Dogs Community
dog neck bending one side

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

dog neck bending one side

Hello my dog was alright till yesterday night but since today morning its neck is bending towards left side and it does not have strength to walk.I called doctor he gave 3 injunctions It also had vomiting after injections. ...............can any one tell me what symptoms are these.

and can any one help me out with solutions.
Hi. I think this is definitely one for your vet to examine, take blood tests for analysis and treat accordingly. It could be a stroke, which can cause partial paralysis, hence left hand sided neck bend and poor walking strength. How old is your dog? Have you noticed prior symptoms? What type of dog do you have? Have you been giving your dog any kind of strenuous excersizing recently? Tony
hello tony thanks for your concern and reply....my dog is 13 yrs old and there were no prior symptoms suddenly it happened 2 days back Pomeranian crossbreed is my dogs breed. no i haven't gave my dog any strenuous exercise .......it happened suddenly .
I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say the dogs neck is bending to one side?   Do you mean that the dogs head is tilted towards the left, and her neck is bent causing the head to tilt...?  
If so, your 13 year old dog could have a condition known as vestibular disease. This disease will typically affect older dogs, and makes it difficult for the dog to walk. Vestibular disease / syndrome affects your dogs sense of balance, and your dog will not know is he is right side up, or upside down...it makes the dog very dizzy. If the dog tries to walk, It will cause the dog to stumble, or fall over, and the dogs eyes may move from side to side, or up and down. The dog may also experience motion sickness, and vomit.
Vestibular syndrome/ disease happens suddenly. The most common cause is Idiopathic. Idiopathic vestibular disease is also known as "old dog vestibular disease"  The good news is, IF , and I repeat....IF this is what your dog has, many times, the condition will reverse itself, and you might start to see improvement in 3 days, with the dog being almost back to normal in 1 or 2 weeks.  
Please know that I am not a Vet, I am just a dog lover. The information I gave you is not a diagnosis... I am just offering you a possibility of what might be wrong with your dog. Tony is right, your dog should always be evaluated and treated by your vet.  You can also discuss Vestibular Disease /syndrome with your vet in further detail.
What did your Vet tell you was wrong with your dog....?
I hope that your dog will be feeling better soon.
Best wishes to you both....
Connie

I have a 6 y.o. mini poodle he was fine @3pm I just came home and he is tilting his head to one side I have smelled his ear to see if there is an infection.massaged his back and neck tried to get him to tilt his head the other way by walking and talking on that side but to no avail I have his sister she is fine
MY DOG SUFFERED A LOT DURING THIS STAGE AND WITH IN A MONTH ON AUG 22 2012..HE PASSED AWAY.....
I FEEL LIKE THIS HAPPENED DUE TO LACK OF FACILITIES AND TECHNOLOGY IN MY AREA.
THERE IS NO GOOD VET IN MY AREA,THIS HAPPENED ALSO BCAUSE ONE IDIOTIC VET WHO KEPT ME WAITING,FOR HIS VISIT TO MY HOME....AND MY DOG PASSED AWAY.....:'(...
Hello again. When you first posted back in June 2012, you didn't have a diagnosis for what was ailing your dog. Did you ever manage to get a good diagnosis from a vet about the original condition?

I am sorry you feel there are no good facilities in your locality and that this may have contributed to your best friend's demise. Hopefully you will come back on this occasion and let us know what you discovered, if anything, as this may help others.

Tony
I think you may have just given me hope for what my7 little guy  may have goin on .    Can the dog not eat and have seizure like moments  ?
I believe, you have helped save my dogs life  with your info about vestibular syndrome
!!!!!!!