Dogs Community
chronic nasal symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

chronic nasal symptoms

M Y DOG IS A 13 YEAR OLD MIXED BREED TERRIER, SPAYED FEMALE. SHE HAS SUFFERED FROM A CHRONIC NASAL CONDITION FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS NOW, HER SYMPTOMS ARE AS FOLLOWS; SNEEZING WITH A WHITE ,BUT WHEN INFECTED YELLOW DISCHARGE, FOLLOWED BY GAGGING AND RETCHING TRYING TO COUGH UP SOMERTHING. MY VET HAS HAD HER ON ANTIROBE 75MG AND BAYTRIL 68.5 MY VARIOUS TIMES. WHEN ON THE ANTIBIOTICS SHE DOES MUCH BETTER, BUT ABOUT 2 DAYS AFTER THEY ARE STOPPED THE SYMPTOMS RETURN.  SHE HAD DENTAL SURGERY WHERE HE REMOVED HER RIGHT CANINE TOOTH AFTER SEEING A SLIGHT PROBLEM ON XRAYS. AGAIN THIS DID NOT HELP. MY VET RECENTLY RETIRED AND NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT DO FOR HER. SHE HAS BEGUN TO COUGH BADLY EVERY TIME SHE GETS UP FROM A LYING POSITION. JUST FINISHED ANOTHER DOSE OF ANTIROBE  GIVEN FOR ALMOST 3 WEEKS. I EVEN PURCHASED AN EXPENSIVE AIR PURIFIER TRYING TO HELP.  WHAT TESTS SHOULD A NEW VET TAKE TO TRY TO HELP HER B EFORE ITS TOO LATE?

THANK YOU
You know, I had a German Shepherd Dog who had nasal problems, and after several similar treatments as your dog, we took him to a university vet school hospital, and they did a procedure under anesthesia to look in his nose, and to see in there, they had to completely irrigate his nasal passages.  Well, they didn't see anything in there, but I'll have you know that dog didn't have any further sinus issues.  So, I would suggest you go to an animal hospital in your area, and ask them to knock him out and irrigate his nose, maybe that will clear up whatever is going on in there.  That's just a tip, I don't know if it would work for your dog like it did for ours.  
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR DOG AND HIS NASAL
PROBLEMS. I WILL FIND A VET SCHOOL HOSPITAL TO DO THIS  IF SHE'S NOT TO
UNHEALTHY TO BE PUT UNDER ANESTHESIA. I SURE DO APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE  TIME TO SHARE WITH ME YOUR EXPERIENCE ABOUT YOUR DOG.
ANYTHING IS WORTH A TRY SHE IS MISERABLE AT TIMES.  GOD BLESS***
DEBBIE1963123
I have a 16 1/2 yr. old cocker spanial that has been having thick yellowih to  greenish discharge from her left nostril,that hangs out and she has been sneezing on and off at times . What do you feel is the cause of this? Could it be cancer-- there is never any blood. Her nose on the right side is very dry and flakes off at times. Please help! Thank You. Holli