Dogs Community
Wound not healing after surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Wound not healing after surgery

I have a mix boxer that had surgery back in May 30 for a tumor remove.  Well he was fine for two days but the stitches rip off, w/in three days the vet did another surgery to close the stitches and ask us to pay attention to the dog not to scratch.  Well w/in 2 to 3 days all the stitches rip off again. The vet ask request for surgery again or to leave the wound open and eventually it will close w/in 1 month.  Today is June 15 not one month yet, but the wound it is still open about a bottle top wide.  We have been taking care of him with neurosporin and with a red cream; the vet gave us to add inside the wound.  The wound has not close at all and I am very concern that this will take more than a month to heal.

I am very upset at the vet, because he blame everything on my dog, he should not scratch, but the tumor was on the right down of his neck and if he walks, sit of anything that area will always be moving.  I would like to know if there anything else I can put on the dog wound and how long will it take to close that whole.

I have to say I suggest taking him to a different Vet and have it closed again as you are risking him getting an infection.

Based on where you say the incision is I would think that you could wrap a sterile dressing around it and change it frequently. There is also a tool that the Vet can use to file down his nails on the leg he is using to scratch it with. While the Vet will not file them down all the way they can be rounded off so that it will be more difficult for the dog to open the sutures if he scratches at it.

I can't think of anything else to do that would be more reasonable.

Good Luck.
I just commented on his picture. He looks very healthy. How old is Spike and what kind of tumor was removed if you don't mind my asking?
I personally would try a different vet.  If there is enough skin to close the wound, I'd ask the new vet to stitch it up. And I'd ask him to prescribe a heavy duty anti-biotic.  You might also ask your Vet for anti-biotic powder (such as Nel-Predef) to use for the wound dressing.

You should keep the wound clean, covered, dry, and protected at all times.  

Farm Supply stores sell Povidone-Iodine in a 10% solution, (look in the horse section).  I would buy a tiny spray bottle from Walmart, (usually found around the shaving & soap areas at the end of an aisle where they sell travel size samples, travel soap dishes, etc...)  Fill your tiny spray bottle with the povidone-iodine.  Every morning I would remove the bandage, check the wound.  If it looks good, spray/saturate it with the povidone-iodine, soaking up the excess with a sterile gauze or white/clean paper towel as it drips off, (try not to directly touch the wound).  Use a hair dryer on a cool low setting to get the total area dry again.

If the suture line does not look good, (angry or oozy) when you check the wound, I would first clean with a wound wash solution- there is one that comes in a clear blue bottle at Walmart in the band-aid section that is anti-bacterial, and made for rinsing out wounds. Or, you could even clean with hydrogen peroxide to get the puss areas really cleaned.  Just keep in mind, hydrogen peroxide will actually interfere with healing by stripping away good healing bacteria, so you only want to use hydrogen peroxide to clean in the event of a messy pus situation.  Once cleaned and dry, then do the povidone-iodine spray, and blow dry.  The povidone leaves a protective coat.  

Once dry, you can either puff a bit of the anti-biotic powder directly onto the suture line, or put the powder on the non-stick bandage pad that will directly cover the wound.  

The bandage that goes directly over the wound should be non-stick- like a 4x4 Telfa square.  You may have to be creative with your bandage in finding what works/stays on with a wound in that location.  Often a Kotex over the Telfa works quite well- it provides padding/protection and is also clean and absorbant.  Vet wrap (like an ace bandage that sticks to itself when wrapped) can often be used to hold a bandage in place.  You can usually find vet wrap cheaper at a Ranch & Home or Farm Supply store than at a pet store.  Walmart also carries the people version in the band-aid section.  You may have alter an old t-shirt or tankini top (stretchy) to fit on your dog over the wound area as a way of keeping the bandage in place.  

Don't use Neosporin- it actually interferes with healing.  If your new vet has some reason to recommend use of a anti-biotic ointment, Polysporin is the one to use-  any plastic surgeon will tell you the same.  I wouldn't recommend an ointment, personally, (unless your doctor is into that for some reason).  Wounds usually heal better when kept dry and sterile.  (ointments, being wet, can get itchy)  

Diet is very important. High protein.  My step-son had a horrific wound on the top of his foot after a motorcyle accident.   The doctor had me give him 3 zinc tablets a day, and 3 large Vitamin C a day, and protein, protein, and more protein.  I follow the same routine whenever I have an injured animal, and it works very well for healing-  I guess the body needs excess of these in order to repair tissue.

Keep your dog dry, (out of the water/rain).  Petco, (and Smartpak.com) sells a blow-up donut ring to be warn around a dogs neck.  That might also help keep the bandage in tact, and prevent your dogs foot/nails from coming into contact with the stitches.
My dog is going through the same with her neck wound. How did your dogs wound finally heal? We are frustrated and looking to visit a new vet after the second attempt to keep wound closed...It is starting to pull apart again. The wound is about 3-4 inches long on the crease of her neck..any help would be appreciated
I am also having the same problem
My dog had neck surgery - just like described above in June 2011.
It never healed

Had repeat surgery this june 2012 to clean out area and create new surface to scar/heal.

Once again, no healing.

My dog is on extended antibiotics and I am cleaning every day with a lightly soapy warm washcloth/warm compress.
I'll drop the Hydrogen Peroxide based on above
I am also spraying once twice or three times a day with Veterycyn spray.

I am despairing that this will never heal.

I also went for a second opinion with another vet facility and they supported the original vet's decision.

I'm going to try the above suggestions...I would love some feed back from:
dodmom192

P
My dog just had a tumor removed from the side of his "junk" and they actually had to remove it. Definitely a bummer but the tumor was out of control. Anyway, he ripped six stitches four days in and the vet did two rows of tension stitches and one to back it up. He's taking Clavamox and another pain pill that the vet recommended. I keep it very clean with a solution given by the vet followed with iodine. So it's been two weeks and the wound seems like it hasn't healed...
How has the protein worked? I'm going to start with some whey protein tonight but any updates or tips would be much appreciated.
Rob
The dog may be allergic to the interior stitches.  When this happens, the stitches do not dissolve as they are supposed to, but ball up inside necessitating another surgery to remove them.  Then the animal must heal WITHOUT stitches, through tight bandaging which must be changed often.  This allergic reaction can result in infection as you describe.....
Thank you for your very detailed and informative response to the question. I too have a dog with what started out as a possible spider bite on his leg, 19 months ago. We have spent literally thousands of dollars on vet procedures and home supplies. He has had surgery, stitches, staples, acupuncture, laser, blood tests, etc. Yes, he has an e-collar, 3 in fact that I have purchased for his comfort. I should own stock in the Vet wrap companies! I have just ordered the antibiotic powder that you mentioned, more bandages and vet wrap. I will not give up! Thanks again!
karen
***@****
My dog had a pocket of blood in his ear. He had surgery May 4th and the incision didn't close until the end of June instead of 10 days as per the Vet.  The Vet scrapped the incision every two days for 3-4 weeks and checked him for infection.  It's now closed but not completely healed.  The Vet originally thought the antibiotic caused the problem, but that's out of his system and he still has a problem with wounds healing.  He was scratched on his nose by a cat and that wound is still bleeding and remains open after 5 weeks.  He had a leg removed and two knee surgeries when he was a pup and had no problems healing at that time.  Does anyone have an idea or knowledge as to what the problem could be?