Dogs Community
disc problem

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

disc problem

My Boston terrior jumped off the bed, and hurt himself.  He was yelping when I got to him.  He favored his left paw.  I took him to the vet, and she put him on rimadyl for a week.  It didn"t seem to help.  I took him back and another vet checked him, and put him on robaxin, tramadol and prednisone.  He isn't getting better, he is worse.  He goes into a room and stares at the wall.  He yelps every time he walks. He raises both paws off the flloor,  and stands on his hind legs, because he can't hardly put his front paws down.  When we try to put his pills down him, he yelps when we raise his head. He has bitten me twice.  I am at my wits end.  I sit and cry when I see him in so much pain.. I can't afford surgery.. Please someone tell me where I should go from here.  Thank you, and may God bless.
Tags: Pain, problem
Welcome...How old is this guy? First, you need to google IVDD (Intervertebral Disc/Disk Disease) & read everything you can, so you can understand what is going on.......We're any xrays taken?
Your dog should be in a crate and NOT allowed to do anything for 4-6 weeks while the disk heals...Only carried out to potty and then back in to crate! NO walking, running jumping, etc!
It sounds as if it's a Cervical Disc (Neck) from what you describe....The good news is in the neck, it's rare for total paralysis.....However, the inflammation MUST be brought under control.....
If you want my opinion of your medications, please let me know the doses & how often he is taking them...The combination of the 3 together are probably making him feel worse & the odd behavior (Staring at the wall) occurs....Is he eating? Drinking? Are the medications making him constipated? That can be a factor & needs to be evaluated.....
Next: Find a Holistic Vet in your area to get your dog there for Acupuncture ASAP.....IMO, this is a MUST!
To find a Vet in your area, Google AHVMA......There will be a search bar by state.....He/She will help you & your dog....Please, let us know, Karla
Karla,
First if all l want to thank you so much for getting back to me.
He is taking the tramadol 50 mg. 1/2 tablet twice daily.  This is the second refill on this.  He takes robaxin 500 mg.  1/2 tablet twice daily.  The prednisone is 5mg. 1/2 tablet twice daily for 7 days.  I now have to give him only 1/2 daily once a day for 7 days and then I give him 1/2 daily every other day.  They were all filled on 11/14/12.  Like I said, he is not any better.  He is 5 yrs. Old.

Sincerely,
Joy
How much does your guy weigh & is he still eating, peeing, pooping regularly?