Dogs Community
dog treats

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

dog treats

I have a 2 year old lab mix and my aunt constantly gives him dog treats. Ive told her many times not to give him just treats but she does, Can someone please tell her the effects it can cause on him??
Obesity is the most serious effect!...It eventually can lead to Joint Issues, Spinal Issues, Diabetes, & a host of other problems......Too many treats will get him overweight very quickly.......It's much harder to get the weight off as it is to put it on......

If she insists on giving treats constantly (When your not around), make sure it's something lowfat such as apple slices or cooked green beans.....Karla
Well, she is just going to love that dog to death!!!  Agree with what Karla said.  She has to convinced that animals are much like us and can definitely have the same issues we have from poor diets, over eating, etc.  Tell her to keep a container of cut up carrots, broccoli, poach up some chicken breast and give small pieces of that (keep refrigerated).  
I went into two stores in recent days and the owners had their dogs there.  They were both way too fat.  One was a little over 2 years old and I could *hear* it breathing, not good.  The other one lay down and could barely get up.  My aunt had a little mutt that I brought home to live with me when my aunt passed.  My aunt was another one that spoiled her animals.  The dog was like a little tank on toothpicks. It took me a month to get her on regular dog food.  She lost weight and was much more spry. She lived until she was about 15 or 16.  
I hope you aunt takes heed.
If she insists on giving him treats (and they do often, no matter HOW HARD you tell them not to -they think they know better!) -then give her a small portion of his regular kibble, that he would have at mealtimes. Tell her that's it -that's the treats quota for today, and to put the kibble in her pocket, and she had better make those treats last all day!
You will be able to work out how much kibble he's been given, and simply cut that amount out of his meals. That way he will get exactly the same amount of food and no more than he should have.
That won't do him any harm at all.
But all this treating might make him obsessed with food!

Really, people ought to respect owners wishes when it comes to feeding their dogs. And that includes family and friends. They seem to go deaf when asked not to do it!