Dogs Community
Yelping when barely touched

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Yelping when barely touched

My schnauzer/ golden retr. Mix dog is happy, loving, playful, he plays with our smaller schnauzer and wrestles all day long.
Eating the same.
Sleeping and resting a bit more, lays on cold tile now for past month, rarely comes in the den with us now.
Every night he and I would cuddle on the couch, he won't jump up any more. I tried picking him up and he screamed like crazy, when I touched belly underside and another time under arms, another time supporting his hips while lifting him, screamed, helped loud every time. Even weirder going to pet him, barely touch his hair he yelps, his hips....so weird.  
My husband and I today both at different times checked every inch of his body, gently pressing joints, muscles, checked paws, claws, ears.... nothing!

All I can think of obviously is it is something we can't see. Toothache? Hemorrhoids, would worms do this?

If I were to describe in human terms, I would almost guarantee fibromyalgia, but he runs and wrestles all day long with his playmate
Tags: yelping, Dogs
This is indeed very strange.
My first thought was intavertebral disk disease (slipped disk or similar)...but to hear how happily he plays and wrestles without any yelping or discomfort, makes me wonder if that could be possible, as it would surely hurt like heck to play if he had that.

I definitely think you should run this past your vet. And I would do that as soon as possible.

But I also had a thought about possible nerve inflammation. Once I had nerve inflammation in my arm, and the lightest touch -even the touch of my sleeve against my skin- used to burn and hurt, whereas if I pressed REALLY firmly it didn't hurt at all! (What had happened in my case was the muscle had spasmed and trapped a nerve in a very peculiar way. Acupuncture cured it totally in 5 minutes!)

Another thought....could it possibly be static electricity? I was once stroking a cat, and the cat suddenly yelped as static crackled briefly. Just as a test, try stroking him when you are wearing nothing at all! or only pure cotton.

But all that aside, if he DOES have disk disease, or the beginnings of arthritis, he needs it diagnosed very quickly before any further damage is done.
Were thinking maybe his tail now, its a muscle I guess we found a scab on it also, it would explain him helping when we walk by him even barely touching him because he has to move out of the way so fast. Today, no crying. Will monitor one week. Thanks
:-)
I am having the exact same issue with my Chihuahua .
The strange thing is, my partner plays with him all the time, and no yelping.
Then sometimes I'll go to barely touch him, and he screams

Is there a static Discharge we could be giving off that we don't feel, but is painful to our dogs ?

Please Someone help. this is very sad.
Well, if you try touching the ground firmly before touching him. Touching the ground should discharge any static if it was that. If he still yelps then he needs to see a vet.
He couldn't be screaming when you touch him because he didn't see you coming? And it gives him a scare? In which case it might be a vision problem (peripheral vision)
But that's just a guess on my part. So it might be best to take him to be checked out.
Ginger gave you good advice and it may be worth checking into.

When your partner plays with the dog, is there actual body contact or just playing with toys, etc?  

When you touch the dog, how do you do so and where, Ie, picking him up, touching his head, back, leg?  

Have you or your partner gone over the dog, slowly and thoroughly, to see if there are any tender spots?  I would start there.

Not making light of this but some small dogs can just be a bit overdramatic.  I have a Chihuahua mix here that can be that way.  Sometimes we will pick her up and she will yelp for no damn reason.  She is very foot sensitive and sometimes will yelp if you touch her foot, any foot.  So, I work on feet handling just to get her used to it and realize every time her foot is touched does not mean she is getting nails cut!  

So, do a little more observation and see if you can possibly determine a cause.
Dogs that suddenly have touch or behavior and obedience sensitivity may have dementia or mental dysfunction due to hormone and endocrine system issues.  As they get older, they will feel pain, especially if they are out of shape.  However, their reasoning cognitive mind begins to fail as they age.  Some dogs will think that the pain is coming from some external force - like you when you pick them up.  Or sometimes, they have forgotten how to understand basic cooperative training.  They perceive all of their discomfort as somehow attacking them from the outside and do not realize that their discomfort is coming from some internal factor.  Dogs cannot reason and say to themselves, "I think I am forgetting how to relate and behavior towards my human."  They simply respond with the most easiest and instinctive emotion available which is usually fear or some kind of unhappy response to actions around them or affecting them like touch.

One person may be able to play with the dog and touch the dog and another may not be able to at all without the dog falling apart at the seams.  This may be, but not always, due to some dementia or neuro dysfunction of the brain.  It may also be heart related.  Dogs have irregular heart beats which are supposed to be "normal" for dogs.  However, I believe that generations of poor breeding has left our dogs with dysfunctioning organs and erratic heart functions which also, as you know with people, can affect the mind.  Heart function is related to mind wellness and unfortunately, some dogs have over-heated rapid heart rates that tend to "burn" them up. This tends to create emotional instability as a dog ages.  

As they age, their organ functions, hormone systems, and endocrine systems can get out of wack long before their physical body shows any signs of breakdown.  Some dogs have strong bodies and some have strong healthy minds but not all dogs have it all.

Fear seems to come out in a dog as they age more.  Things they used to be totally fine with can become something dreadful later.   This is because normal hormone functions they used to have (or would have had if they were not fixed), would gradually see them into their old age.  But because the dogs do not have the hormone balance they would have if they were not fixed, they can fall apart more easily and degenerate quickly in mind or body - or both.  

My miniature pinscher is going through the same thing.  Tested for hypothyroidism, and the final definitive test came back negative.  She was on a maintenance dose of prednisone (1/4 tablet twice a week) until the end of April and was decently normal, other than avoiding touch.  Just this weekend, it started again. She'll yelp when I approach her crate to let her out after work.  She will yelp as I open the door.  She used to be my "cuddle bug." Couldn't get her away from me to get any work done!  But now, rolling onto her back doesn't happen.  Sometimes, laptime does occur, but not for extended periods of time.

Currently, she will often choose hard surfaces to lay down.  When my husband comes home, her tail wags and he pets her with no issue.  She will play with toys and chase things for extended periods of time.  She is eating and drinking normally, but has begun to turn her nose up at treats that used to be her favorite (not all treats, just some). We have a vet appointment on Thursday, but this has been an ongoing cycle since last June.  An X-ray simply revealed inflammation in the spinal column, but the vet didn't seem too concerned.
Keep us updated. My min pin yelp this morning when I went to pet him, but within mins he let me pick him up. It was odd. His behavior is like your dog.
hi!
We are having the same problem with or dog but he has an ear infection. We give him these special drops in his ears but everytime  we pick him up he yelps. Even the slightest touch he still screams. He  only yelps though when we tough under his arm or where is rip cage is. This has been happening for a couple of days and we have already taken him to the vet. The vet touched every inch of him but he didn't yelp at all!  We think he might have another problem but we are not sure!
I have had min pins for years. They all yelp randomly. Stop wasting your money on vets. They are just weird little dogs.