bacterial meningitis in dogs- contagious?
My dog was recently diganosed with bacterial meningitis following a spinal tap. We do not have the pathology report back to determine which bacteria he is infected with. He is responding to treatment. During the days before he became ill and following I had contact with my two very young nieces and nephews. Are any of us at risk? I am also scheduled to have surgery in two days and am concerned. There is a lot of information out there for steroid responsive meningitis indicating that it is not contagious, but very little about bacterial meningitis.
I only did a little bit of research after you responded to my thread about seizures and it seems as though canine meningitis is different than the human type, so I think that you are fine, but ask your vet to double check.

For my info, what other symptoms than seizures did your dog have?
my dog has meningitis   and still find it hard very time drug cut down it come back is 4 year old whippet and sometime not sure which way to trun . the bills are get big 12,000 now . I am so worry for her. she still on a lot pills for it and very drugs for pain and other drug any one who can help me or just someone who had with dog to chat to would be help pls ***@****
I really was unsure about this so I did a bit of quick research online, and came up with information on this site:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/meningitis-symptoms-in-dogs.html

Where it says that bacterial meningitis in dos is NOT transmittable to humans.
Have you spoken to your vet about this? I am sure a phone call to ask that question, under the circumstances, would help set your mind at rest. The vet ought to know.(?)