Dogs Community
dogs eating wild bunny poop

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

dogs eating wild bunny poop

I am wanting to know if it is bad for dogs to eat wild bunny poop?  My dogs seem to consider the little pellets
like they are candy.  
These rabbits do not have diarrhea.
I just had the dogs stools checked and they are negative.
They get a monthly dose of Ivermectin.
We may have to stick to the road for walks and skip the grass.
Yes, it is bad.   The internal parasites that ivermectin protects against, while of some concern, are not the real problem here.  Wild rabbits carry a number of bacteria and organisms that can cause lots of problems for pet dogs and cats.  Wild rabbits can carry leptospirosis, toxoplasmosis, and several other diseases that your dog can contract from eating their feces.  Pet rabbits don't have these problems, however in the wild animal population it's extremely dangerous for dogs to eat their droppings. Please take every precaution to make sure your dog doesn't consume any more of these "goodies".

Ghilly  

You are so correct, after reading so many comments that Bunny poop is just digested grass and water and can't harm your pet, I finally found some one with actual facts. About a year ago we adopted a tiny 12 yr old Chinese Crested which had no history of being sick. Within a month she came down with a very serious case of Giardia, which is spread by rabbit, gerbil,mice, & more. She was dewormed, and recovered. She went through this scenario 6 more times until we narrowed it down to giardia.We live next to a golf course loaded with wild rabbits, so after spraying our yard with repellent,our neighbor complained that they are just bunnies and she's been feeding them. When I informed her of Giardia, and that it is transferred to humans, she looked it up on the net, and all she could find were comments by ill informed commentors. So please, thanks, and head to the top of the class!  
.