Dogs Community
Won't stop licking and eating bandages

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Won't stop licking and eating bandages

I have a three year old lab that had part of her tail removed about a week ago.  The vet gave us a E-collar to put on her so she can't get to her bandages.  Well she somehow is figuring out a way to get to them.  She is only left for a few hours a day and everytime I come back home she has eaten her bandages off and has somehow gotten out of her E-collar.  As a result, she now has an infection from licking the wound. Is there something else I can do to keep her from licking and eating her bandages??  Thankyou for your help.  
Tags: stop
  • foot wound (1 replies):
    our large dog, has had a foot injury for months. we have...[more]
  • molting (2 replies):
    I've got 2 cockateils that i try and spray with lice spr...[more]
  • spray me (6 replies):
    My kitten zoolander went around the house peeing on ever...[more]
  • Help Please!!! (3 replies):
    Hi, I have a cat who just turned 1 year old and has b...[more]
  • Neutering a Male cat (1 replies):
    Ok, I have a 2 year old Male Maine Coon. I am getting hi...[more]
The vet should have some type of a product to spray on the bandage to make it taste awful so that the dog will leave it alone.  Ask if they carry a product such as this, because most vets do.  If not, go to a pet store and purchase a spray bottle of Grannick's Bitter Apple and spray that on the bandage.  She should leave it alone after spraying it with the bitter apple, or at least even if she eventually develops a taste for the bitter apple, which some dogs do, it will take long enough for that to happen that the tail will have enough time to heal.

Ghilly
We got veriton spray from our vet for a dog who was like yours.  It works well with some dogs, but not all of them.   Same for the Bitter Apple spray.  You just want to make sure it isn't sprayed on an open wound.  Both sprays need to be applied at least every 12 hours.  Good luck!
Thanks for the help!  The problem is that I am currently living overseas so I am dealing with foreign doctors and don't have access to the Bitter Apple Spray.  I will definitely ask them about the veriton though.  It is all so frustrating!  
Variton!  That's the stuff!  I couldn't for the life of me think of the name of it.  After I posted I went nuts for the better part of an hour trying to remember that name and finally gave up.  LOL

Ghilly