Dogs Community
Yellow Lab Hair Loss. WHY?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Yellow Lab Hair Loss. WHY?

We have a 10 yr. old yellow lab and he is losing a lot of his hair. He has blad spots. I knoew labs tend to shed a lot, but this doesnt seem normal. You just pet him and fur falls off in clumbs. He is really ichy...like when you pet him he does that leg thing, with his rear legs, like they lift it up and shake it sort of. There are scabs all around his body...not thousands, but a good amount. None of them are to large, but they are ichy and hair jsut falls out if you touch them. His fur also seems to be a little more greasy then normal. He has had two lumps, no cancours just fatty bulid up, removed surgically perviously. When this all started, or I noticed it starting, was after he had a tooth operation, to take a tooth out becuase the root was exposed. I have taken him to the vets once before about this and they gave me some antibodics and a special shampoo. I still use the shampoo but its not getting better. I am really worried about him. I am a college student so I am only home sometimes and I cant seem to convice my mom he needs to go to the vets. So any information you could give me, so I could tell her and convince her that he needs to go to the vets would be great. I dont know what is causing this! So please HELP!! Thank you so much!
SarahRose
Oh your poor dog!  He's got to be absolutely miserable with the itching.  Your mom MUST take him back to the vet.  Obviously the shampoo isn't helping whatever the problem may be.  Other possibilities would be mange or a fungal skin infection.  The treatments are very different for these conditions and not something you can do without the help of a veterinarian.  The scabbing really concerns me too, because that may indicate that he now has a staph infection as a result of whatever is causing the hair loss.  The longer your mom waits to get him to a vet, the more expensive it will likely be.  I really hope you can convince her a trip to the vet is way past due.