Dogs Community
Why is TTA surgery taking so long to heal?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Our 5 1/2 yr. old lab/shar pei/pit mix had TTA surgery 10 months ago on a partially torn ligament. Everything with the surgery seemed to go really well including the 8 weeks post op. He was doing so well that the physical therapist said that she would only recommend 3 PT appointments instead of the usual 8.  After about 16 weeks it seems that most dogs start being able to run and play again to some extent, but this never started for our dog. He is fine as long as he's only walking on leash, but he still gets incredibly sore from any running or jumping. This is obviously not normal and I feel SO badly for him because all he wants to do is hang out in the backyard all day and hunt squirrels.  I'm not sure if he has a meniscal tear or if there is something else wrong. His vet doesn't seem to have a solution other then keeping his activity limited and giving him an anti inflammatory. His surgeon thinks that although he got a meniscal release with the initial surgery he may have a torn meniscus. I'm incredibly hesitant to get anymore surgery for him because this surgery seems to have severely downgraded his quality of life instead of making it better and I don't want to risk that result again. Has anybody been in a similar situation or have any advise? Thanks!
I might go back to the physiotherapist and see what she thinks.  I would also try to find a way to give the dog enough of the gentle-type exercise that is tolerable to him that he actually gets a reasonably good workout, like gradually working him up to really long walks.  Also, swimming is supposed to be good exercise in this situation, if you are able to take him swimming.  My dog was recommended to swim after a severe shoulder injury a few years ago, and it was hard to find a place to do it, but I finally did.  She will only swim if I am in the water with her, which makes it even hard to find a place, but I found a lake where both dogs and humans are allowed.  Swimming might have to wait until summer, I realize.  Another consideration is that sometimes these things just take longer than expected.  (I myself had ankle surgery earlier this year, and the acute recovery took about twice as long as the surgeon led me to expect.)  Don't give up.  My dog's shoulder took forever to stop hurting her, but she is well now.  Oh, and one other thing, the local veterinary surgeon who does TTA's here recommends GlycoFlex III for all dogs who have had any type of severe ortho problems.  He recommended it for my dog.  I did put her on that, and since she is now better, I'm not taking her off of it.  Good luck.