Dogs Community
can I give my dog 1/4 tab of soma?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

can I give my dog 1/4 tab of soma?

My 8 year old poodle has subluxation in the center of here back. She is crying in pain today after falling and twisting her back. We have had exrays adequin injections, she has sen a neurologist who reffered me to a chiroprator for and adjustment about 6 weeks ago which helped tremendously. She also gave me arnica , hypericum and aconidum which I have given here today to no avail. I have called the chiropractor and left a message for an appointmnt but have not heard back from her yet. I was wondering if I could possibly give her a 1/4 tablet of soma for pain safely.
Thank,
Sherry
I am so sorry to read your pet is in pain.  I now nothing breaks my heart more than when my dog suffers any injury.  While there are some medicines that can be used on both humans and dogs, you need to consult a vet to verify that it is safe.  Try calling an emergency vet in your area or take your dog in to see them.  
txsilver gave you some excellent advice.  Do try to call an ER vet for advice on that question.  I don't think dogs can take soma - I do know some other human muscle relaxers are OK, but don't know about soma.  It's so powerful I would hesitate to consider it anyway.  

One thing you might try is a little bit of heat with a heating pad to increase the circulation to the area of injury.  Just a few minutes should help, and not more than 15.  Once you get her relaxed, try a litlte VERY gentle massage with the tips of your fingers.  Slowly compress the muscle in the direction it grows, from the spine and then outward.  If she seems to relax, you can go a little deeper - just watch her reaction to see if it's too much.  Massage is a wonderful thing for animals just like it is for humans.  I've used it on horses and my dogs, and you know they're in the "zone" when their heads hang down, their eyes close, and their noses start running.

You could also try benadryl to help her sleep.  The dose is 1mg per pound of the dog's weight.

You can also ask Med Help's veterinarian, Dr. Cheng, for advice on the Pet Health forum.  The link is on the right side of this page about halfway down.  Dr. Cheng practices Chinese, holistic medicine as well as traditional western medicine, and I'm sure she'll give you some great ideas for pain management.  :-)
No soma for dogs please.  enteric coated asprin until you get her to the vet.  or better yet go back to the chiro and stick with the arnica.  I use hyalarunic supplement for my girl that has severe hip dysplasia, she is six and she is not in any pain at all.  good luck

Denise
Just wanted to Thank everyone for their advice about the soma. I did not give it to her ofcourse. Pebbles is much better! She was adjusted by the chiropractor- vet this morning and is taking homeopathic meds. She is tired but seems to no longer be in pain.
Thanks to all!
Sherry
YEAH!  Thank you for sharing the outcome!  I hope she has nothing but pain free days from now on!  
I was thinking about this and I have acepromazine on hand for times like these when a vet is not available.  Glad she is feeling better.

Denise
Good evening I am in need of a low income vetenerian.  I am in west Los Angeles area.  Please help me care for my dog... lost my job...  I will be working soon ..  but my dog is in need of a good vetenerian.   Thanks...  
Hi Mugris & welcome.....Contact any local SPCA or Humane Society in your area.....They will either provide a low income service or can steer you in the right direction to find one.....Good luck....Karla
My dog was in severe pain, actually screaming.  I spent $450.00 for x-rays, sedation, prednisone, and $100.00 for tramadol.  She was shaking uncontrollably, crying, and just miserable.  After six weeks nothing worked.  I gave her 1/2 a 350mg Soma.  After three pills in four days, she is back to her normal playful self.  She is a four year old German Shepard mix.  I could not see her suffer, and if the Soma hurt her or did nothing, I was going to have her put down because I was suffering just seeing her in that much pain.
A couple of things here, bbcody.  

The first is that the post you are responding to is over 5 years old.  Please look at the dates on the posts you are responding to so that the forum doesn't get clogged up with old posts whose authors are long gone from this forum.

Secondly, if you wish to ASK a question, please start a new thread, since it's unlikely that very many posters will bother to read a thread that was started 5+ years ago to give you the answers you are looking for.

Lastly, and most importantly, DO NOT tell people that it is OK to give their pets human medication (or pet medication, for that matter) without telling them to speak with their veterinarians first.  Many human medicines that are beneficial and work wonders for us are LETHAL to pets, and by telling someone to just go ahead and do something that you have already done could be telling them to do something that could ultimately result in the death of their pet.  The fact that Soma helped your dog and did not hurt her at all may have just been pure luck, and the dosage that helped a German Shepherd could easily kill a poodle (what if it was a Toy Poodle that weighed 8 pounds?).  

If you want to tell people what you did that helped you then that is fine, but you need to preface it with a disclaimer that you should never give your pet anything without first running it by your vet because something that worked for one may not work for another and could, in fact, have the opposite effect.  Thanks for understanding.

Ghilly
Where did u get your veterinarian degree?? WHO ARE U??? Do you own this thread or just another know it all??? I actually NEEDED to see her post TODAY and Im glad she posted what she did. YOU BUTT OUT and if we need your opinion WE'LL give it to you!