much i just can't stop carresing his photo on my computor screen and crying,
but I have learned to love through Nucho and understand that,
God has put every being on this earth in order to do good and touch someone and change thier life,
and when they die if that being is missed and gieved over, then they have blessed this earth with love and good and they will be waiting to be reunited with all who loved them in heven (the world to come)
God bless all of you and your pets I miss you and love you Nucho,
From Geoff
I can relate to your grieving, My 3 yr old mix ( bull mastif/amer pitbul ) passed sudenly.  I was away  and had family members watching him.  and when i spoke with my sister she said Hank, was missing me and was not acting himself.  Three days later he collapsed std seizing and died.  I'm devastated  Istill get very emotional and i even can feel his presence.  Oddly as it sounds i get brief glimpses of him in his usual  napping spot.  I don't know  if it would be easier to handle if expected this outcome, I have unanswered questions that will never be  addressed.  It stinks  and i feel for all who have lost a pet in this manner.
I understand how all of you feel. My boxer puppy Brutus passed away on Sunday. He was only 7 months old. My husband and I are devastated, as we've only had him for 5.5 months and he showed no signs that anything was wrong. He simply yelped and stopped moving/breathing while my husband was bathing him. The vet said he most likely had an undetected heart condition, but they always said that he was perfectly healthy every time we took him. Although we didn't get the chance to have him for years like we planned, he was very much a part of our family. We spoiled him dearly and you could not convince us he was not our child, he even had his own room in our house. I can't stop crying and thinking about all the things we used to do with him. I just wonder when I will be okay and when it won't hurt so much.

Brutus -- we will never forget you and will always love you. Thank you for always brightening our days and bringing us so much joy. You are forever missed.
My lab boxer mix died today I don't no why or how after work we found him lying in the shade. He had vomited.  The last few days he's been licking his behind and it seemed to be getting red. He didn't make it to the vet appointment.  Can anyone tell me what could have happened?  He was a happy healthy loved dog about 6 years old
Tito left me last Sunday and things will never be the same. I have no family so he was my little man and my family. Never thought he would die so quickly.He stopped eating but still wanted to walk and drink. Came home from work to find him shaking and breathing very hard. Took him to vet right away and before they could see him he died in my arms.
The vet was very nice but she charged me anyway just for bringing him there to grief stricken to question it. This is something you never get over.
When it is so sudden what did I miss?
Our Westie Katie, died suddenly on November 9th. My son noticed she had stopped taking treats and said she was dying. We dismissed him as there was nothing wrong w her. My husband started noticing she was isolating herself and just sitting and staring in the yard. On Thurs night my husband couldnt find her but saw was what he thought was a white plastic bag in the corner of the yard. He tried not to tell me, but I saw and started screaming, NO. I made him bring her in the house where everyone said goodbye but me. She was under the bed, but I crawled as far as I could under and held her paw for hours, The emergency vet asked some questions but it was the time. I watched her breathing slow down. She picked her head up and looked at me twice. I dont know how but I ended up in the bed and somehow she got in the closet and died. She was still warm in the am and I held her and kept saying she was still alive. I am still in denial. After 12 years, Germany, Missouri and TX this dog grew up with my son. We hae 2 other dogs and they too are lost without her. I keep believing she is just laying in a different room. Cant accept it. She has been cremated and we are picking the ashes up Monday. I dont know what to say. Sorry so long.
Our wonderful family dog Riley died suddenly this last Tuesday.  He was fine on Monday, playing, eating, etc... Monday night he threw up and wasn't quite himself.  Tuesday morning he wouldn't eat or go to the bathroom and when I showed him his leash he didn't even react...not the normal jumping, excited dog I we usually have.  I took him to the vet where we found he had a huge stomach tumor.  I could not see it or feel it.  He was fine until Monday night.  The vet said it is normal for a tumor to not affect a dog until the last couple of days if it hasn't actually invaded any organs.  I brought Riley home and held him.  He couldn't get comfortable so I took him up to bed with me and laid with him.  He relaxed and seemed ok and I fell asleep for a little while next to him.  When I woke up, Riley had died.  My heart is broken, my entire family is devestated.  This was so fast and unexpected.  Riley gave us twelve wonderful years and we will remember him forever.
I lost my 4 year old Bernese Mountain Dog, Molly, yesterday.  It was very unexpected, she had not been ill and had no symptoms: no loss of appetite, no vomiting, nothing.  She collapsed and died while walking back into the house from her morning potty break.  It was truly that sudden.  My husband tried to clear her airway and do chest compressions, but she was already gone.  We will never know exactly what happened to her.  We decided not to do an autopsy because we didn't feel that it would give us any additional answers, we already had the answers that we really needed - that she went quickly and she didn't suffer.  It has been difficult to accept because it was so unexpected and we didn't have time to say goodbye.  I am struggling with the grief of not saying goodbye to her and of not spending enough time with her in our last months together.  After having my daughter, it seemed like I was always telling Molly to get out of my way.  I had my hands full with our baby and hadn't been making the time for  our pets like I used to.  She just loved being in the same room as us, and I'm just heartbroken that she didn't live long enough to see our daughter grow up.  Every animal deserves to know the love of a child.  She was so good with our daughter, I know they would have been inseparable  I hope she knew how much we loved her and that she was never in the way.  I'm mad at myself that it took losing her for me to recognize how much she meant to me.
Christmas will be especially hard this year.  It is the absence of things that I am noticing the most.  No collar jingling, no thump thump thump of her tail wagging, no toenails on the floor, no galloping in front of me on the way down to the barn to feed the horses.  I know that things will get easier, I just wish I had had a chance to say goodbye.  The only consolation is that she went very quickly and she was not in pain.  It just feels so unfair to be robbed of life at such a young age.  I wish I had made better use of my time with her and that I had done a better job of showing her what an important part of the family she was and that she was never in the way!
It was July 4th 2003 and our family went to a 4th of July celebration. Came home that night and our city decided to put on the loudest fire work show at a local park. We were not informed of this. Our dog Max a Rodesian Ridgeback stayed outside in the backyard. We would have put him indoors if we would have known it was going to be so loud. We came home and our dog was missing. My husband found him up the street. He had jumped the fence which he never did before ever! He continued to jump the fence everyday for the next three days. We figured he was just so spooked by the fireworks that he kept running away. This was so out of the norm for us. We agreed to send him on a vacation for a little while to my in laws. They loved Max and were spoiling him rotten. I figured he was fine and I will see him soon. Nine days go by and I told my husband "it's probably time to bring him home". My husbansd said "oh he likes it at their house he's fine!" I missed him terribly but I agreed he was probably getting more attention up at my in laws house.  I was very busy at the time with my twin 4yr old daughters. I have horrible guilt to this day and much sadness because he died suddenly while at their house. They went to work and came home and Max was dead on the side of the house with his stomache bloated. My lesson from all of this if I ever get a dog again would be to cherish every moment because you never know. I also learned I would never send our dog away on a vacation because he probably thought we abandoned him. I've learned alot about dogs since then. It was many years before my husband could even talk about Max again. My husband got Max for us before we were even married. He was like our first child. I still hurt to this day because he left and never came home again and I never got to see him again. We don't know the cause of death. My in laws felt bad because he was in their care. I feel bad but at first I blamed them. Like what did you do? Sorry this is so long but just wanted to dedicate this to our beautiful Max who was a nine yr old but like a huge puppy that never got  angry.He was hugh  112 pounds and was picked on and bitten by other dogs but never did a thing back to them. Just a real special dog that died suddenly away from home :(. RIP Max you will never be forgotten. We loved you very much :))
We just lost our Great Pyrenees to very similar symptoms, Monday night he threw up his dinner. We thought that maybe he just ate it to fast then on Tuesday he would not eat at all and very tired again we thought ok he is under the weather. Because animas do get sick as well  and we said that if he was not better come Wed we would take him to the vet but it was to late he died early Wed morning.

We are now killing ourselves thinking that we should have taken him to the vet but we have had other dogs who did get sick and it was so sudden because on Sunday he was running around playing with our other dog and eating normal then BAM he died!
Hi. If you still reading this I want to say that almost same happened and to mine GR just yesterday. He was eating, being happy ad show no signs and then Simply collapse on the ground and gone within seconds. He was always healthy and have no problems. But it happened and we think it could be simple heart attack or aneurysm in any part of the body. I can't write anymore because its really hurt.
danaz411 I am sorry. But from what you have described it sounds very much as if he died from Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen. This dreadful cancer which is often called "the silent killer" shows no symptoms usually, and then suddenly they have an internal bleed. Sometimes this can be a "slow bleed" and they can recover. But sometimes it can be a massive haemorrage, and it can kill them very quickly.The causes are unknown, but some breeds are prone to it, and it is genetic. Rest assured it was nothing you did wrong. And nothing your in-laws did wrong. And if this was Hemangiosarcoma, as I suspect from what you've said, it was going to happen anyway, wherever he was.
But I am sorry because it was sad you didn't get to spend his final days with him. But you weren't to know, and neither was anyone else. Even vets find it hard to discover Hemangiosarcoma in its early stages.
My condolences.

kshiya, and parkerlee....
I am also very very sorry for the loss of your beloved dogs. It's possible Hemangiosarcoma was the cause again. But parkerlee, it could have been an aneurysm, as he passed so extremely suddenly, within seconds of being OK.
I have a red noise pitbull that just died... I dont know what happened he was running around like normal and my husband decide to give him and our other dog a bath and he was soooo happy the next thing I new is my husband left him in bathroom to dry off more after being toweled off and a lil time later I went to get him and he was laying on bathroom floor died..... my husband said he was breathing heavy as she showe him bit he was fine when he got out... I dont understand what happened where we live the 24 hour vet is 20 mins away we couldnt make it he was gone... please someone explain it to me what happened
our dog died suddenly 3 weeks ago.he had. dermal skin cancer removed 18 months ago.has been healthy and happy.just panting quite a bit but through the recent heatwave soput it down to that.on the saturday night he wouldnt lie down.we raced to emergency vets.200 pounds!!they sent him homewith tummy ache and painkillers/sedation.he died next day.Paid for autopsy.showed huge tumours in spleen,everywhere.miss him dreadfully.we were badly let down.no faith in vets atall.so sorry for your loss.
My shepherd collie mix Moses died Wednesday evening. He was fine in the morning and than the doc prescribed Rimadyl and Tramadol for his back pain. Within 2 hours of giving him these new meds he puked a ton of dark blood. His breathing was labored and than he cried for a bit and puked a ton more blood and passed away.....I am in mourning of losing my best friend and the house is hauntingly quiet now. I don't know if he had a problem internally or the medicine caused something to happen as I've heard Rimadyl is a dog killing medicine and they are still prescribing it for pain....wish I would have known that taking the medicine home....Moses you will be missed.
I had a White English Pit mix that was roughly 1 1/2 years old that just died tonight very suddenly.  I fed her in the morning and everything was fine.  She was up playing and running around and everything.  She went in to the bedroom and laid down with our other dog and my wife.  An hour or so later, I went in to the bedroom and laid next to my wife.  We heard a crash against the wall, it was my dog Molly.  She was up against the wall acting weird and when I tried to get her out she didnt want to move.  I picked her up and laid her on the bed.  After a few mins, she threw up several times.  I brought her in to the living room to be with the family so we could watch her.  She had labored breathing and seemed really weak.  She could hardly open her eyes.  She felt cold to the touch so we put a blanket over her but every time we did, she would get up and walk away from it then lay back down.  Suddenly she went in to convulsions, stopped breathing and died.  No clue what caused it.  I thought perhaps she got bitten by a spider or something but not sure.  Anyone have any ideas?
My 2 1/2 year old Siberian Husky just passed away suddenly. I heard him howling and then found him on my deck, motionless. He had passed and I have no idea why. He was fine all day. Playing and eating. Running around outside all day. I don't understand how this could have happened.
Heart Cancer....my dog Shaggy was healthy..happy had a great appetite and zest for life.  He fell sick one day...I took him to the vet...4 days later my boy was gone.  hemangiosarcoma...it is a common cancer in large dogs not so much in my little Chinese Crested breed...

Terrible cancer.  You don't know they have it untill they are gone...or very sick.  

Miss my boy.  Hate the cancer.
Our beautiful, loving husky died suddenly yesterday afternoon.  He just turned seven on Christmas Day.  When we left to attend a funeral in the early afternoon, he seemed a little tired and lethargic.  We have been so cooped up because of the weather here, we thought that he might have been sad we we leaving and not going for a walk.  We told him we would walk when we got back home.  Never, ever did we expect to find him lifeless on the living room floor.  He was a happy, loving dog with no obvious ills that we knew of.  The only thing we note is that he had two really big pees prior to his passing.  Usually, he just did a little here, little there. What could have happened?  What could we have done?  I miss him so much....I dread the day ahead without him.
My 1.5 year old German Shepherd died yesterday. My parents and my brother were out and when they came back, Tommy was found in a pool of blood. He was healthy and playing happily until morning and they came back in the evening to find his corpse in a pool of his own blood. They buried him in the front yard. I guess I am lucky because I am in a different part of the country and I did not have to go through the pain of watching his corpse. If anybody could give me an explanation as to why this could have happened, I would be very grateful. Thanks.
My almost 8 year old Golden Retriever dies suddenly this morning. She had a cystic splenic mass removed 3 days ago. Within 24 hours of the surgery, so was up, eating and wanting to be playful. She was back to her normal healthy self. This morning, she woke up and was herself, happy. She went outside to poop, twice, then headed back to the house. She took a few steps, laid down, got up and tried to take a few more, but her legs gave out on her. I went out there, she was cold, her gums weren't pink, she was breathing differently, and not wanting to get up. We rolled her onto a blanket and carried her to the car. At the vet they gave her oxygen, a catheter , fluid, and were monitoring her. Her heart rate was down. Her x-rays showed her heart was slightly small, lungs slightly gray, but not terribly. The ultrasound showed no fluid in her abdomen. Over the next hour her heart rate and temperature continued t go down, and she passed right there, less than an hour after being completely happy and normal acting. We are being told it was most likely a blood clot. Has anyone else experienced this? We are grieving for our big girl, and want to know if we could have done more.
So sorry for your loss.
Our male Lab, Zeus, had a lump that we had removed. Within a year, we took him back to the vets because he wasn't doing well and having seizures.  They took X-rays and it should 10 to 12 rumors in his chest area.  I believe that first surgery caused the cancer to spread.  He was only three. That was devastating when we put him down.  Now last week, we just lost his sister suddenly.  It was 4 yrs between their deaths..  So sorry for your loss also.  
Im completely gutted , our beautiful King Charles aged 8 yrs died suddenly yesterday in Animal hospital , found out he had a Tumour on his kidneys , and eventually had kidney failure , he was a beautiful wee dog , and we loved him so much , can't stop crying xox
I am utterly heartbroken , my best friend died Thursday night out of nowhere he was such a happy, healthy and playful little guy. He was only 18 months old and we spoiled and showered him with love since the day we brought him home. He was only 2 months then. A small 3lb Papilion and by the time he passed away he wasn't much bigger. I played ball with him every single day. As soon as he heard my car door shut, I could see his little nose peeking thru the blinds and before I got to the front door, he would be there so excited . I just don't understand what happened to him. He was fine , happy as usual. Then all of a sudden he dropped to the ground screaming with all four of his legs stretched out stiff. We held him thinking maybe he hurt his paw but he immediately went limb. We ran to the animal hospital which was literally 2 mins up the road. But it was too late, he was gone before we got there. So literally 2hrs after we playing outside I had to bury him in the same place he loved to play. Now like most of you here. We have all experienced heartache over a breakup or whatever, but this truly the worst I have ever felt in my life. I am a grown man and I have been crying like a child for days. I just wish I could've saved him. All the ani al hospital could say is that it was possibly a blood clot , or aneurysm that may have ruptured and killed him. Now I loved this little guy and it was hard enough burying him, so I was not about to have him torn apart to get a better answer. God this is so hard.
I share you're pain, as I myself have had the torturous experience of losing my beloved dog , suddenly and unexpectedly. I have never been as heartbroken as I am now. So I understand how you feel and I can only hope that pain does not last as long as we cherish the memories of our list friends . ='(
I found my dog in the woods in back of my house had something that look like cornbread around his mouth . he was barking at something and then it got quite. no bullit spot or anything else.
Sounds exactly like when my dog died. He had eaten D-Con before but threw up and seemed fine until three weeks later, he was weak and tired and kind of walking around aimlessly and not eating. We watched him closely that day, thinking he just didn't feel good. The next day he got worse. It wad a weekend I was on the phone with the on call emergency vet when he died. I feel so guilty.
Please don't feel guilty. Just remember the love and good memories to get through the pain. We just lost our 5 year old Dexter in July. Maltese/Poodle. He was such a good boy. I can tell you all, I suffered a spinal cord injury in 2003. I wasn't near as sad to be paralysed from the chest down as I am now after losing Dexter. My heart will never heal for him. And I never completely want it to. He too died very suddenly. We took him to three different vets as he started showing symptoms of abdominal pain but nothing was found. He died on an early morning in my moms arms while suffering a seizure. I am here with you in this sadness. And it's ok to be sad. They were our precious and loved family members. We will see them again. They will wait for us. Thank you to everyone. I think you have helped us figure out what he died from. Hemangiosarcoma.

I love you, Dexter.