Dogs Community
dog wont eat- cancer/lyme

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

dog wont eat- cancer/lyme

6421525?1291507252
my dog chester- golden-9 years old. his picture is all over the dog food containers- or so it seems. anyhow he won't eat. he has a mass in liver/kidney areas dr's think might be cancer. probably is. Weight went from 95- 72, also has lyme disease since he has been 2 but no symptoms. he stopped eating- kept switching food- until tonight he won't eat anything. he is on rymadol, and doxy. doxy for the lyme disease, but is dying from the cancer. his eating/weight is what is keeping him alive. although he isn';t in any pain and when he has food in him is in a good mood and wags tail.. he is out of energy and can't go on walks anymore.  I want to stop the doxy to see if that helps his appetite and give him a few more days- week maybe.  I am not too worried about the lyme he won't make it that long, but need to try to keep weight up and food in him for strength. he went through food in this order- dry- canned- cat- canned cat- milk- hot dogs/sausage/kielbasa- it seems last of all he would eat fatty meat. but nothing now.  I also need food in him so the doxy doesn't tear him up.. but might be an unimportant point. Ok the question is can i stop the doxy? and will it help his appetite or hurt it?

thanks,
Chester lover
Tags: wont eat
Try to speak directly to Dr Carol Osborne. I am sure she would be able to help you such a lot. She has a great deal of experience with cancer in pets, and also may have some suggestions for alternative methods (even if, by this stage they are palliative)
I feel for you. It is tough to be going through this. I wish I could help directly but haven't enough experience of anything quite the same.
You could contact Dr Carol Osborne by scrolling right down this page until you will see her article right down on the right. I am sure she will welcome your questions.
thanks ginger I will give it a shot.

I really feel for you as you can see I also have a nine yro Golden whom I adore....he suffers from Arthritus and he is getting spoilt because of that, even my Clumber Oscar is running around doing stuff for him,but as you know they are big lumps of love and devotion and a kinder sweeter breed of dog I have not found! maybe as good as... but not better.
Anyway just to say my thoughts and prayers are with you and please give him a kiss from me.
Thanks for your concern. He has not eaten all day today and is retaining water. His paws are swollen. I think when he looks in my eyes, he is asking me to make him better, like I always have in the past.  Now I fear I will have to make an appointment for the last favor.
The trouble is these dogs are so clever my English Mastiff had cancer and when the time came the vet came out and I acted like it was wonderful and everything was going to be great and great times were ahead for us all .....he was in my arms being covered with kisses when he gently closed his eyes and went to sleep.

I was suprised that it also helped me knowing that trust was there right at the end and forever.
Just wanted you to know my thoughts are with you and your lovely dog.

seeana - you made me tear up, but in a good way.  It is a lovely thing that we can give our suffering friends, even though it hurts us so.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I am sorry to hear about your dogs cancer and lack of appetite but am glad to offer suggestions and can help you. Once pets are diagnosed with cancer, alternative therapies become quite valuable as this is one of the areas in which traditional veterinary medicine falls short.
The Rimadyl, which has a history of killing dogs along with causing liver failure is the first issue. Stopping the doxycycline is something I would do immediately.

Daily fluids given subcutaneously are critical especially in this case. It is easy to do and your vet can show you how to do this. Vitamins and minerals can be given by mouth and/or by injection.

If you are able to provide me with lab results such as a blood, urine and perhaps ultrasound or biopsy that would enable me to offer you specific suggestions.

A home made carbohydrate free anti-cancer canine diet, along with systemic detoxification, daily fluids and proper natural vitamin therapies have helped many cancer dogs in our veterinary practice to enjoy many extra quality filled days.

Should you want to follow up with me, that would be fine.

Best Wishes,
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM