Dogs Community
herbal supplements

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

herbal supplements

Our Jack Russell, Flash, is in chemo for lymphoma.  Vet gave Denamarin to help support liver (which is now normal) and we give him K-9 Immunity (along with colostrum) to support immune system.  He seems to be doing very well wi no visible signs of cancer.  the two herbal supplements are very pricey - may we give him human versions of the ingredients as long as we match the amount to what is on the canine versions?
Herbs are my passion, and I use herbal medicine for myself almost without exception, whenever needed. I have studied (Western traditional) Herbal Medicine for many years
But before you think "Great, she'll know what she's talking about", I don't know all the ins and outs of using herbal medicine for dogs, and am still learning many things.

Some herbs are just fine. But some that would be safe for humans, are not so for dogs.

OK...some really big words coming up so don't get dizzy on me.....(it makes me dizzy to even type these words)
Denamarin contains a compound: 1)Stablized S-Adenosylmethionine, and 2)Silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex (Phew!)
The first one 1) is normally formed in the body, and a deficiency can affect liver function, so taking that will help the liver in his case.
The second one, 2) contains a word I am very familiar with, that is 'silybin', because that is the active chemical 'ingredient' in the herb MILK THISTLE.

Milk Thistle on its own is perfectly safe for dogs, as far as I know. The usual dose would be the same as the dose for a child (about half adult dose) But as Denamarin also contains these other substances, I would stick with that. You are getting a full compound supplement here, which sounds as if it's doing a good job for him.

ECHINACEA, (immune support) I believe is fine for dogs to take....but PLEASE do not only take my word for it, and research this yourself, or get help from a Herbal Vet.

CLEAVERS is a brilliant under-estimated herb. It is (I know this for a fact) perfectly safe for dogs. This can also be eaten as a vegetable. It is a tonic for the Lymphatic system, and also, mysteriously, has a reputation for helping to protect against cancer. It is a specific for the Lymphatic system.

I have an idea. Why don't you post on the "Ask a Vet" forum. I think it is Dr Cheng(?) who is also a specialist in herbal medicine, and I'm sure she would be able to advise you more completely.