This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

help

Hello,,I have a 10yr old male Doberman,,up until 2 months ago,he was perfectly fine,I month later his front leg started to swell,,i brought him to our local vet,,After  a xray  and a examination the vet came back and said it was cancer,She prescribed pain killer &anti inflammatory ,With no luck My dog got worse ,not walking very well and now not eating ,or going to the bath room,Except for roast beef,  he can eat that all day,brought him to another vet for second opinion last week,,said when the quality of life is not good ,,time to euthanize ,,I cant stop crying,dont want to leave his side,,has anybody tried anything else except what the vet has prescribed...
Tags: help, Pain, Cancer, Dogs, Eating, walking, legs
I haven't any advice to give you, other than try not to let your dog see you upset, it will  only make him worse.  I'm sorry for what your going through, it is so hard.
Oh, I'm so sorry to read this.  The Vet never mentioned the option of amputation and/or Chemo or any treatments?  
There are a couple of canine cancer groups at Yahoo.  Do a search and register for those.  Lots of people have a tone of information.  
I have a Greyhound here that has Lymphoma so I was researching some info.  However, I made the decision to do palliative care only.  
Here is the link, perhaps you can get some help and support there.
CanineCancer-***@****
Thank you for your suggestions so far,I try to be very positive and happy in front of Raven my dog,neither vet mentioned Chemo ,  About amputation One vet told me he was to big 130lbs,and at the age of 10 he would not recomend it,Thank you for the link going to try it now,You never realize how short there life is,
Hi Nicky...
What kind of cancer is it? And would this be cured by (possible) amputation? Has he had bloodwork done....so do you/the vet know if the cancer has yet spread, or whether it is still localized to the leg?

I am not an unnecessary risk-taker. But if, when weighing up the options for and against surgery, I might decide to have a go -if it were possible- to rid him of this cancer, and opt for the surgery.
Of course I am not you, and I do not know the state of your dog's general fitness. If that is not bad, and his organs are functioning ok, then the risks of surgery are lessened. Yes, even at 10 years old.
Although I know aging is different for different breeds of dogs, as some dogs are "old" at 10, and some breeds merely "middle-aged", my dog had a major surgery for pyometra last year, age 13. The vet gave me grave warnings.....her age.....stress on her kidneys....then did a blood count and found she passed that very well. Yet he still gave me a 50/50 odds of her survival based solely on her age.
Well, she sailed through it. Yes I believe it took her a little longer to fully recover than it would have -say- when she was 4.....but she did remarkably well. The vet was impressed and said he expected more complications (due to her age) I told him she was a basically fit active healthy dog. He had to admit after watching her recovery that she "was in excellent condition generally"

Now....can the same be said for your dog, do you think....hand on heart?
If so, then the surgery might be the best thing. If, of course, the cancer would be eliminated by surgery. If not, then forget it.
Yes it would be hard on him. But unless he has joint problems or arthritis in his other legs, I think you might find he would slowly learn to be a three-legged dog.

To add to this, I know of a farmer near where I live whose dog (a border collie) was hit by a car -age 10. He was rushed to the vet, and the vet suggested euthanasia immediately (based on his age!) The owner enquired if there were ANY possible other options, and the vet said amputation of the front leg, but added it would cause so much strain on the dog, and didn't think it would work.
Well, the dog had his leg amputated. And within a few weeks, was back to being a working farm dog again! Yes he had a "funny walk" but it was worth it.
Hello,,
Very positive, Thats a good thing,I am trying to be,Its Bone cancer,They have not done any blood work just the xray and examinations,by 2 different vet  doctors, Raven my dog is or up untill a few weeks ago was in very good condition,Now not sure,stopped eating,not  going to the bathroom,Thinking about taking him off the meds,think there making him worse,Been reading alot about natural treatments,,high doses of vitamins,etc,going to get him some laxatives tomorrow for him not going to the bathroom,,and purchase liquid vitamins,
It could possibly be the pain he is feeling from his leg which is affecting both his appetite and his"going to the bathroom". There is nothing like pain to stop a dog eating. Also the painkillers, if he has any, can have a constipating effect.
Definitely try, any way that sounds good, to get some nutrition down him, to keep his strength up.
Today I lost my best pal,,My 10yr old Doberman,to Cancer,My trusty companion,..I miss him so much,,
I'm so sorry for your loss.  I have a dog here that has Lymphoma and we will be crossing that bridge in the near future.  
Hate cancer!!!!!!!  
It is so hard to loose our beloved companions.  You need to grieve but how lucky he was to have you in his life.
Prayers go out to you.