Dogs Community
ddeiman

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

ddeiman

hey i see you work with dogs with skin problems, i had a shihztu that we put down two weeks ago, very hard and took part of my heart. he started getting skin problems when he was somewhere around 1 years old. he was gave shots everymonth, the shots helped a lot and keep him where he could enjoy life, than they stoped working and for 6 years he was gave preds, they helped but made him very big he was 42 pds at one time , when he passed he was 37 thats huge for a shihztu. he had glads that would grow huge and bust, he was 17 years old when he passed so he out lived his years but most he was itchy and on meds.  my husband went out and got me another shihztu puppy, dont have her yet, shes only 4 weeks but i want to get everything for her before she gets here , the breeder says she was breed to not have skin problems if she ever does they will replace her (dont think so after i fall in love with her to late)  but what can i bath her in/feed her treast that wont cause these problems. i loved my baby kiz and dont want another to go through the skin thing.i no never to feed human food , kiz was on lamb and rice but nothing helped him. thank you for all your help it really scares me to have another one and the hurt of losing her to. Barbara
Hi Barbara first I am so sorry for your loss! Second, congrats on the new baby. I certainly hope the breeder is honest about not breeding when allergies are in the genetics but I hate when breeders say they'll take back a puppy because so many of them that just means they'll just put it down once returned. As far as special foods or baths I would let the pup have a normal diet and shampoo. I know it's hard to get out of the "allergy" mindset when you've had such a heart wrenching  time with your last baby. My 1 dog is an allergy and GI mess and then when I got my other dog it was so scary for me to feed her normal treats and use normal shampoos but in time I got used to her being normal, lol. If your pup starts showing signs of allergies especially under 1 year of age it's usually food related and an elimination diet should be done. I wouldn't go the vegetarian food route for a pup. Probably would say try a limited protein food like Nature's Recipe venison and potato or duck/pot, rabbit/pot or fish/pot. Food trials can be effective if done strict nothing but the food for at least 8-10 weeks. Use the kibble for treats or banana, marshmallow, carrots or canned pumpkin can be used for treats too. I also recommend making frozen meatballs out of the canned version of the food or put some canned food or pumpkin in a kong and freeze it, they LOVE frozen things and it's good for mental stim for the puppy. If allergy issues resolve on a strict diet then you cna either stick with it or you can try challenging back 1 thing at a time to see what they are allergic too. Usually we say try chicken in small amounts added to the food and well if they're allergic you'll start to see symptoms. Usually we say try 1 new food for a week and if nothing shows up then go to another but most people never try any because they figure the dog is happy with their diet and being symptom free so why bother. A shampoo that I use in between my boy's flare up's is Virbac's Allergroom or Hexadene. Their are some websites that sell it cheaper than what most vets charge. DVM makes a version called chlorhexiderm but it doesn't smell as nice.  When he has flare up's I use Ketochlor by Virbac to control the yeast on his paws etc.  It never hurts to just wipe them down after playing outside. I usually have to wipe down my toddler anyway so my 2 dogs get a wipe down too, lol. Hope this all helps but please don't worry your new baby might not have allergies and that would be great! Good luck. Any questions please click on my name and you can post a note to my profile :)