dog having diarrhea and vomiting
My year and a half yr old poodle had a bout of diarrhea and vomiting yesterday. I rushed her to the emergency vetvand had blood testing done.this was last night. Right when I got home from the vet she was running around playong. Vet said it was nothing serious. But today without eating house food that upset her stomach she still had some diarrhea. Is this something to worry about or maybe some diarrhea still left over from last night? She is lively and running around.
You said she is lively and running around, so...At this point, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You had the vet check her out, and the vet seems comfortable with it. Hopefully the vet gave you an anti-diarrhea medication,  However if not, and the vomiting and diarrhea continues for the next day or two, or appears to be getting worse, I would certainly call the vet and ask for an anti-diarrhea medication. I would also bring a stool sample to the vet, and have it checked for parasites.
There have been times when my dogs have gotten Diarrhea, and I have found that Shredded Coconut seems to help bind the stools, and my dogs love it.
I just hand feed it to them, and they gobble it up.
I wish the best  for you and your pooch...Please let us know how she is doing...Thanks...
Connie
The vet gave me immodium ad. However she throws it up. But still very perky and lively. Doc did test for parasites, she doesn't have any.
Hi Connie. Apparently, small amounts of coconut are fine for dogs and the same goes for coconut oil, which some sites say is actually very beneficial, but the milk can cause digestive issues, so it is best avoided. Desicated coconut (used for baking) is not good for dogs and should certainly be avoided - and some coconut sold as bird food has added sugars, so this too is best avoided. Someone posted they made a great toy for their dogs using a coconut by sanding the outside so it was smooth, piercing the shell so the milk could be drained off and then giving the coconut to their dog to chew on. However, others have said that an excessive amount of coconut actually agve their dog diarrhea, so my guess is it probably depends on the size of the dog and how much coconut they are given in one go. Tony
Good Morning...
Hopefully your dog will be able to keep the immodium down long enough to help clear the diarrhea..but again, if your dog is still vomiting and continues to have diarrhea, and you see no improvement by tomorrow, I suggest that you call your vet back, and get your dog re-evaluated.
Please let us know how she is doing...
Connie

Hi Tony...!
Thanks for the additional info on coconut.
I usually use shredded unsweetened organic coconut.
As far as the use of the sweetened coconut goes,it would not be my first choice,but, I will confess that I have used it a few times for my dogs. It did not seem to cause any problems with my dogs, and it cleared up the diarrhea.. Of course, sweetened anything is not something that should be given to dogs regularly, and as you mentioned, should be avoided. Organic,unsweetened, is the way to go.
Thanks for mentioning this Tony.

As far as the amounts are concerned..when my small dog ( 9 pounds )  had diarrhea, I have given him about 1 teaspoon twice a day. This amount seemed to work well for him.
My 80 pound dogs have been given a Tablespoon (or a little more) twice a day, and this amount seems to work well for them.
Typically, if it is just a simple case of diarrhea, my dogs stools will be back to normal in a day or two at most. If not, then it's time to visit the vet for a thorough evaluation.
Connie

I wouldn't give her anything for 24 hours, except water alone. No coconut -nothing to eat at all.
If her stomach settles, and no more diarrhea, after that time, then the next day start her on JUST plain boiled white rice, small amounts every few hours. If by that evening there is no more diarrhea, start adding some plain boiled chicken or white fish (no seasoning) to the rice, then keep her on that for a couple of days.
At the same time make sure fresh water is available all the time.
I agree with ginger. Often in cases like this, where the vet has done the important tests and has found no serious underlying cause, it is best to starve a dog for 24 hrs (but always provide fresh water) to allow the digestive tract to settle down. Then, assuming the vomiting and diarrhea has subsided, provide small amounts of food. Boiled skinless chicken or cooked white fish and boiled white rice (not brown rice, as dogs find this hard to digest) is easy on the stomach. On the 3rd day, increase the amount to a normal meal size. If things are ok after 4 days you can safely return to the dog's usual food, but if vomiting and diarrhea start again, it may well be that it is the dog's usual food (or an ingredient therein) that is causing a problem. Tony
Thanks for the info, she is doing great so far today.
Helpful info thank u. She is doing great today
You got good advice and glad to hear she is doing better. You can always try some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) added to her food.