Dogs Community
cleff pallet

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

cleff pallet

My cavalier KC spaniel had a litter of pups about 5 months ago. One of which was born with a cleff pallet i kept that one and she is doing well apart from being a little small. Do you think i should get my ***** spayed now or could i breed from her again? I'm worried i will get another pup with a cleff pallet.
I would not breed her again.  But get your vets advice.  These types of defects can be hereditary, and you would not want to take the chance of it happening again.  It usually does not have a happy ending.

In my opinion, which I know some won't agree with, there is no reason to breed if you are not showing your dogs.   Breeding should be to improve and refine the breed, and to perpetuate outstanding lines.
Often breeding just for the sake of breeding leads to the emergence of undesirable traits, which then get passed on.  Even if you don't get more pups with a cleft palate, your other pups may still have the trait for it, if it was a congenital problem.  So even if they seem healthy, purchasers of your pups may get an unpleasant surprise if they later try to breed--this or other defects may seem to crop up out of nowhere.  Much as this did...perhaps your KC spaniel had this defect somewhere in her background, and it just emerged with your pup.   Whoever you got your KC from may not even tell you...or perhaps they had the same thing you did....a single pup with it somewhere in the background that they didn't think was important.

What does your vet say about this little pup?  That's what worries me.  How big is the cleft?  

Check with your vet, but I think your b@tch should be spayed, and any purchaser of the other puppies will have to be warned that they are littermates of a pup with a cleft palate, and they should probably not breed those dogs, either.   There is probably no way to assure that this is just a one time genetic flaw, or an inheritable anomaly.  Often unscrupilous breeders will not tell you if this has happened to them before.  So there is no way to be sure.

Good luck with the little pup.