Dogs Community
dog paw sutured and now oozing

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

dog paw sutured and now oozing

My dog cut his paw 1.5 weeks ago.  We took him to the vet who sutured it.  He finished the course of antibiotics and has had the stitches removed, but now the outer part of the wound is oozing serosanguinous fluid and it does not seem to be healing.  At first I was putting steristrips on it and bandaging it with gauze, but in the past few days I have let it air dry.  He licks it occasionally.  It still seems wet and continues to ooze.  I have not noticed any change in the wound, but there is not any sign of infection (no pus).  He limps a little but it is not bothering him nearly as much as it was in the beginning.  He is a very energetic dog, but we have not been letting him return to his normal activity yet.  

Any advice on the best next step to treat his paw?
Do you know for sure what he cut it on?  It could be that he still has something IN there that is causing it to not heal properly.  It would not have been infected because he was taking antibiotics, but the fact that there is a liquid oozing from it almost makes it seem like the body is trying to flush something out of it.  Was an x-ray done when he was taken in for sutures?

Ghilly