Dogs Community
dog not eating,drinking lots of water and been in heat for nearly 4 wee...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

dog not eating,drinking lots of water and been in heat for nearly 4 weeks

hi my dog sasha is 9 years old and is a staffie cross she has been in heat for nearly 4 weeks the bleeding is tailing of now but she is now not eating but is drinking lots of water and sleeping a lot her back legs also seem weak don't know if this is because she is not eating she will eat small bits a food from us like ham or chicken but not her food and drinks so much water and then brings some back up a short time later can anyone give me some advice as i am very wooried normally she is a livley dog
Hi Annie.....The symptoms of what your describing can be caused by a number of illnesses......The drinking lots of water can be from many diseases, but are treatable...She needs to be seen by a Vet ASAP, as your dog seems to have something serious going on....

Bloodwork & Urinalysis needs to be performed to diagnose her problem....She will only get worse and already sounds like she doesn't feel good.....Any time a dog refuses food, that's your first clue that they're ill....Please have her checked....

Only a Vet will be able to tell you what's wrong....We, on this forum can only guess and that's not fair to Sasha.....Good luck and check back in with updates.......Karla
hi karla thanks for the advice going to take her to the vet on monday i'm just a bit worried that it's something really serious and she's like my baby

I don't want to scare you, but these symptoms sound a lot like pyometra, combined with the fact that she is/was in heat.  I would get her in to the vet ASAP if possible.
Please keep us posted on your baby's progress.
I guess you have already taken her by now to be checked out. But I'll just say that pyometra can present with slightly different symptoms sometimes. If you research, and find that pyometra symtoms (symptoms) include vaginal discharge...well that's not always the case. As there is a form of Pyometra which is "closed" (that means the neck of the womb is closed, and there is no discharge) This can be a harder form to spot. Also some forms have a very acute onset....and some forms have an insidious onset....again hard to spot.

4 Weeks is a little too long for a heat cycle. That is normally no more than 21 days, or 3 weeks, and the last week of that if there is obvious b;leeding at all, then it is very light indeed and sometimes the discharge is only just noticeable. So if your girl was actually bleeding for 4 weeks, there is something wrong there.

By the way, if this does turn out to be pyometra, it is important to get treatment as soon as possible. Ideally there should be an IV with fluids and antibiotics set up straight away. followed by surgery to remove the womb as soon as the vet is satisfied the fluids and antibiotics are stabilizing the situation. Fluids are extremely important as they flush the kidneys which can sometimes be overwhelmed by toxins from the diseased womb which enter the bloodstream.
However, if treated correctly Pyometra does not have to be the end of the world. I have a dog who had acute pyometra last month, and was treated, and is more than 100% right now!
I agree with Deadgamegrrl. These symptoms sound just like pyometra. It is (usually) a deadly disease that causes her horns (fallopian tubes) to swell up with pus and usually burst. Immediate surgery is needed. Please bring her in right away!!