Dogs Community
biting and barking problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

biting and barking problems

I havre a 5yr old Jack Russell Terrior and he tries to bite certain people and barks a lot. The reason why he tries to attack certain people is because when he was a puppy the neighbor children would throw rocks at him, hit him with sticks and their backpacks and try to run him over with their bikes when he was on his chain. What can I do to help him to stop these bad behaviors?
Well I probably shouldn't say this but if I were him I'd have my teeth at the ready too! lol!
No seriously, he mustn't continue like this. While it's understandable considering his history (he's learned that aggression keeps bullies at bay) it's now inappropriate.
I wish I could be of more direct help to you but am unsure how best to handle behavioural problems like this.
My best suggestion would be to try and post your question on this forum. It is under "Related Expert Forums" on MedHelp, and you will most likely receive an answer from a vet there:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Pet-Behavior-Problems/show/369
I do apologize. It appears this forum is closed, and only archives available! I tried to enquire but couldn't get anywhere yet....
Anyway -hang in because you are sure to get a good answer from another Community member here.
It's unfortunate that cruel hearted idiots have done this to him, and while it is understandable given the circumstances, as Ginger has said, it IS inappropriate behavior and must be stopped.  Parson Russell Terriers, depending on their bloodlines, can have attitude problems even when raised WITHOUT being harassed, so if you are to be successful at breaking this behavior, I would go right to the top and instead of messing around trying to do it yourself, I would consult a canine behaviorist.  Veterinarians usually have at least one or two that they can refer you to, so I would call the vet's office, explain the situation to them, and ask them who they recommend you should call.

I would do this ASAP because if this happened to him when he was a puppy and he is now 5 years old, this behavior has had time to become deep seated.  Hopefully it's not too late already, but depending on how much psychological damage was done to him, you may never be able to trust him around certain people.  

Just out of curiosity, did you ever confront the parents of these heathens about their childrens' behavior?  This type of behavior is inexcusable, even in children, and should have been reported at LEAST to the parents, and if that didn't help, I would have notified the police about it.  If these kids were just allowed to do this without being reprimanded, it is doubtful that they stopped it on their own and quite possibly could have gone on to do even more serious damage to other animals.  

Please keep us posted as to your little one's progress.  I wish you the best and hope you are able to correct his problem.

Ghilly
He has gotten better over time but there are still some issues with adults and children with backpacks or shoulder bags like a mailman carries. If someone has a stick and they but it down then he knows that they aren't going to hurt him. He still has a problem with people on bikes but I keep him on a leash when walking and he isn't chained up anymore. I will ask my vet about recommending me to a behavioral specialist.