Dogs Community
aspiration pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

aspiration pneumonia

I am a veterinary medicine student and I'm having my on-job training in a small animal clinic, which was not that advanced or we just say, the facilities are obsolete.  I've encountered a case in which a 5-day old puppy was brought in the clinic with hemoptysis, I concluded that it was aspiration pneumonia because the puppy was only been nursed by the owner... We immediately administered antibiotics and wasn't able to put on IV fluids due to the small size of the puppy, we tried administering oral fluids, but it doesn't work well.... after an hour, the puppy died and coughed a lot of blood.... Is there anything that we have neglected that leads to the death of the puppy? I really believe that we could still do anything to save the puppy, I just don't know the procedure...
I wish I could help you, but I do not have the experience with this.
At least I can bump up your post, so others here might have an answer. Or you could post on the "Ask a Vet" forum, where a qualified vet (Dr Aleda Cheng) will answer you. It may take a little while to get a reply but I'm sure you will get one there.
This is why I hate to see people raising puppies on bottles.  It's VERY easy for a puppy to aspirate milk replacer while being fed with a bottle, since for some reason it's human nature to want to place an animal on its back like a human baby to nurse, failing to realize that the natural nursing position for puppies and kittens is on their bellies.  Yes, they sometimes get turned over, but for the most part you will always see them on their bellies while they're nursing.  

I have often thought the same as you, that there HAS to be something that can be done.  I have never had the opportunity to try this, but I have thought about it a lot, and, in cases of aspiration, why wouldn't it be possible to swing the puppy like you swing them when they are whelped to get the amniotic fluid out of their lungs?  You cradle the puppy in both hands and use your thumbs and forefingers to stabilize the head, and holding the puppy, stand with your feet apart and raise the puppy up over your head, bringing your arms down in a swinging motion, and when you get to the bottom of the arc, you stop abruptly, causing anything in the puppy's lungs to be expelled from the force of the snap.  I have seen amniotic fluid literally SPRAY out of their little mouths and noses when this procedure is done at whelping, and as soon as the fluid is gone, their cries become very strong and normal as opposed to weak, thready and gargly sounding beforehand because of the fluid.

Again, I've never had the opportunity to try this, but I am thinking about it, and I can't come up with any reason why it would not work, especially in a puppy that it still in its first week.  

It's so dang easy to tube feed puppies, I really wish that anyone who was of a mind to breed (and I wish there were a lot fewer of those, too) would learn how to tube feed before producing a litter of puppies.  Even if the mother is fine and can feed them, there are still times when supplementing is necessary, and I CRINGE every time someone talks about feeding puppies or kittens with one of those stupid little bottles!  AAAAARRRGH!!!!

Ghilly
What country are you currently in?  Was there no licensed vet there to help?  Why was this left to you to diagnose and treat?