Dogs Community
dog lump in neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

dog lump in neck

My Boxer who is six years old has produced a large size - the size of a golf ball in her neck. It started out with her falling down the stairs and her limping. I thought she broke her leg or hurt it. When I brought her to the vet they told me she had an ear infection and she was feeling the pain in her paw. She has been on an antibiotic and seems to be doing better, however the lump in her neck is getting bigger and bigger. I am trying to make her an appointment but they don't have any openings until December 4th. Does anyone know what this lump could be? I have tried to look it up online but have had no luck. PLEASE HELP.
I forget what those lumps are called, but Boxer's are prone to them. I have Boxers and my vet said it was common. They'll do a biopsy just to make sure. If she is eating and drinking fine, acting normal etc. I wouldn't stress too much about the appt on the 4th, that's not too far away. Good luck and I hope she is okay!
Thank you for responding I hope everything works out. It calmed me down alittle.
I was petting my 10 yr old Snorkie last night and noticed,or was shocked by, an enourmous, hard mass under her jaw and into her neck.  It is the size of a tennis ball.....and my dog only weighs 8 lbs.  I had noted in the past several weeks, she is taking her treats and hiding them, as opposed to "munching down".....it is also hard for her to eat today.  She is drinking and playing outside.....but this mass was not there when I bathed her about 9 days ago..........My oldest Cat passed away last summer from oral cancer, but that was so obvious what she had, the vet put her down.   Whatever this is it is very fast growing and I am terrified.  Have left a message at the emergency vet hospital ......no call back yet.  What is this? I am crying already.  
Ruth
Hi Ruth. I am not sure what this is. But it is possible it could be swollen lymph glands, owing to an infection or something similar? Or could this be an enlarged Thyroid gland?Lumps are always terribly scary to discover, but very often they are not cancer. Anyway, get her to the vet as soon as possible, and see what they say. Good luck, and hope your dog is better soon.
You did the right thing by calling the emergency vet before coming here to post.  While we can very often give people a pretty good estimation of what is going on with their dogs when they ask their questions here, the bottom line is that only a licensed veterinarian is qualified to diagnose what is actually wrong.

While I might be wrong, I doubt that it's a cancerous tumor because you said it was not there nine days ago and now it's the size of a tennis ball.  It would have to be an extremely aggressive, fast growing cancer to go from not being there to being the size of a tennis ball in nine days.  It sounds like it might be a salivary cyst.  Sometimes a salivery gland will form a cyst, and these pop up seemingly overnight and can get quite large.  I'm thinking that might be what you're dealing with here.

Please post back when the hospital calls or after you have taken her in to be seen and let us know what the diagnosis is.  In the meantime, while I know it's a lot easier said than done, try to relax.

Ghilly