Dogs Community
Won't eat, thin diarrhea, drinks then vomits

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Little eleven-year-old yorkie-poo-hauhau was fine last night.  Since this morning she won't eat, drinks water then vomits it, has thin brown (not bloody) diarrhea, and is lethargic and breathing with quiet discomfort sounds.  She comes to me like she wants to go out but then comes back in without doing anything.    I need to go to sleep and tried putting her on her bed in a box (she made quite a mess on the carpet while I was out for 3-1/2 hours) but she wants to be on my bed.  I held and stroked her for a while and she didn't seem to want to lay down, her eyes rolled back a bit and now she doesn't seem to be able to rest in one position for long.  I need to go to sleep but worry she'll be sick.  I live very far from a night vet (have no idea where there might be one, I'm in the boonies).  She's had all her shots (including bordatella) and monthly wormer.  I keep her teeth clean, gums look good.  I've probed her carefully and find no sensitive areas.  She's normally a real chow hound (she'll eat anything and may have eaten something bad while outside).  My neighbor worked for a breeder for many years and thinks it's nothing serious... I spent almost a thousand dollars at the vet twice in the past when my last dog (dachsund/beagle mix) got sick.  I'm broke now and I can't afford another big vet bill.  Any ideas?  If you reply here please PM me, too, so my email will beep me.  Thanks.
She's sleeping now.  Just spent two hours trying to search out similar problem on this forum.  Going to pray and go to sleep.
This morning she still vomits after drinking water (but she did pee).  She tried to poop but all that came out was a few spots of something that looked Like it contained fresh blood.  We are off to the vet.  
We are at the vet, waiting.  We've never been here before and they are fitting us in.  

It's been a very, very stressful year, but of my two girls Gidget has generally (but not always) seemed to deal best -- both dogs (see photos) are sensitive to my state of mind.  Went through most of a bottle of doggie calming herbs the past seven months.  

I was hospitalized last month for three weeks and strangers took care of them where I had been renting a room for only a week.  They have MANY dogs (twelve, eleven of which are mostly excitable little dachsunds rescued from a puppy mill that was shut down near here.   They also have (as pets) sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, geese, and a rescued raggedy turkey that wants to peck the dogs.  Gidget was a nervous wreck when I came home but seemed to settle down immediately.  Maggie is still terrified of all the strange animals.  

They're poor (their only income is from renting the rooms in their house) and feed foods collected from outside the trash at grocery stores to their animals.  Gidget might have gotten into some of that, I don't know.  None of the other dogs there is sick (I am watching her sister closely).  

After spending hours trying to find a post here with a similar description of symptoms I am terrified of what this could be, but trying to hide my anxiety from the girls (Maggie has never spent a moment by herself since her rescue ten years ago so I brought her along rather than leave her shut up alone in a place she is afraid of -- the man who rents the room next to mine might have watched her for me but he's kind of crazy, he has a cat, and his room is the only one in the house that hasn't been treated for this year's heavy infestation of fleas).  

The girls have never before been exposed to so many fleas, flea spray, and carpet treatment.  We've gone as much as possible with natural oils, but some insecticide for fleas was needed.  I tried to be very careful.  

I've got a severe cold with laryngitis -- the first I've had in so long I can't remember the last time.  Could my illness and Gidgie's be due to this unaccustomed chemical exposure?  I am very chemical sensitive (can't get near bleach, solvents, etc. without feeling I'll very quickly... practically can't even walk down the household cleansers aisle at the supermarket.

Gidgie's eyes look good (the flea spray made Maggie's gunky).  She's resting quietly in her beddie-box.  

Any encouragement?
You are at the right place....bringing you dog to the vet is exactly what you needed to do.  If they suggest a blood draw, by all means....have it done....!
Many questions will be answered by the results, and considering the age of your dog, it is a good idea to have it done.....Best of luck to you and your dog.
Connie
Just got back from the vet.  While we were there she nibbled at a bisquit and a bit of wet dog food, establishing that she could eat if she wanted to (He said the nervousness of being at the vet increases adrenaline and therefore appetite, overcoming some of the lethargy, and he wanted to see if she vomited, which she did not).  He gave me a handful of possible Dx's: hemmorhagic gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, bowel obstruction, and I forget what else.  But to save me money right now he's going with garbage-can-itis... he thinks she might have gotten into some of the trash food put out for the other animals.  

So he gave her a sub-cutaneous injection of fluids, an injection to prevent vomiting for 24 hours, an antibiotic injection, some antibiotic pills to start tonight, and told me to see if she will eat some plain, boiled rice or instant mashed potatoes (no meat or seasoning).  

If that doesn't do it I'm to bring her back.
I'm hoping it is the garbage -can- itis....!  Be sure to let me know how things are going....!   I hope you and your dogs get a good night's sleep....sounds like you both need one.....Best wishes...Connie
I very much would like to know how your sweet baby is and what was the final diagnosis as y diamond has not eaten much in 2 days , same symptoms as yours, she tried to eat a few bites of food then threw up on my sofa its the bloody looking stool water that has me frightened as well she feels feverish on her belly.