Dogs Community
greedy labs

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

greedy labs

Hi, we have 2 lab ******* and feeding time is a nightmare as fights break out every time, tried to separate them but fights still happen, otherwise the dogs get on very very well. One dog is 6 and the other is 8months it is the pup that causes the problems.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Wild dogs and wolves have distinct signals for "get away from my food. This is my bit, and you'd better keep your distance" They flatten their ears, and bare their fangs, usually with a low growl, a sideways glance, and the tongue sticking through the teeth.
In wild packs, this is nearly always enough. The one who has come too close backs off. Rarely fights break out, but they will if the other, or others refuse to get the message.It is a language, the others understand. Most often, one set-to is enough for another dog/wolf who has refused to heed the warnings -always given first -to learn what not to do.
Now your pup either does not listen to this message, or refuses to acknowledge it.  I am sure your female would give this message? Does she? What does he do then? Steam in nevertheless?
What exactly happens when the aggression breaks out? Can you remember every single detail?
The older lab is trying to teach the 6 month ... but he obviously is getting 'it.' You are obviously going to have to separate them entirely when it comes to mealtime - at least while you teach them. They should still be able to see one another, but not able to actually come into physical contact. Even if you could put up a gate to separate them, it could work. You can still feed them at the same time, the older dog should always get his meal first, then the pup. They should be able to see one another, even smell the others food - but unable to make physical contact while you desensitize the younger dog. Slowly, over time, bring them closer and closer together and don't allow yourself to get stressed over the process. Believe me, they can sense your tension if you get worked up over their behavior. Watch the pups body language and eye contact. There is never a dog fight that doesn't begin with those! Get familiar with the body language and you will be able to stop a fight before one begins. Use as little spoken language as necessary. Outside of certain basic commands such as, "NO!" ,etc. dogs don't know (or care)  what we are saying anyway. The best referral I could give you is to buy a book by the Dog Whisperer: Caesar Milan. He can help you speak a dogs language, which are physical touches, rather than a lot of yelling,screaming,etc. that the dogs don't care about anyway. Just remember to stay calm and be in control ... dogs always respect the alpha dog! Pup will challenge you but it just takes consistency with time and you will win the battle! Take care...
Ok... Iv seen this manytimes b4 considering the fact that i have 4 dogs myself... If their both males this could be territorial, see male dogs fight for domanance food privaleges and mates... So its suggested that you feed them in seperate rooms but if their in a cage then you sould tie one outaide the cafe while they eat... If your bot carefull you will wnd up with a vet bill for dogs can and will kill each other over food so please take caution an exta measures when it comes to you an your dogs saftey
I hope this helps you