Dogs Community
do dogs get jealous?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

do dogs get jealous?

I have 3 cats a dog and a rat, and now a 3 month old baby. I know cats can get very jealous but can dogs be like that? Lately my dog (3yr old Red Healer) has been barking every day and night, mostly at night though which is the problem. Could she be jealous of the baby and acting up? She use to sleep all night but now she barks at every little noise, some nights we are getting up every hour to shut her up. We've tried taking her out for walks everyday but that doesn't make a difference. What can we do to stop this? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Hi There.
You know I had adopted a boxer at 2 years of age and she was ..how to put it...skiddish...and overeacting to everything.
I started to watch Cezar Millan tapes and miracle happened...I learned many different things and applied to everyday life for my dog little by little.....and she is a calm and lovable dog...now. She knows where her place in the pack is...cause there only can be a ONE leader....and it's not her ...it's my husband.
I also got few days ago another puppy Chiuhahua and was affraid Charlie-boxer will be jelous...at first she was kind off jelous but I fed  her and the puppy together and spend some time playing together and they both learned to be friends. I also have 2 cats which as we all know cats are always dominant no matter what kinds of animals are concerned. They lerned quickly that puppy is a member of the pack and stopped looking at my puppy like they see a plate full of  food.
I strongly believe that you need to take charge and show your dog who is the alfa of the pack because we all live under one roof and dogs are considering humans as a members of the pack and if we do not show them who is the boss they try to take charge.. You also need to take your baby and introduce it to your animals ...your dog is  jelous !!! Honestly Cezar Millan is a great teacher who does not train dogs he teaches people and rehabilitates dogs.
I am convinced that you will find a good material to apply to your situation.
Good luck.
I agree with sunes , cesar milan really knows animals ... anyway if your dog is barking and you want him to be quiet.... yelling and screaming from afar isnt going to do a thing to stop him....best way is to go to him , do not say a word , walk up and use your hand and nudge him as if your giving him a little push...you dont have to use force or strength just soft pressure to jolt him out of barking  and get his attention and say (no barking) or just a NO! only use one word ... this should stop him but you will probably have to do this a few times before he gets the hint...the only problem with this is  by having to go out and stop him barking can be  time consuming but well worth it in the end ...My dogs used to bark at the fence at the other dogs barking now they just ignore the barking on the otherside and sleep through it...My neighbours have asked me " do you still have your dogs because we never hear them barking anymore" .....

cheers:)
ne55
I will try that, thanks. At the moment we use "quiet". She has learnt what that means, will it work if I do what you said but replace NO with QUIET? Thanks.
nikky10

yes it will work whatever you and your dog understands... as long it is one word and you can say it firm and assertively ....do not lose your cool and get angry...stay calm and assertive...
goodluck
send me a post on how you go!

ne55
I love Cezar-he's the best.
I have 2 doberman pinchers- 1 male (Prince) I have had since a puppy. I used to work out of my house so we were able to spend alot of time together- about 9 mnths. my son who lives with me talked me into getting a female(Raven) to keep him company.
They get along just fine but if  Raven comes upstairs to my bed Prince will leave - he will make a discusted ???? I think noise and goes down stairs. He only comes back if I forse him and then he leaves again at the first chanse. I feel guilty because the message I am getting is he is upset that I am patting her then she will go to the bottom of the bed out of reach and all is well. (any suggestions) thanx Cindy ***@****