Dogs Community
elevated ALP

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

elevated ALP

I have a 13 year od  female dashound.
She recently had CBC all  the results come back with in normal limits except  the ALP level.  
She is very depressed acting.

Good appetite, has a very enlarged abdomen, no vomiting, no juandice, there is some weakness in hind legs.  My vet is stumped -
She does have kidney and bladder stones, and an enlarged pancreas and gallbladder.  She is currently just fed the Hills Perscription Diet S/D.  
Any thoughts
Welcome......I would suspect she's depressed as these stones are VERY painful.....
If the stones are caused by bacteria, then the bacteria running through her system will raise her Liver levels...Any kind of toxin, including medications, can raise ALP.
AN enlarged abdomen can also be from the stones.....
Your prescription diet is used for bladder stones.....Not, kidney stones!  This diet cannot sustain the health of any dog for a long period of time.
Has your Vet not suggested removing the stones? That's usually the first line of defense....She may not be well enough to be put under, so maybe surgery is not an option.....It sounds as if her bloodwork results are good enough to have a successful surgey, so I'm alittle confused....
If nothing else, your Vet needs to prescribe medication for pain until her problem can be sorted out......
If she is drinking alot & peeing alot with these other symptoms, I would think about Cushings disease.......
How high were her Liver enzymes? Do you know?  I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss here.....Karla
I agree with Misfits4Me, you dog has some symptoms of Cushings, has she been tested for it?
Yes I have had her tested for Cushings and she is negative.  The vet says that her liver at present is not healthy enough for the removal of her stones.  She has been on her dog food for 2 months now.  What they were hoping was this would disolve the stones in bladder to avoid surgery.  She is also on antibiotics.  Everytime we take her off the antibiotcs her bladder infection returns.   She seem as yu say to have every symptom of Cushing Disease.  I have been doing research on every website I can find.  They suggest to try Medicines for Cushings.  He thinks that she could not tolerate these, that they would be too toxic at this point.  
I did find some literature about elevated ALP and it said there could be the possibility of cancer, several different types.
Some days, especially in the AM, she is very active and eyes are bright and she wags her tail.  Then in the evening, she becomes a lot weaker and just wants to sleey.
She does not want me to bother her at all.  Sometimes i notice she has a bunching of her back for a few seconds.  She does have pain pills that I give her when she is very uncomfortable.
the Vet suggests we take one day at a time and moniter her symptoms closely.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I totally agree with your vet, the dog would not be able to tolerate Cushings meds right now, they are very strong acting.