Dogs Community
dogs snout swollen and bleeding

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

dogs snout swollen and bleeding

Hi there, my dogs snout is swollen on both sides just above her nose and there are now two bleeding scabs, any idea what this could be? It is winter here so its not a sting, and she was not in a fight, it seems itchy and bothering her, anything I can put on it ? Cortosone?
Tags: Dogs
I wonder if she got a snake bite?  It wouldn't be a venomous snake if so, or the consequences would have quickly been lethal.  Snakes hibernate in winter, and she may have stuck her nose in a nest.

My dog got nailed by some kind of a snake a couple months ago.  It was at night and she got bit on her eyebrow.  It swelled up with a big blood blister that popped the next morning.  Prescription antibiotic ointment that healed it up in a few days.

If the scabs keep breaking open, that obviously leaves the wounds open to infection.  I don't think cortisone cream will help much with this kind of swelling, and shouldn't be used on open wounds anyway.  She may need a steroid injection along with antibiotics to get this injury healed up quickly.  If she were my dog, I'd have my vet take a look at her.
Take her to the vet!
Is it eczema? Or does it look like a bite of some sort?

Our dog had what looked like eczema on his nose. The vet told me what it was called once, but I honestly don't remember the name. We cut open Vitamin E capsules and spread it on his nose until it healed.

I can't really tell by your post if it's the same thing though.
How long has your pet had the problem?  If this has been more than a day or two, yes, take her to a vet.  
I took her into the vet and they had no clue, they said it appears to be somekind of allergic reaction, but it's winter here,so she is only outside to go and back in cause she hates the snow. Her food hasnt changed etc. and because its ONLY on her nose and no where else they seem really baffled. I gave her Benedryl and cortosone like the vet said and it is getting better, Strange!
Thank goodness it's getting better!  I still tend to think she was bitten by something - whether a snake or a bug(s).  One other possibility is a stabbing by a sharp-edged plant like a yucca or cactus.  Apparently treating the symptoms while the allergen/ toxin works its course is working out, and that is great news.  :-)
Swollen nose, then bleeding , at first looked like she had skinned her nose , like road rash AND
could not wait the holiday weekend out so i took her to the vet on Christmas Eve morning.
My lab has folliculitis...in human trems similar to scabies...an infection in the hair follicles on her nose and was told
it's VERY common...so we are cleaning it daily, and smearing neosporin ointment along with
4 very large antibiotic pills a day. (don't let this one go..take your dog to the vet ) It looks horrible but is
more itchy for her than painful... but they do need to get on some antibiotics !!!