can anything be done for kidney failure in dogs?
i wrote on here while ago that my dog Jamie was sick ( not eating properly, throwing up, not acting herself etc. ) from tests today i found out that she has severe kidney failure im so upset i dont know what im going to without her shes my best friend the best dog anyone could have. at the vet today she has 2 blood tests and other stuff didnt growlor yelp once she is so good. just a couple of days ago she caught a red belly black snake where my baby sister usually plays. im crying atm im trying not 2 let it show just yet i dont want her 2 b sad because i am in her last days. we have to put her 2 sleep soon maybe wednesday before she goes through any more pain. she has lost 2 kg in a week and a bit and alot of weight before than. the vet said there is nothing we can do for this. i wanted to check to see if anyone knew on here if there was anything at all that we could do to help her? please help me.
Hang in there.  God will give you the strength you need to make it through.  Cherish the time you have with Thor.  You are such a good mom and believe me, Thor knows that.  We are hear to listen.  We know it is so hard....
I am sorry you are having a bad day, but please know, you may have a good day too.  It is O.K. if you don't post anything, but just a plea for help and support.  Or if you want to post and tell us you are screaming, that is O.K. too.  We are here for you, and we care so much.  Let us know how things are going.   Aggieone
I am sorry you are having a bad day, but please know, you may have a good day too.  It is O.K. if you don't post anything, but just a plea for help and support.  Or if you want to post and tell us you are screaming, that is O.K. too.  We are here for you, and we care so much.  Let us know  when you can how things are going for all of you.   Aggieone
My dog recently died of kidney failure. He stopped eating and then he started trying to throw up the pills we gave him. On his last night he began bleeding out of his mouth. If anyone needs moral support, I am here. I would completely recommend the Pet Angel memorial center if there is one by you. My dad said we could have him cremated and I could keep him with me. It is really nice there and they treat you kindly. They don't call it your dog or your pet, they call it your baby. I know for me, that's what mine are - my babies. I think they have cremation, burial, and other services. It's just a nice place.
Hello, and Good Morning. First of all I want to deeply Thankyou for all your loving words of support. This morning I had to make the big decision, Saturday we are going to go and have our baby put down, he is so weak and this morning I had to help him hold himself up to go to the bathroom. I dont want him to loose all of his dignity, and I can see it in his beautiful eyes that he is ready, I feel like he is telling me that he is ready so we are going to go and take him out of his misery. He still tries to get up and go outside to smoke with me because for his whole life he has always been my protector, I can see it in his eyes and the way he is acting like he feels like he is letting me down because he just cant get up and go everytime. I continually try to reassure him that it is ok and I still LOVE him very much. Even when he vomits he is trying to hide it so I wont have to clean it up again, I keep telling him that it is O.K. and he is not in trouble, but I can tell he feels guilty. We have to do the right thing by him not just try to keep him around for us. I know all of you can relate with me and I thank God I found this site. I really hope you all have a great day and Thank you again for everything. I will write more later and let you all know how we are doing.
Chrissy1029
I am so sorry you are having to face this with your baby, but you are doing the right thing for him, your last great sacrifice for him.  Sandy Grace hid to throw up too, sometimes she would go or try to go behind the curtains, or behind the nightstands.  I never fussed at her for throwing up, but she felt like she had to hide .  I told her it was O.K. too, but you are right, having to help them with their personal business and clean up after them humiliates them.  You are such a good mom to your baby and you have fought hard to help him through this.  My heart and prayers will be with you as you face this with your baby.  Stay with us, as we will walk every step with you and support you in your darkest hours.  Imagine a hug from me.   Aggieone
Well,
Saturday March 29, 2008, at 1:00 p.m. our baby past away. The vet was real nice and very considerate to us. My husband and I got on the floor with our baby Thor and just held him and let him know we truly loved him and then we stayed with him until he past away. My heart just absolutly broke, but thanks to my wonderful husband I was able to pick myself up and actually say goodbye to him. But I have found that when I got up that first morning with no-one here it really hit me, my baby was really gone...I still  struggle with that, but I know it will eventually get better. Thankyou for checking in on me, I will write more when I can, it seems like everything I do takes much more effort than it used to, this to I hope will pass. Thanks again, Chrissy1029
I am so sorry.  The pain is very hard to take.  Please know that you are not alone.  I am sure that your baby is at peace now and know that he went knowing how much you love him.  I still cry for my Tiffy who was put down on Dec. 15.  But the tears do subside and the pain does become less.  Soon it will be replaced with happy memories.  God Bless you at this difficult time.
Oh Chrissy, I am so sorry for you and your husband.   I know what the pain is and it does lighten.  It has been almost two months since she left us, but I still cry for her.  The days are getting better and I am laughing some now, but  that special place in my heart for Sandy Grace is still so raw.  When I get down and start to cry for her, I make myself get busy.  We have to do this to keep going, and that is how time heals our pain.  One day at a time.  Everything you do at this moment will take more time because your heart is not in it.  Right now it is with Thor, but that is O.K.  Soon, you will find that things are easier and somehow, you start getting better.

I know in my heart there is a place in heaven for our babies, and I think they run and play with each other.  That is a good thought, as in heaven there is no suffering.  I will be thinking about you and what you are going through.  Stay on this site as we care so much and do understand your pain.  Aggieone
I'm so sorry.  :-(  I know from bitter experience how traumatic it is to be present when our dogs move on, but it's worth every sob and every tear.  There is no way I could just drop my kids off to be euthanized.  No, I have to see them through the end no matter how hard it is on me.  It's going to be rough for a while.  You'll see Thor in his usual places and then realize he isn't there.  It's surprising how long those darts get slung at your heart, but time really does cure that.  You did right by Thor, and that's the most important thing.  It helps to do whatever you can to remember him before he got sick - like prominently place a photo from his younger days that you can glance at when you need a reminder.  Like everyone else here, I firmly believe we'll see our furbabies again in Heaven.  :-)
My baby girl Jetta was diagnosed with kidney failure 3 weeks ago.  For 5 days she was on IV flushing; she kept pulling out her IV.  It was recommended we transfer her to AVS [specialized medicine facility in Maitland, FL] with 24/7 care.  She was there for 5 more days.  They sent her home.  They are speculating that she may have lepto... one of her titers was borderline high [my reg vet says it's from the vaccine she had in Sept.] We have 3 other babies and no one else has it.  They want her to take antibiotics but, they make her sick because she doesn't eat enough.  I honestly do not believe she has lepto [very rare].  We spoke with her internist and she said to take her off the antibiotics for a few days until we see her tomorrow [Fri.].    
Jetta has lost so much weight.  Some days are good - she'll bark, eat something out of the 10,000 things I try to fix for her.  Today, we lie in bed together; no interest in eating so far this morning.
I'm fortunate to be able to devote 24/7 to her [my husband wants it that way].  We have 3 other dogs and my children are grown and on their own.
These are my anxiety issues:
1.  I can't eat [she can't - I feel guilty] and live for my next xanax.  I've lost nearly 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks.
2.  I know in my heart she will not recover from this - my husband is in denial.  He thinks it's like a virus she'll recover from.  He believes she beat this....  He's made an appt with a holistic vet - earliest date to get in is a week from Tues.
3.  Everyday I wake up sick to my stomach wondering how many things I need to cook during the course of the day to get her to eat a morsal.  I get so anxious and nausiated.
4.  Everyday is agonzing to see her like this.  To live by a clock of giving her another pill and sub'q fluids.
5.  I never leave her side.  How do others who have regular jobs do this?
6.  I have guilty feelings over I want it all to stop; the daily pain, agony, crying, wailing, the why...  but, the only way out is to put her to sleep.
I can't and won't until she cannot function...
How do I get through this?  Everyday every minute is depressing.  If I knew that what I was doing was going to get her better; I would feel different.  All I know is that I'm waiting for the inevitible and it's unbearable day in and day out.  
Help me.... this is torture.... how do I get through each day?
Sandy,

I'm going to start a new thread with your screen name on it so you'll get more responses.  This particular thread is so long that I don't want your questions to be missed.  I'll write my response on the new thread.
as you may have seen i typed in feb about my dog saying id probably have to get him put down the next day and that he was shaking, unfortunately he died that day, the vet said he would have been suffering a seizure, it was so horrible. He was shaking uncontrolablly, i was home alone and did not know what to do, my mum was at work and i didn't want to upset her, i put him on his favourite place on the sofa, and kissed him, within minutes he was shaking and shaking like crazy i was crying like mad and hugging him, i could tell he was gasping for air and couldn't get any but theres nothing to be done i just had to helplessly watch my baby die, i felt sick and just wanted him to be out of pain, he slowly stopped shaking and he was then gone, i couldn't stop crying i felt so guilty and helpless but i was so glad he was out his misery, i just looked at him with his eyes open, his tounge had turned white, i was in so much shock and it just felt unreal. I cryed and cryed for hours on end hoping id wake up and it would all be a dream. My mum then came home and i couldn't even speak to my mum i was trying to hold my cry in when she came in the kitchen with charlie in the lounge (my dog) and she asked me what was wrong and i just burst into tears and she knew.. we walked into the lounge together, closed charlies eyes and kissed him goodbye before the animal shelter collected him. It was the most horrible thing ive ever been through, charlie my dog meant so much to me, when we first got him as a puppy he was like a brother to me as we grew up but i then saw him as a son to me, he meant the absolute world to me and i just wish he could have been cured. But he was 12 and a half which meant he lived a long life, me and my mum gave him all the love we could. I know people will be coming on here for information or their dogs have passed away and im really sorry if my story has upset anyone but i felt better posting it. Dogs with kidney failure cannot be cured, but it may not be too bad at the start and as excessive as my dogs. All i can say is give your dog as much love as you can and i know putting it down is painful as they are part of your family, but its not fair letting them go on in pain, unable to eat, and moping about. My mum was considering burrying him int he garden but he was more of a cat he just loved being inside and he wouldn't have wanted that, i have his ashes in a special wooden box from the animal shelter, and hes in my room where he belong and he'll always be in my heart. Sorry to anyone going through this now but once again its for the best.
Bless your heart.  I am so sorry that you had to experience such a sad and traumatic ending to Charlie's life.  Kidney failure is a horrible, slow, long, drawn-out process that it makes it next to impossible to determine when it's right to let our loved one go.  There really isn't a right or wrong decision in that case.  I'm glad you were able to write about your experience and hope you're beginning to feel some kind of peace.  You and your mum obviously loved Charlie a great deal, and ultimately, that is the most important thing.  He had far more time being healthy, happy and loved than he did being sick.  That's what you need to always remember.  :-)
yes i did love him to bits :( and yes im glad hes out of his misery now and i hope he had a good life :) thanks for your lovely comment.
I have been trying to save my Peanut (he is a six year old chihuahua) for over 3 months now. He had a MAJOR turn around and I thought we beat it. The vet gave him a 50/50 shot with sub-q fluids and the phos binding meds with Epikatin to rebuild his epo. He started out at 5.8 ponds he now wieghs 4.6 pounds. We had him up to 4.11 before he started the next spiral down hill. His breath had gone from smelling like 5 day old urine to food breath. I thought we had kicked it he was going to be in the great 50%  I never let on meds, surynge feeding or the sub-q fluids. I have done this every day for 3 months.He now has the BAD breath back and sores on his mouth again. I do NOT want to give up but.. he does not even give the kisses he used to and has no intrest in playing with his mini tennis ball IT IS KILLING ME!!!
I am so sorry your going though this. I had to let one of my dogs go a little over a year ago now, but it was very hard to do. I am not going to tell you to put your dog to sleep, you will know that for yourself when it is right for you and him. It will not be easy and I am not going to tell you anything more on that. I do want you to know that you have been the best friend for your dog and there is nothing natural about having to be the one to make the choice to say good bye.  I can however tell you it is not the end. You gave your best friend the best life anyone could give him and you will be able to give another one the love and care as well...I did. I figured that my dog would want me to love another as much as I loved him, and I will tell you everyone in my family knew how much it was tearing me up to let him go. My dog was in pain, I had no choice but it sure did hurt me.

One thing I want to suggest to you is ask the vet (when you do make this choice) if they use the two shot method. This is what I regreat the most, I wanted my dog to go to sleep before he was sent to heaven. The vet used the one shot method and it was s shock and my dog looked at me like " what did you just do"...that hurt me the most and still does.

I am sorry if I sound like I am suggesting you say good bye to your pet, I guess it just seems like the right think for me to say to you...and I am very sorry for your pain, I am actully crying because I really understand...as most on here will who have had to make the choice.   ((hugs))
Thank you so much for your wonderful response. My vet does the two injection method and I plan to have his mate go with him when I do have this done. She is 13 and has cancer and CHF. They are the two in my picture :-) I love them both so very much. I can not let her suffer without her friend.
I think he is starting to have pain now. He is having a hard time walking, will not go up or down the stairs and when he does walk he has a hunched back. Today will be the last day I give him fluids and meds. I want my husband to be there with me when this is done. I can not face this alone. I am having them creamated together and put in the same urn so they forever keep each company in spirit.
I want him to sleep on my chest with her by our side one last night. It is going to be so hard not having them with me. He always sleeps on my chest and she puts her head on the pillow and sleeps right next to me every night. This will be one of the hardest things I have ever done.
They both are so wonderful. My heart is going to ache for a very long time.
Peanut and Cocoa will be in heaven tomorrow. They both fought the greatest fight of their life. Her with cancer and CHF and Peanut with renal failure. Cocoa had 13 years and Peanut a very short 6 years but they have filled my life with so MUCH HAPPINESS and LOVE. I will never ever forget the good morning kisses and the GREAT restfull nights of Peanut on my chest and Cocoa lying with her head on my pillow under the covers facing me every night. They have seen me through some many ups and downs in my life. I WILL TRUELY MISS MY BABIES FOREVER!!!!!!!!
Hello-Perhaps this article I wrote will help you. Feel free to call me directly if you'd like to discuss this further.

Pet Kidney Function: Dogs and Cats

The kidneys serve many vital pet functions.  They filter and remove toxic wastes from the body via the urine, regulate Calcium and Vitamin D levels, maintain fluid levels, and secrete the hormone responsible for red blood cell production.  

Anything that interferes with the kidneys’ ability to function properly can cause kidney disease, which is the second only to cancer as a leading cause of death in pets.  In most cases, progressive age-related deterioration is responsible, with no apparent cause.  

Other causes of kidney disease include bacterial and viral infections, nutritional factors, immune system defects, toxins, and inherited breed disorders.

“Acute” kidney disease occurs suddenly, is much less common than chronic kidney disease in pets, and with prompt treatment is generally reversible.  Long-term “chronic” kidney disease referred to as chronic renal disease is the most common form in dogs and cats.  It is usually the result of slow age-related deterioration of the kidneys.  

Signs of Pet Kidney Disease

Initially dogs and cats drink and urinate excessively.  The urine produced is dilute so dogs become dehydrated and drink a lot to try to replace the lost fluids.  No matter how much they drink; they are unable to maintain normal hydration.  

Advanced signs of Kidney Disease include weight loss, vomiting, depression and loss of appetite.  Signs are not apparent until 80 percent of kidney function is already lost.  

Routine diagnostics include blood and urine tests as well as abdominal x-rays.  A kidney biopsy is generally necessary to confirm the exact cause.  In most cases, a biopsy is not obtained and treatment is symptomatic.

What Pet Owners and Vets Can do for Kidney Disease

Fluid therapy is the single most important factor in the treatment of kidney disease.  The kidneys normally function to maintain fluid levels by concentrating the urine.  With kidney disease, excess fluids are lost into the urine so dehydration is a major problem.  

Good nutrition is also critical.  The goal is to decrease the workload on the kidneys by decreasing the amount of waste the kidneys must eliminate.  Excess dietary protein, phosphorus, calcium and salt create a lot of waste. Pet diets should therefore contain small amounts of high-quality proteins, low salt (use salt substitute), and minimal phosphorus. Home made diets are ideal and can be tailored specifically for each pet.

The most important parameter with respect to dietary protein is quality rather than an absolute amount. For example human dialysis patients eat eggs. Why? … Each egg contains 7 grams of pure protein on which the kidneys do not work at all to utilize.  

Trying to determine protein levels, by reading pet labels can be quite misleading. For example, a chemical called Cyanuric Acid, used as a pool cleaner is approved as a pet food additive to artificially elevate protein levels.

In fact, the reason thousands of pets died during the 2004 and 2007 MENU pet food recall was not just because of the Melamine. The Melamine was present in the contaminated Chinese Gluten. The problem occurred when it combined with the Cyanuric acid which was also present in the pet food.

The Melamine and Cyanuric acid formed an insoluble precipitate in the kidney tubules of the dogs and cats that ate the pet food and this is what led to acute kidney failure and death for thousands of pets. The latest pet food reports available indicate that the melamine is no longer an issue but the cyanuric acid is still allowable and present in pet food.

Anemia or a low number of red blood cells is usually present in pets with Kidney Disease.  Supplementing your dog or cats diet with B-vitamins and iron stimulates red blood cell production, which helps to counteract anemia.

Today kidney therapy may include Calcitriol, which is a natural form of vitamin D and is compounded specifically for each pet.  Capsules are given by mouth once daily.  Calcitriol helps prevent further kidney deterioration, regenerates the kidneys and helps restore normal function. It was given routinely to human dialysis patients.

In pets, Calcitriol is only effective when the value of the blood calcium multiplied by the blood phosphorus level is less than 40. After over 15 years, of successful international clinical trials, Calcitriol is still considered experimental in pets.  So far the results have been excellent for both dogs and cats.  

Kidney transplants are a treatment option in extreme cases, and are available at a few veterinary facilities in the US. The College of Veterinary Medicine, in Davis, California has a top notch Kidney Transplant and pet dialysis facility.

Long-term management involves monitoring kidney functions with blood and urine tests every three to six months.  At home hydration can be monitored by pinching the skin on the back of the dog’s neck.  Hold it for five seconds, then release.  If it takes over five seconds for the skin to return to normal, your pet is dehydrated and fluids are indicated.  

Pet owners may learn to give daily subcutaneous fluids, which are given under the skin at home.  Sodium Chloride, rather than Lactated Ringers solution is preferred for fluid administration, because the Lactated Ringers solution contains both Phosphorus and Calcium neither of which are beneficial to dogs or cats in kidney failure.  

Most pets enjoy quality life for several years post diagnosis.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best Wishes,

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Just to let you know that I'm thinking about you & yours......This post caught me off-guard and I'm heartbroken for you......My sincere prayers are with you through the night, tomorrow & days after.....God bless you & your little ones........Karla
I know your hurting, just know we are here if you want to talk.  (( many hugs)) btw, I think I told my dog good night for a year after I had to put him down.

Dr. Osbourne, you really are there / here for the pets. That information is very helpful !!

Putting Peanut and Cocoa down was the hardest thing for me to do.
My heart aches everyday but I know he was very tired of fighting and she was getting worse from her cancer.  I think she stuck around longer just for her little buddy :-)
They passed together last week Thursday. They both seemed to know when we went into DR. Sarah's office what was happening because they both just curled up together in thier favorite blanket and relaxed. It almost seemed like they went hmpf it is finally going to be over I am soooo tired.
No puppy will ever be able to rplace them but I am going to look at some rescues to try and fill a part of this gaping hole that is in my heart.
Thank you so much for your post, care and concern for me and my babies. You really helped make this a little easier.
at this moment my best friend bella is at the vet hospital .i took her there 2 days ago because of vomiting i was told she has end stage kidney trouble .i just came back from visiting her .she is getting iv fluids and are trying  a new antibotic .the doctor says her chance for survival is not good i have not stopped crying . i'm going to light a candle and say a prayer . the hole in my heart can't be filled i feel like dying . i need someone to talk to please help me vinny ***@****
Hello to all you lovely people from New Zealand, who love your animals as much I do.We are a rare species..
My darling wee man 'Shatsi' (mini schnauzer) whom I love so much and was born half his size, now nearly 13 years old was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure 7 mths ago.His first symptons were a urine smelly breath and drinking heaps of water..I admitted him to the Specalist hospital for a 2 day drip which brought his cret levels down considerably but with the bad news he had maybe 6 mths to live if that...He was placed on the Royal Canine kidney food which he ate for awhile then refused..I tried every type of his fav foods to tempt him to eat but to no avail..Fortunately, 7 mths later I still have my little boy... I syringe feed him 3 times a day with the KD food soaked in water and IV him daily at home  (120 mils soduim lactate) to keep him hydrated.. which was pretty scary at first, sticking the needle in but I have the hang of it now and he just lays on my lap thru the whole 10 mins procedure..This has kept him alive I believe... His poohs are normal and no vomiting yet..The only thing difference with him that I haven't read about on your forum is, he stretches his neck and frantically claws at his mouth which is very distressing for him and for me.. like he is fitting!..It seems to be phlem coming up into his mouth and he cant get it out..I calm him down petting his head and he snaps out of it and settles down for awhile..But it is continual unless he is sleeping..The vet put him on a neurological medicine that gave him terrible painful diarrhoea so I took him off that, it made if so sleepy and floppy like a rag doll.. I know I have to make a heartbreaking decision soon as this frantic clawing at his mouth can't go on for my little man..He has been such a huge part of my solo life and I know I have to do the right thing one day but, I keep saying to myself "he hasn't given me the OK  to go yet".. he doesn't appear to be in any pain being on pain relief ...Knowing I will be an absolute mess emotionally I accept I will have to bring myself to do what is best for his well being eventually.. I just don't want to be left with the guilt  "did I put him to sleep before he was ready to go?"..I ask him every nite as I lay him on his hot water bottle in my bed to go naturally in his sleep..I have found some peace with myself after reading all your heartbreaking stories knowing you have all had the same emotions ..I don't feel so alone now ...What a wonderful site this is for one to express their feelings..Thankyou so much..Kia Ora from New Zealand...(We are still rocking and rolling from the earth quakes)...All my love and thoughts to all out there who are going thru the same..  Lou
I read this whole thread in pain. Just lost " Itty Bity" Pomeranian mix 17lbs who was 19 yyears old to kidney failure after a 5 week battle.
Here is what i can add, my dog was completely fine. Strangely, after i had given him i think it was Advantix or Advantage for fleas per his body weight from vet......several days later he fell ill.

The battle started there, not blaming the vet at all. But could have this Advantix or i think it was Adantage for fleas initiate this condition?.

Damien : (
My 12 year old bichon as just bin diagnosed with kidney failure we are gutted as he is our baby we got him frm pup he as bin a poorly boy from pup but 12 years on an we no it's old age, he is still avin a gud life but I am petrified in losing him any suggestions in coping with this thanks ANIA AN CAROL JAY
Our Sydney has renal failure he's not yet at the uthanize stage but since refusing k/d and the other renal foods he's going down hill every day. I know were going to be in exactly the same situation your in now. Interesting that you feed her ice. Our dog has been eating snow. Do you know why they want ice?
In any case it gut wrenching but we have to it at the right time.
I am so sorry to hear all of your stories and the pain that you all have gone through, I could not imagine my little girl going through that and I couldn't begin to imagine going through what you all have gone through.  My Tinka was diagnosed with bad kidneys, she is not in renal failure but she urinates a lot and drinks a lot.  Her breath is unbearable. She is still eating normal and she is not throwing up.  I was thinking about bypassing the Vet completely and trying some herbal treatments and feeding her organic meats, beans, greens and seeds.  Does anyone have any input?  In my heart I think that my Tinka will get past this...and be normal again.  I don't want to ask you all if I am wrong but at the same time I want to know what I can expect.or what I may be in for.  Her BUN level is 77 and the other is 2.3 (I can't remember the name). I  Need to know!!!!!!!!
I'm so sorry!
Hello Tinka...We have a thread about kidney disease within this forum...It's lengthy & sad, but it may give you some ideas pertaining to your questions.....Here is the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dogs/4th-stage-renal-failure-in-my-dog/show/425814?page=1

I'm sorry you have found us under these circumstances.....My thoughts are with you as you & your Tinka begin this journey.......Karla
Don't know if Tinka is still alive - but the symptoms are for Acute renal failure - her BUN number and other number is not so bad as mine which is more than x times hers before she died.  Check if she has chronic renal failure or acute renal failure.  The first one, the dog can survive with the correct food and kidney meds.  For the 2nd one, its a fast degenerating disease but can extend her life for supportive theraphy if not make her life a little comfortable, yet it is inevitable someday.   For herbal or homeophatic care, try this web site - Five Leaf Pet Pharmacy - google it.  It may work - with proper food suggested by website, they have a procedure.  and you can ask questions.
Hi My 7 year old grace just started showing sign of this. They did blood work after she got very sick with a very bad sore throw. The first blood test 4 weeks ago showed the bun at 45. This week they took it and it showed 46. she is have iv under the skin 3 times a week. She is starting to eat very good. She like the home cook meals. She is drink a lot of water. She has not throwing in in a week. She has been keeping the food down OK. She loves her morning walks. I try to walk her 3 times a day. She tells me when she is set to go home. She will just head for the truck. We when to the vet to day to get her IV. she was 14.5 lbs last week she is up to 15.1 lbs. The Vet had me help with the Iv so I can do the at home if we need it. She did not mine it at all. She just set there and let me do it. I hope they is light a head for me and grace. Hope this helps with your pain and I think the blood test showed it in time. Now if we can get the bun down and keep her going. jr.      
Please consider joining the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group, as there are people there that can certainly help with support, advice and information. All the members are owners, just like you, that either have a dog with CKF or have had a dog with CKF. They are a rich source of experience and knowledge.

User Groups can be found under the Forums button above. Once in User Groups, type or paste CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS into the search bar, which will take you to the Group.

Tony
Thank you for your very informative post my standard poodle has just been diagnosed with stage 3 CKD shows no symptoms. Her blood results are urea 18.4,creatin 258, amyl 2201, lipa 4076 upc 4.47 and has high blood pressure 190/200 she has been put on batril incase she has a infection and blood pressure and kidney pills plus royal canin renal which she hates and refuses to eat. her weight is good no vomitting no heavy drinking no bad breath no ulcers great coat she has been scanned which showed damaged kidneys . I would rather put her on half hills and half meat is this okay she is 7 years old. Any advice would be a great help thank you

Tony
You were only 1 day old when your mama got sick & we had to put her to sleep so I became your mom, you had a brother & we took care of you both bottle fed you every 2 hours, burped you made you pee & poop that was new to us but we did it cause we loved you both. When you were 8 weeks old Gotti went to my niece & you stayed with me. You had an older brother & sister from your mom's first litter they were rough but you all got along good, had your moments. Then I got a call Gotti was sick very sick he had Kidney Failure, he lasted a week my niece loved him so, he was only 15 months old very young to get this horrible disease, the doctor could not believe it, he feels because he was so young it must have been within the genes from your parents. My niece and us were totally devastated.

Now you are 2 years & 4 months & have the same thing, We all love you very much, you are my baby girl not sure how I'm gonna sleep at night you have slept with me since you were 8 weeks old. I will do all I can for you but I will not let you suffer, when the time comes I will be there holding you with all my love as you take your last breath but I know you will not be suffering any more, it hurts to see you getting sicker everyday with the systems of this disease.  You will be missed my precious pit bull BellaRosa.  

Hi. Take a look at the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group. Please become a member and read some of the posts there ... you can also add your post about your best friend. YES, there are things that can be done about kidney disease. It cannot be cured - but progression of the disease can be slowed down and in some cases halted for months and even years.

In a dog so young, I would question whether it is genetic too - but there are other possibilities, including diet, access to toxic substances, and other potential causes. I will expand more when you join the User Group - and ask you some pertinent questions. I administrate this group, but there are many other owners that are members of it just like you with dogs that have been diagnosed with kidney failure.

Tony
I have a  12 year old Yorkie and she has Chronic  Renal Failure . I give her LR'S and Azodyle ...DHe is losing weight and her ears are dry.. She has an appetite... HELP? suggestions ?
"
Please see Tony's post above yours
I have a precious Pomeranian . I have to take her today & put her to sleep. What I don't understand is I have read some of these comments that have been posted, & all of their pets blood creatine level were very low numbers. My Lola 's number is 123. Can anyone tell me why ?
Hello Sheila. First, I want to say I am so very sorry to read about your best friend. I assume the dreaded deed has now been undertaken, and you must be devastated. The loss of a dog is traumatising, deeply emotional and extremely upsetting. My condolences to you and your family.

Chronic kidney failure is diagnosed through a combination of recent and current symptom history, blood and urinalysis test results and any underlying cause hat may have contributed to the kidneys failing. Vets also commonly perform blood pressure testing and a scan and/or xray of the kidneys.

With regard to blood creatinine ... it is not just the creatinine level that defines kidney failure, but also BUN (blood urea nitrogen levels) and several others. So while creatinine is a crucial factor, it is not the only one. The values are sometimes expressed by different laboratories (undertaking the test) in different ways and this can be confusing. For example, normal creatinine levels are expressed as:

0.5 to 1.6 mg/dL in a blood result OR
44 to 138 mmol/L in a blood result OR
100 to 500 mg/dL in a urinalysis result

I am assuming that your reference of 123 refers to mmol/L, but it may be worth asking your vet for clarification.

Hope that helps.

Tony
Thank you Jen for your advice. My dog has just been diagnosed with CRF and the vet has basically sent her home with antacids (not calcium-based ones though) and instructions to try k/d but basically get any food down her that she will eat. Your article is sensible and reassuring, and makes me feel better.

Charlotte.
Hi. Sorry about the diagnosis of CRF. Can I ask you to join ourgroup ... the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group here on MedHelp. We are a large group of like-minded dog owners, some with dogs that have or have had CRF (we call it CKF for chronic kidney failure), others just keen to help, inform and support. There's a wealth of info on the group's forum pages - as well as a few articles I have provided. One that may help you right now can be found here (direct link):

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_Diet_Affects_Dogs_with_Chronic_Kidney_Disease

If you do join our User Group, please start a thread with the name of your dog and post a brief history and any questions you may have.

Best wishes

Tony
Hi tonyb268,

I want to be a part of this group and am not sure if I have accomplished joining by filling out the medhelp form.  How can I tell if I am a part of the CKD in dogs group?  (My beloved dog Benji has CKD and I am doing a lot to deal with it, and I have questions I would like to ask you and the group.  Thanks. Carol
I administrate the Group and have just checked the membership ... but can't find you there. I'm not sure this link will work, but try it:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chronic-Kidney-Failure-in-Dogs/show/1809

If it doesn't, just use the MedHelp Search bar at the top of the page, and put CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS ... into it, it should then take you straight to the User Group.

Cheers

Tony
Hello, I don't know if you will ever see this because of the years past, however, I just read your story and the story about Jamie.  I'm in tears through all of it (I am presently going through the same thing with my little best friend, Chloe, too).  My heart broke for both of you.  I just wanted to say to you, Jaybay, that you had the kindest, most comforting words for anyone going through this.  You are a very wise person and so very compassionate.  You said all the right things.  Several years ago, I had to put another dog down at the age of 14 due to cancer.  Thought I would never get another.  The receptionist at the vet told me that my dog, Rocky, would want me to get another.  She said to think of it as saving another dog and giving it a loving home.  You certainly 'hit the nail on the head'.  God bless you.    
I really need help,my dog was killed by vets in the country I live in,he was such a beautiful soul who loved unconditionally and was a fighter but each and every vet in this country just made Money off him by wrongly diagnosing him, wrongly treating him and overmdicating and injecting him.to them he was just a 13 and a half year old dog to me he was my soul, my life,my everything.i have all his reports, treatments and videos. He was lifer to die on an unadminstered drip for 12 over  painful hours. Please if someone can help me, I want justice for my boy and to put these malpracticing vets away from hurting and killing anymore dogs
Hi. Of course, 13 and a half is actually old for most dogs, so it is hard to say whether something was done wrong or not. Vets are not the same in all countries and there are some very good ones and some not so good ones. My guess is most do all they can do, but they are also only human and have their failings. I hope you can come to terms with your loss in time. It's always hard to lose a special friend, and more so perhaps at this time of the year.

My very best wishes to you

Tony