after liver shunt surgery
hi, I have a 15 month old shitzu who just had liver shunt surgery and will be on a special diet for ever and I need a low protein snack for my lil shitzu help me please!!!!
Is "I need a low protein snack" the only restriction on the diet. Why is the diet restricted, and from what?

No Grain and not "junk" in food is in general a good practice, but some dogs, mine, have food allergies which may include chicken, beef and pork I suppose.  We're trying potato and fish formula now.  

Any treat that doesn't list any protein may work, no chicken, beef... good luck that stuff is in almost every thing in the treat line.  

If you dog loves to eat, it should be easy, my dog rejects most treats.
my dog is picky and after surgery low protein diet for the rest of his life his liver doesnt process well
he is on this special food that is perscription only but the dr said he can have fruit and vegi's
i am looking for a recipe that might include them
My mini Schnauzer is three years post liver shunt surgery. She eats Hills Science Diet LD food. For treats I bake the Hills Science Diet LD canned food and she loves carrots.