Dogs Community
dog stomach or anal pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

dog stomach or anal pain

hi, i dont know if anyone can help me. My dog who is a 2.5 shitzapoo was uncomfortable and i assumed it was her bum. My mother-in-law took her to the vet and they drained her anal glands and they said that it was very full. She is still in extremem dis comfort and i am thinkig now it is because she is eating and maybe there is something blocking in her stomach.
We live on raw land and this dog eats anything. I have brought her to the bet three times and they keep telling me its nothing and her glands might be swollen but it think they are over looking stuff. HELP!
awe so sorry shes going throught that , shes so tiny and i no she dont understand her pain and why mommy cant help her, its really hard on us as owners . i see your doing all you can, is there another vet to take her to. i would if you can , if shes no better than something is not right with her little tummy. i would not let her eat all that stuff, i have a shih ztu and  if she eats anything off ground she also get sick/throws up. just have to watch her really good when shes outside.  i hope you get her some relief soon nothing worse than a belly ack
Hello and welcome.......Did they think her anal glands were infected or just very full?
If something is blocking her stomach or intestines, she will be vomiting and will NOT be able to poop. Has she had a bowel movement? This is what you need to watch for....Is she eating regularly and drinking? When did she have her anal sacs expressed? Sometimes, just having them expressed is painful and in my experience, it takes about a week for them to get over it...Please, keep us posted........
There are 2 different kinds of obstructions.Partial obstruction can cause vomiting and diarhea (diarrhea) and then there is complete obstruction which causes stomache pain and No bowel movements.Sometimes the anal glads have to be excreted on a regular bases.Did the vet say if they where infected or did they put her on any meds.I have to excrete my pekingese anal glands every few weeks.If your vet thinks that she may have to have them done often then maybe they could show you how to do them at home.Alot of times after they have them done then they will scoot around and whine due to glands being irriatated.Well i hope that your baby gets to feeling better soon.Take care
first off i just want to thank you guys for all your input. It was really nice to hear and know that having the anal glands expressed can hurt for over a week. I took her to the emergency vet yet again and this one seemed to be really thorough, maybe cause she knew this was the fourth time in a week and i am obsessed with my dog.
I got her urine tested and it came back that there were small crystals and she said with shih ztu that is very common. So she put me on some specific food that i am suppose to try for one week and some fibre powder that i am suupose to add to the food. Its suppose to be like what activia is for humans. All and all i have to wait a week and then take her back if no improvments for a pretty expensive x ray. Doesn't matter, she is worth every penny!!!!
Oh and by the way her anal glands were NOT infected but full. I had thought my lady where i took her to be groomed was doing that i  am gonna have to keep a better eye.
thanks
I hope that your baby gets to feeling better soon.Atleast you know now what is really going on and  you can be able to treat the right problem.How is she feeling today?I bet that she has really been feeling bad.Did they tell you if there is anything to help prevent this from happening again.As far as her anal glands,Alot of groomers wont check or excrete them unless you ask them to.I excrete my Pekes every time i bath her.Well please keep us posted.Take Care and God Bless