can anything be done for kidney failure in dogs?
i wrote on here while ago that my dog Jamie was sick ( not eating properly, throwing up, not acting herself etc. ) from tests today i found out that she has severe kidney failure im so upset i dont know what im going to without her shes my best friend the best dog anyone could have. at the vet today she has 2 blood tests and other stuff didnt growlor yelp once she is so good. just a couple of days ago she caught a red belly black snake where my baby sister usually plays. im crying atm im trying not 2 let it show just yet i dont want her 2 b sad because i am in her last days. we have to put her 2 sleep soon maybe wednesday before she goes through any more pain. she has lost 2 kg in a week and a bit and alot of weight before than. the vet said there is nothing we can do for this. i wanted to check to see if anyone knew on here if there was anything at all that we could do to help her? please help me.
I know that Jaybay has given chica meds and special diet and iv for fluids for kidney failure...however, if it is severe, I am not sure if anything can be done.  My dog had kidney failure and heart condition so it was a double edge sword.  She totally stopped eating.  All this came about after a dog attack...her wounds were healing but the stress of the attack made a toll on her little body...She also lost 2 pounds in one week.  I put her to sleep because I had to measure her quality of life....She gave a long battle with her heart disease (over 5 years) and I think she was tired and ready to go.  I miss her terribley and wonder constantly if I did the right thing...although in my heart I know I did....best to you and Jamie.
Hi there hun.  I know from recent bitter experience how awful it is to keep a dog with kidney failure comfortable until the end.  Thankfully, it isn't a painful condition - just flat out miserable with the constant nausea and vomiting.

My dog, Chica, was diagnosed almost 3 months ago and was already in severe failure.  We finally had to help her in the end last Friday.  It was a blessing that her misery was finally over.

Now, as to what you can do to keep your dog comfy for as long as possible, I want you to print out the following link and really read through the 40 pages.  

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

Your dog will need to be on low phosphorus foods, if she'll eat them.  That means you will probably be doing the cooking for her.  Dark meat poultry, fatty hamburger, ground lamb, and canadian bacon are good choices.  Of course, dogs in renal failure are so nauseated, it's hard to get them to eat anything, so if she won't eat the low-phosphorus foods, just get something in her.

To counteract phosphorus, give her one or two Tums antacid tablets a day - or any indigestion tablet that is primarily calcium.  The calcium binds with phosphorus and carries out of the body so it can't do further harm to the kidneys.

Add a good multi vitamin as low in phosphorus as you can find.  Malnutrition is another battle you'll have to fight because the dog can't eat enough of the proper foods.  Starvation is a terrible thing to have to see happen in front of your eyes, and that's what's going to happen.

I had really noticeable results with Cran Assure (concentrated cranberry juice in a gel-cap form) in calming down Chica's entire urinary discomfort.  It also adds some needed vitamin C.

You'll need to add something from the vet to help with the ever-present nausea.  We had to use home injections about the last 3 weeks with Chica, until even that didn't help any longer.

If you aren't able to try to keep up with this kind of heavy-duty nursing, please don't feel badly about it.  All of these things may buy you a few more weeks with your pup - or maybe not.  It is hugely stressful to keep up with the constantly worsening symptoms, and you will only be putting off the inevitable.  You know your dog.  Think about 3 of her favorite things in life that define her life.  As those things go away, then you'll know it's time.

In the end, it will make things easier on you and your dog if you ask your vet for sedatives to give your dog before you make that last trip to his office.  We had to do that with Chica last Friday because she was still completely lucid in spite of her body being more than ready to go.  The last thing she knew was me and my husband hugging her on the couch, and the end was as peaceful as I could hope for anyone - human or animal.

Your dog isn't going to die today, or even tomorrow, and maybe not for several weeks yet.  Take the time to make some really good memories with her.  If it's her time sooner than you would like, try to remember that putting her out of her misery is a blessing and you are doing her a real favor.  It's not easy being a true friend to a pet, is it?

Jen
I am so sorry that you are going through this!
Thankyou everyone for writing back to my post but on the 11th we had to put her to sleep i didnt want it to happen but i didnt want her to go through pain either. she usually doesnt mind going to the vet but that day she wanted to go straight back out and wouldnt go into the vets room. i feel so awful cause she came to me before the vet had to put her to sleep as if to protect her but i didnt..she cuddled into my arm hiding and cuddling me.. she went to sleep so quickly and i saw the colour go from her eyes i just kept telling her i love her and i was sorry. she was such a beautiful dog the best dog and best friend ive ever had. its so strange without her here i usually say goodnight and i love her every night and tuck her in and i keep thinking i see her outside but i know shes not. no dog can ever replace her i feel like im missing a huge part of me. i love her so much rest in peace jamie jame.
Oh honey, you're about to make me cry.  :-(  I went through the exact same thing for the exact same reason just before you did.  Try not to blame yourself.  You really DID protect your friend at the end.  You blessed her by doing her the favor of providing a much easier and peaceful end.  It was her Time, and hard as it is to understand in your heart, sometimes death really is the right thing at the right time.

Of course no other dog can replace Jamie!  When you're past your grieving process, you'll be able to love some other very lucky pup who will surely add more wonderful times and memories to your life.  The human heart is not limited in its capacity to love, which is a wonderful thing.  Wouldn't be awful if we could only love one person or one dog in our lifetimes? Think of moving on eventually with another dog as honoring Jamie's memory rather than destroying it.  Jamie taught you more about life and love in her years with you than you would ever have discovered without her.  

This too shall pass, and good memories will come to overtake the bad memories of the last weeks.  :-)
Hello, we just went to the vet on Sat. because Dolly our great pyr / golden mix was very sick, she couldn't sit or lay down she just wanted to stand up, she was vomiting a little. The vet gave us Rimadyl and an anti-nausea med and we took her home thinking maybe she hurt her back - she is 17 MONTHS old.  She didn't get any better so we brought her back on Monday then the vet finally took blood and x-rays, well once they gave her the sedatives for the x-rays she was never the same.  Her Blood results showed a creatine level of 7.7 which is very high. So they started giving her IV fluids, on Tuesday we brought her to a facility that could do ultra sound and it showed one kidney was 3/4 of the way gone and the other was over 1/2 her tongue started to turn black from the lack of oxygen, but she could still stand up and lay down she was wobbely but she seemed semi-coherent.  The vet recommened putting her to sleep after we discussed dialysis and/or transplant.  We did put her to sleep there where she lay her head on my lap.
My question is could someone tell me if we could have brought her home for a while and kept her comfortable, she has a litter mate and another older dog that live with us, altho we brought them all with us to the vets office I regret not letting her die at home with us and on her couch, I can't shake this feeling that there was something we should have been able to do.  Did the sedatives from the x-rays send her somewhere that she couldn't come back from?  She was extremely shy and had never been alone until that night at the local vets office was all this to much stress for her.  could someone pleas help.
Thank you!
Chrissy
Oh I'm so very sorry.  :-(  No, I don't think it was any of the treatment that made her suddenly worse.  It sounds like it was just her time to go.  Let me tell you, watching a dog slowly die of kidney disease is a truly terrible thing.  You may have only been able to get one or two more days for your dog at home, but those days would have been awful for her - and you.  While kidney failure isn't really a painful condition, it is extremely miserable due to the constant nausea and toxins building up.  Also, once the toxins unabled to be filtered by the kidnes cross the blood-brain barrier, you'll see exactly what you did with your dog: semi-coherent thinking, and uncoordinated movements.  I really doubt she had much of an idea of what was going on there at the end other than having her head in your lap.  That's a good thing.

There is nothing you could have done to treat the problem.  Kidneys just don't heal once they've been damaged.  I know dialysis is possible for dogs, but it's such a hardship on them.  Same with transplants.  I doubt it helps, but I absolutely agree with your decision to do your dog the great favor of easing her out of her misery.  Since she was so young, I wonder if there was an underlying genetic issue that resulted in bad kidneys.  Did your vet have any guess as to why they failed in so young a dog?  

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss, and you did right by your dog.  :-(
Thank you for your kind words it helps put my mind at ease, altho you just always want just a little more time with your best friend.
The vet actually sent the kidneys to a lab to find out everything they could and if it is genetic I need to call the rescue where we got them.  I did have my other pyr/golden tested while we were there and she came back ok.
Thank you again for reassuring me that we did the right thing.
About a week ago i found out my dog had kidney failure, hes been back for blood tests and its now advanced kidney failure, its just came so quickly i feel sick, hes my baby and i dont want him to go, he had just been moping around for days so we took him to the vet the other day, and he said we have 2 decisions, we either put him on a drip for 32 hours and flush out all that bad toxins inside him, because hes not eating because he feels so sick hes not drinking either, mine also lost 2 kg in a week its awful, or we could put him to sleep, i just wanted one last chance to give it a go if it didnt work then we would put him to sleep so we went with the drip. So he came back front he vet yesterday all bright and happy the vet said he had ate and the because he was so dehydrated all the water he had from the drip has made him put on a kg, when we went to collect him i was so happy and we were told he might only have days but i was just happy to see him again, now today hes woke up, breathing really loudly, panting out of breathe, he wont eat or drink, hes just moping about and he keeps shaking like hes having a fit. I just wish they could cure it but they can't and hes probably going to have to be put to sleep tomorrow, i dont know how i'll cope i dont wana leave him but its not fair on him just being depressed so i'll do whats best for him as much as it hurts me. I really want to be there for his final moments but i honestly cant bare it when i know hes gone i dont know what to do.
Yes, I think it's time to let your friend go.  I really do understand your dilemma over whether or not to stay through the end.  If you can possibly force yourself to be there, try to do it.  I've talked to too many people who ended up with a great deal of regret because they didn't stay with their pet.

Euthanasia is a 2-part proposition.  The vet will first give an injection of heavy sedation, and the animal is literally asleep.  Still breathing, but asleep.  When you're ready, the second shot is given that stops the heart.  Yes, it's difficult, but when you see how truly peaceful it is in the end, well - it helped me.  

Since this whole thing has you so rattled (very understandably) how about seeing your own doctor for some tranquilizers?  My family doc was incredibly understanding when I went to him a crying shaking mess, and he got me going on badly-needed antidepressants along with a few mild tranquilizers.  You might ask your vet if he'll make a house call for this one last visit.  If not, ask him if you can give oral sedation before you bring your dog in.  That helps a great deal too in making the day less traumatic.

One last thing you'll need to think on is burial.  Many people bring their dogs home to a favorite place in their back yard.  That's what I wanted to do, but my husband is horrified at that prospect.  The two dogs we've had to put to sleep were cremated and returned to us, bringing another dilemma.  What to do with the ashes?  Where to spread them, or not?  I finally decided that when it's my turn, they'll all just go in the box with me.  Who says I can't take them with me?  :-)

You are doing your dog a huge favor.  Never forget that.  Having the ability to choose is a double-edged sword.  We're grateful to ease our pets out of misery and suffering, but then we have the whole guilt trip of actually making that decision.  Know that everyone here understands exactly what you're facing, and we also know you're doing right.

I have read and reread all of these sad, sad stories.  My heart is breaking for all of you.  We just lost our beautiful yellow lab "Sandy Grace" to kidney failure.  I know many of you have read my plea for help when Sandy was so sick.  Her creatine was 13.  Our vet was amazed at her will to live.  We took her to the vet thinking she had a gastritis virus.  Like all of you, we did everything we could for her.   We admitted her for 40 hours of IV fluids.  Her creatine went down to a 10.3-  We took her to a specialist hoping for a miracle.  The specialist wanted to put her down that day as ultrasound showed she had one kidney, the other resembeled a raisin.  We told the specialist, she was still eating, drinking plenty of fluids, was still sassy when she wanted to be, still walked to the lake, SHE IS NOT READY TO GO!!!!!    I think the specialist thought we were cruel, but we knew in our hearts our Sandy  wanted a little more time with us, and we wanted a lifetime with her.

Our vet sent bags of fluids home with us.  We gave her fluids, nausea meds, vitamins, everything money could buy to make her more comfortable.  I researched every piece of  information I could find trying to help her.  I read many articles about hollistic and homeopathic treatment.  My vet referred us to a vet who practiced orthodox, hollistic and homeopathic medicine.  We rushed her to him, he prescribed  seven medications for her.  They helped a short time.  The fluids helped for a while, but then nothing seemed to help her vomiting.  This is when I came to this wonderful site for help and support.  I tried the Tums like Jaybay suggested, they gave her some relief for several hours but nothing was longlasting.  She stopped eating (KD dogfood, hamburger, dark meat chicken, bacon, some steak, chicken broth with shreds of chicken,  a special mixture of raw eggs, honey, whole yogurt, babyfood, etc.)    We were constantly giving her ice water chips and pedialyte ice chips,  We realized if she lapped, she threw up everytime-if we gave her ice chips, she seemed to hold it down most of the time.  DESPERATE!!!!  I slept in the den with her, her favorite place was our loveseat.  If she got on the floor, I got on the floor to lay with her.  What else can we do, somebody please help!!!  We can't lose our Sandy Grace, she is so special!!!!  She loves us so much, she wants to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Your thoughts are constantly with your baby, WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HER, THERE HAS TO BE A WAY.  Then, you realize you have to let her go, how can you euthanize your baby who has been your best friend and lived her life for you.   NO, I can't do this.  I PROMISED HER I WOULD NOT MAKE HER GET BACK IN THE CAR UNLESS IT WAS FOR FUN!!!!!!!!!   NO, NO, NO.   Then you know, you have to do this for your baby.  She is not eating, she is drinking very little.  She is so weak, when she throws up, I am holding her so she will not fall.  YOU HAVE TO DO THIS.  NO, I CAN'T.   YES, YOU CAN.  You are being selfish, yes I am, I want to hold her, feel her breath, rub her tummy.  You have to let her go.  We finally made the decision to call our vet, we wanted her on her loveseat  with her bankie, I wanted to hold her as she was sedated, I wanted her to remember,  to experience our love one more time before she closed her eyes in sleep.  She would not know about the second shot that would stop her heart.  She would not suffer from the vomiting and weakness anymore.  She would be at peace and healthy forever in heaven.  Our vet was coming at 11:00 a.m. on Februay 6 to help  end her suffering.  That did not happen.  Sandy was much worse, the evening of February 5, she was constantly throwing up, so weak . . WHY DID YOU NOT CALL YOUR VET SOONER!!!!!!!  I finally got her settled around 11:00 p.m that evening or I thought I did.  She was able to rest for a few hours.  She wanted in the floor, O.K., we can do this together girl.  I helped her in the floor and I laid down beside her and put my arm around her, rubbed her tummey, pulled her ears (she loved that) and told her it was O.K. to go.   I told her how much we loved her and what a great friend she had been.  I reminded her of her funny times and told her we would hold those precious moments in our hearts forever.  She was relaxed for a while.  (You see, many dogs lose their personalities during their last days of kidney failure, but Sandy Grace never did.  She knew who we were and was still wagging her tail at us her last hours.  Even with a creatine level of 13, she was still rolling in the grass, watching the seagulls and geese  I hope she was thinking of her fun times.)  We managed to rest a short while, then she started throwing up horrible yellow and green fluids.  Dry heaves that was nearly killing her.  WHAT CAN I DO FOR HER, IT IS SO LONG UNTIL 11:00 AND HER SUFFERING ENDS.  I am holding her as she is dry heaving, she has a seizure, (first one-lasted only seconds)  Her tongue is turning black.  SO LONG UNTIL 11:00, I KNOW I WILL CALL MY VET TO COME EARLY MORING!!!!  I promised her no more fluids, she would not accept any water or pedialyte now.  2:00 a.m. . .  Sandy, I am just going to hold you, I will not bother you again trying to give you any meds or fluids.  We will just lay here together and I will hold you until I can call the vet to come earlier.

On the evening of February 5, my grandson called to say goodnight-I asked him to pray that Sandy Grace would go on her own, I called my daughter, son, sister, mom and friends to pray that same prayer,

Sandy rested until 4:00 a.m., finally she tried to get up, she wanted to lay on the kitchen floor because it was cooler.  I helped her to the kitchen floor.  She laid there for a while, I could tell she wanted to be alone, so I pulled up a chair, gave her some distance and just watched her.  I laid my head back and snoozed for a few minutes, I heard her trying to get up, I got up and helped her into the den.  Just as we got into the den, she sat just as beautifully as you could imagine, she looked at me with those wonderful eyes for a few seconds, dry heaved, fell forward in a violent lunge.  I tried to catch her, as I caught her and positioned her in my arms, I could see in her eyes that she was leaving us, I cried out loud, Lord have mercy on her, two weak dry heaves, and she was gone.  I must have held her for an hour or so, rubbing her tummey, pulling her ears and feeling the warmth leave her body.  I live these moments in my mind every minute of my day and most of the night.  

Why am I telling you all of this . . in my heart, I know I should have called our vet a few days earlier . . I didn't-she suffered that night-but my prayer was answered, she went on her own.  Which way is easier for all of you who loved or loves your babies as much we did.  I do not know.  I do know that kidney failure is a horrible thing and there is no cure, it only gets worse in time.  I have read and heard about dogs who lived for a year or two with kidney failure.  The sub q's do help bring down the toxins.  THERE IS NO CURE!!  I have been told by three vets that they have not heard of any successful kidney transplants for dogs.  Maybe someday.

I hope if you have a decision to make about your babies, you will make the right one for them and yourselves.  It is such a personal and painful decision to make.  My heart is with all of you if you have gone through this or about to do so.  Stay with this site, as you will get  the best support  from these wonderful friends you have found.  Aggieone
Thank you for letting me share my story .  I haven't been able to talk about her last few hours with any of you until now.  I wrote this hoping to help you as every minute you deal with kidney failure you are going back and forth, should I, what should I do, and just simply wanting to have a little more time with your baby.    I hurt for anyone who has to deal with this.  Aggieone
You thoroughly nailed the worst of dealing with renal failure.  It truly is a day-by-day, and minute-by-minute issue.  I doubt that anyone who has had to live through it doesn't end up second-guessing whatever decision they arrived at.  The vomiting, and then dry heaving is the worst.  It gets so bad it's unimagineable to those who haven't seen it.  Can't say any more.  Hits too close to home, ya know?
My best companion was just recently diagonosed with kidney disease, my vet told me to give him low protien and high fat and carb diet. For the past three weeks I have been having to force feed and water him all day long otherwise he would starve and dehydrate and most likely die. He has lost so much weight so quickly and I am finding it harder to walk him because of the stairs to our apartment. He just seems to mope around and has no energy. He used to talk to me everyday and I havent heard a peep out of him for weeks, also he hasnt played with any toys either, I used to constantly have to pick them up every day just as if I had a small child in my home. I feel so bad for him, I know I am loosing my best friend and I am not sure how to deal with it. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
one miserable mom
Hi Chrissy.  I'm so sorry you and your dog have to go through renal failure.  It's just a miserable way to go.  Honestly, I wouldn't force feed him at this point.  It sounds like he's about to the end, and he'll probably just throw it up anyway.  Also, at this point it doesn't matter what he eats protein-wise.  If he eats anything at all count it a victory.  The more important thing is low-phosphorus foods.  Give him a Tums twice a day to help clear phosphorus from his body.  Talk to your vet about giving him something for the ever-present nausea.  

I just can't write it all down again, but if you look at my early journal entries on my profile, I wrote a great deal about the end of my dog's life and dealing with kidney failure.  Maybe it will give you an idea of what is to come.  :-(
Hi Chrissy, so many of us on this site know exactly what you are going through.  It is one of the most painful things you will go through as you watch your baby slip slowly away from you.  I posted the details of Sandy Grace's  (Cissy was her nickname) last days and hours on this same page on February 22.  Many post from me and others on the original that I sent in titled  My dog is in 4th stage renal failure (the one with 39 replies).  Read Jaybay's journals, and Cissy's story from the beginning to the end.  You will get a lot of insight as to what you will deal with minute to minute.  

I hate that your baby is so sick, just enjoy the time you have  left with him.  Sounds like his personality has changed . .some dogs in renal  failure will lose their personalities and suffer great depression during this horrible illness.  Just hug, love and rub.  It seemed to make Sandy more relaxed and less uncomfortable if I rubbed her tummy for a long time.  I wish I could say something to help you and your baby.  Sandy had a few good days, and I enjoyed them with her.  I hope you and your baby will have some good days too.

KD  dog food is good and they seem to love it as long as they are still trying to eat.  I took Sandy Grace to a vet who practiced hollistic and homeopathic treatment, that helped for a while.  Is your vet giving you bags of fluid to adminster to your baby at home.  The fluids help push the toxins out of their systems, but please know the sub q's only help for a while.   Try small ice chips of water,  and freeze a thin layer of Pedialyte to break up for your baby.  Sandy Grace would accept that when she refused everything else.  The Pedialyte will help keep her hydrated and balance her electrolytes.    Stay on this sight for constant support.  Please keep us posted as we DO care.  God Bless you and your baby as you go through this together.     Aggieone
Correction,   it is titled  4th stage renal failure, page 3 -somehow it is posted twice on that page, but it is the second one you should read-it tells all of Cissy's story.  I hope it helps.  Aggieone
Thankyou for your loving thoughts. They do comfort me as well  as they could. I  just brushed Thor really good, he gets compliments all over this country. My husband and I travel all over the US building Dillards Department Stores, and every where we go people stop us and comment on our baby. With my husband working so much, Thor has become my "greatest companion." I wanted to make sure he feels good about himself because it seems like when someone stops and says "What a BEAUTIFUL Dog" He gets a little hop in his step even to this day. Tomorrow we go to another vet for a second opinion, they called earlier today and wanted to admit him to their hospital immediately, after the first vet faxed them all his medical records. I told them that the only way I would be able to leave him in a hospital would be if they let me bring a cot to sleep on right beside him. He suffers with separation anxiety, I have been with him 24 hours a day for his whole life, we had to find out the hard way, by him chewing himself at the base of his tail so badly that it would be a bleeding mess and a huge bald spot that would eventually get a huge scab on it if I left for any amount of time. This all started about 2 years ago, so if we have to go somewhere, we either take him with or give him some meds for the anxiety. So in his last days I refuse to just drop him off at a hospital and go home knowing full well in my heart that he misses his Mommy and will deteriate quickly. I will continue to force feed him and make sure he drinks plenty of liquids each and every day until that dredful day comes when I know he has given up. Then I will do what I have to to give him peace. I am so glad to find out that they can give him a seditive at home so his last memories will be of  his Daddy and Mommy just holding him and loving him until he falls asleep. We are going to cremate him, I am with you, when my husband and I go we plan to be cremated and then mixed together and spread back where we met and fell in love and I became Thor's Mommy, so we decided that Thor will be right there with us. I hope that doesn't sound too twisted, I find it quite romantic. Being able to chat with someone that knows full well what I am going through does make this a little easier. My husband is such a wonderful man and he loves Thor just as much as I do, I am trying to help him deal with this and try to lift the heaviness off his heart, but he is so worried about me and how this is going to affect me in the end because he sees me doing everything I am doing now just to help make Thor better. And seeing how it just breaks my heart, breaks his. Again I want to truly Thankyou for listening to me and giving me such loving feedback. Until next time...Chrissy
Chrissy, my heart is breaking for you going through this with your precious Thor.  Have you tried the Hills K/D prescription diet?  It is designed specifically for dogs with kidney disease.  Also, if you Google Canine Kidney failure, diets you will get a whole slew of links that give you easy to prepare recipes that you can cook for him at home that will help tremendously and might even buy him a considerable amount of time.  I had a puppy in my rescue that had been turned in because his owners couldn't bring themselves to put him down, but they couldn't afford to care for him any longer.  He was six months old when he came to live with me.  He was diagnosed with a condition called "juvenile kidneys", which means that his kidneys didn't grow with him as he did, they were the size of the kidneys in a 3 month old puppy.  

By all that's right and holy, he should have died within 2 weeks of coming to live with me.  But I put him on a diet of home cooking and very low protein, and he lived to be four years old.  He loved life, and I had to give him whatever time God intended for him to have on this earth.  It was truly a miracle that he lived as long as he did, but he loved every minute of it, and I don't for one minute regret any of the extra time that it took to prepare his food.  Maybe you'll have some luck with the home cooking.  It's worth a try.

Ghilly
Hey, well we just got back from the vet and our precious Thor is in kidney failure. The vet wanted to keep him in the hospital for a minimum of 72 hours and then recheck his bloodwork again but they could not garuntee he would get any better, so we opted to take him home and try to keep him as comfortable as possible for the short time we have left with him. Thank you all for listening to me, it does help.
Chrissy