Dogs Community
dog eats everything

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

dog eats everything

My Lab/Rotti eats everything he sees. He is one year old.  I will give him bones and balls and he still wants everything else. It's like he has to constintly have something in his mouth. He has to constintly be watched. Any suggestions on what to do?
Tags: everything
i no how u feel, i have a siberian husky exatctly the same, when we have been out he had gone throgh cupboards, eaten cereal, pulled the entire contents of the bin out, give him a ball he tries to eat that. I partly blame the owners before as they were feeding him on the wrong food, he had a major case of worms etc, now he just eats anything he can. We give him his food, he does not enjoy it he just gulps it down.
My Doberman puts everything in his mouth and had to have his stomach opened up twice - he almost died the first time as I was at work and came home to vomit - and he was vomitting water and very weak - I didn't know what was wrong - the vet took out socks and even a glove - well after the second surgery to remove rocks, I had to do something - so he never goes outside with a wire basket muzzle - and of course, I can't leave him out in the sun or heat because he can't pant and that is the way they cool themselves - so he goes out and runs around with my other dogs in the early AM and in the evening and then I bring him back inside. Now inside the house, I keep him in a wire enclosure - the kind you can put in your yard but is portable and they cost anywhere from $75 to $100 - but it is fairly good sized about 4 feet by 6 feet and I set it up in the TV room. He has his blanket, water and a couple of bones - that way he cannot grab a wash cloth and gulp it down - actually his throat is one big hole and everything just slids down - then we watch TV together and he curls up next to me - and we go for nice walks - but it is difficult to watch your dog 24/7 - but I have learned how to make it work. He is happy and still is a part of things but now he is safe but I couldn't afford any more surgeries that cost around $1,200 apiece.

Mercy
Sorry, I made a mistake above - he never goes outside without a wire basket muzzle on.
Yea my dog eats everything outside too, she's not so bad inside but she loves to eat garbage, leaves, sticks, rocks, dirt. We do not allow her outside without us beside her watching her, if she tries to eat something we tell her no and she wont eat it, if its in her mouth, we open it up, take it out and tell her no.
Obviously you can't watch a dog 24/7, a muzzle would be a good idea to keep them out of stuff, I  assume you probably kennel him when youre gone so that's good.
We stopped my last dog from eating things by putting hot sauce on a few things.