Dogs Community
Why is my 12 year old dog having so much diarrhea?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Hello, I have a 12 year old Yorkshire Terrier, that has been having the diarrhea on and off for the past 2 months.  (more on then off) He has been treated and is on medications for a heart murmur and thyroid problem for years. In the early part of September his lungs filled up with fluid and got treatment which was corrected. Then the diarrhea started and a lot of it, plus a little vomiting, and that got corrected for a while. But now every night no and off he keeps getting some diarrhea. I find it in the morning when I wake up. I have been giving him about a half a tsp to a whole tsp of Kaopectate once or twice a day a few times, which does help. I can't keep giving him that all the time. Any suggestions?  What can be causing so much diarrhea all the time.  He's eating and drinking well. Plus he seems fine other then that problem. I don't want to keep going to the vet, because he is expensive and I'm just about tapped out from all of his lung xrays and blood work from his heart murmur. Thanks
Could be a number of things.  Have you changed foods at all?  What food are you feeding?  There are other OTC meds you can use but I hesitate to recommend anything here. I'd call your Vet and ask them about that.  They may give you some advice over the phone without you having to go in. I assume fecal exams were done?  Any test done for kidney/liver function?  I think they suggest those be done periodically when on the Rimadyl anyway.  You might try doing a gradual food chance to a food with no grains.  I've had good luck in the past with the Pro Plan Salmon for sensitive stomachs and the Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato, which is low in Phosphorus, should there be kidney issues going on.  
I had a Yorkie years ago that had some issues and my old time Vet had me cook his food. It consisted of lean hamburger (grease drained off), rice, zucchini and some tomato with water.  Made that into a stew and froze containers. My Vet then told me the pectin in the tomato would help coat the gut.  Of course now, many use probiotics.  He lived on this diet for many years.
My Vet is pretty good at taking calls and answering questions without me having to be running in there all the time.  Make out a list of questions and see if he/she won't get on the phone with you to discuss this.
I feed him Science Diet canned for years, so I don't believe that is his problem, but I did start a new treat. I stopped giving it to him a couple of days ago.  There still is a few drops of diarrhea that I find every morning.  My son said, that he has found both solid and the diarrhea.  His med's have been the same for years.  Thanks for your help.
When was the last time he had blood work done....?  
Sounds like he needs to have Kidney and liver functions tested.
Does he have any other issues....?  
Increased water consumption....increase of having to toilet at night...?
Accidents in the house...?
Sleeping more....or bad breath...?  
Vomiting intermittenly and diarrhea on/off.....
becoming finicky about what he eats....
All of the above are early indicators of possible kidney insufficiency.
also....
When was the last time he had a thyroid panel done...?
I would suggest that the dog have lab work done.....a complete renal and hepatic profile.    
I hope you will find an answer soon.....Best of luck, and keep us informed.
Connie
He does go out in the middle of the night. His eating and drinking are fine and he is already on a thyroid medication.  Today, I made an appointment with the vet to check his problem out. It isn't total diarrhea, it's solid, then some diarrhea after he goes.  He had blood work done this past summer, but he'll probably take some more when we go for his appointment. Thanks so much.
Best of luck at the Vets today...I hope they will find out what is wrong...and that it can easily be corrected.
Let us know....Connie
I took him to the vet and they did do blood work.  All was fine on that part. His intestinal track is all messed up from a previous illness. He is on 3 different types of medication for the problem, as well as special Science Diet food with extra fiber for a few days. I sure hope all of this helps regulate his system back to normal.   Thanks everyone for your advice.
I am so happy to hear that nothing new has evolved...!  I will be praying that he makes a speedy recovery and gets back to being his "normal" self.  Thank you for being a responsible pet owner....your dog is lucky to be part of your family.
Connie