Dogs Community
coccidia

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

coccidia

My 11 week old puppy (choc lab mix female) was diagnosed with coccidia.  The vet gave her albon 2cc once a day. Her stool was hard with no blood for about 2 days, and now she is back to loose stools with a small amount of red blood. I have not seen mucous again.  She has not finished the treatment for albon, has a healthy appetite, is not dehydrated and is active.  I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I should take her back to the vet. Again she is not finished with the treatment she has about 2 days left.  The only thing i did change was we were giving her treats with apple and lamb in it. So I ceased using those because maybe she is allergic to apples?  Please help
Cocci is not all that uncommon in puppies, especially when stressed.  Albion is usually the drug of choice but more than one treatment might be needed.  If you have any questions, perhaps you can just call in and ask and not have to make an appointment.  My own Vet is good about this.  Sounds like the pup is doing ok but you do have to be concerned if he starts being lethargic, gets worse and stops eating and drinking.
Once treated, they usually build up an immunity.
However, you have to be vigilant about keeping things and the environment as clean as possible.  Bleach his water and food bowls daily.  Try to limit the area where he potties.  Best on a hard surface, if possible.  Make sure stools are picked up right away and spray the area with diluted bleach, if you can.
Do remember to keep your own hands washed.
Thank you so much for your response! I took her back to the vet and thankfully all those pests are gone, but she had a bacterial infection in her belly too...Doctor said it couldve been giardia...we're on the final day of flagyl and finally the puppy seems to be having normal, blood free stool..My new stress is that she no longer seems to want to eat her dry food, so now we embark on a new journey of anxiety :) Thanks again for your answer, I really appreciate it!

Toni-ann