I have a 6 year old Maltese that will not eat much or drink and shakes and does not move much. this started on new years eve. I took my dog to a vet and they said it could be a upset stomach from feeding human snacks and gave zantac. Could this be it or something else. Could some one help me?
Hi Spike98...this totally could be! I have a 3 year old Maltese and he gets the exact same way! These are sensitive little guys! 2 Christmas' ago my dad gave my Maltese a TON of people food because he felt bad the dog was eating dog food on Xmas...He loved the food but for about the next week my little guy was so miserable and we wouldn't eat or drink a thing (or very very little)! Try giving him/her some chicken and rice or some cottage cheese. This is usually pretty tasty to them and it won't upset the stomach even more! Good luck and give you doggie a squeeze!
Pancreatitis would be the first thing to check out after a hefty dose of fatty people-food. My vet tells me he sees definite spikes in pancreatitis cases after most holidays - the worst being the summer holidays when people are barbecuing and sharing with their dogs. Pancreatitis can be a fatal condition, and is diagnosed with a simple blood test to look at amylase and lipase levels. It's also a very painful condition, so it's important to have a correct diagnosis so the dog's pain can be properly treated.
The treatment for pancreatitis is pain management and withholding of anything by mouth. Your dog can go several days without food, and will probably not want to eat much anyway if it turns out to be panc. If he gets to where he can't keep water down, he'll need to be treated on an in-patient basis with IV fluids and nutrition while the pancreas calms down.
Since it appears the zantac isn't helping, it is certainly within reason to phone your vet for more advice. Hope all is well soon. :-)
This happened with our dog and it turned out to be severely minerealized kidneys. She now has to be on prescription food for the rest of her life, and we have to get blood tests every 6 months; her kidneys are only functioning at 30%.
I'm sure your doggie probably has something much less serious... but my point is, have blood tests done if your dog does not improve quickly!!
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your Maltese? We are experiencing similar issues with our 6 1/2 yr. old Maltese. Started month and a half ago. Wouldn't eat (and he always eats voraciously). Taken to vet around first week in August. Blood workup showed mild pancreatis (pancreatitis). He was started on mild diet and sent home. He seemed to get better but then would have bouts of what appeared to be severe pain, but we couldn't tell where pain was coming from. He would cry out, and what was odd is sometimes he would have these episodes and wasn't off his food at all. He remained more lethargic though, some days better than others. Just not himself. A few episodes of not wanting to eat again, and then other times showing signs of painful episodes. Maybe only one time with loose stool. He vomited initially (first of August) but then no vomiting until a 3 hour session of wretching, dry heaves. He has been in and out of vet's and hospital about 10 times. We are worn out. All blood work shows normal now and they have done very comprehensive blood work profiles. Vet is stumped. Last dry heaving episode was Sept. 22nd. He was in hospital all day for observation. By time we got him there he had stopped the dry heaving. When we got him home 6 PM he ate fine and seemed okay, but tired. Now today, Sept. 24th, absolutely won't eat, but no vomiting or dry heaving. He has been on special Iams Intestinal Low-Residue canned food diet from vet's office since first week of August. If anyone has a clue, please give me your thoughts. Most recent blood work shows no signs of pancreatitis, but something has to be going on.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.