Dogs Community
hernia in pup

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

hernia in pup

i m going to be adopting a pup with a hernia from being born c-section.  she has a lump on her hind leg.  i was told it will go away in 6 months or less.  anyone know anything about this?  thanks...maria
I sure don't understand how a hernia would develop as a result of a c-section.  It sounds more like the pup was nicked with an instrument during the surgery or roughly handled as he was pulled out of the uterus.  It would be worth spending a bit of money to have your own vet evaluate the injury before you go thtrough with the adoption so you know what procedures may be in store for you both.
thanks for your help...i picked up the pup and was told all the pups( litter of 8 ) had hernias.  the male dogs went away but 2 females still had the hernia.  i m going to take her to my vet to find out about it..thanks...maria
I'm with Jaybay in that I don't understand how being born via C-section would contribute to not just one, but a whole litter of puppies being born with hernias?   And from the way you describe them, they are inguinal hernias, which are not all that common.  Most hernias in puppies are umbilical hernias that appear as a little bubble where the umbililcal cord was attached, and they are caused at birth by the mother chewing the cord off too vigorously and too short.  The chewing and pulling on the umbilical cord causes a tear in the wall and the hernia is formed.  

In most cases of umbilical hernias, unless they are so large that they are a threat to the dog's health in the way of the intestines slipping through them, they are left alone.  Some heal over or at least get smaller on their own, some don't.  In female dogs, many times the owner opts to have the hernia repaired when the dog is spayed.  In males they just kind of leave them alone.

Inguinal hernias in the groin happen less frequently, hence my skepticism that you are getting the whole story on what happened with this litter.  The odds on an entire litter of puppies being born C-section with inguinal hernias are astronomical.  I definitely smell something odd here, and my best advice to you is to ask MANY questions and try to get to the bottom of it before agreeing to take one of these puppies.  You might be getting into a lot more than you bargained for vet-bill-wise if you don't.  

If your gut tells you that the story you're getting from this person sounds hinky, chances are that's because it IS hinky.  Go with your gut if it tells you to avoid the situation.  There are MANY puppies who need homes.  We want to save them all, but you can't put yourself in the poorhouse with medical bills either.  Owning a dog is supposed to be FUN!  Keep that in mind and don't let them tell you that ANYTHING about this situation is routine, because I have never heard of anything like this.

Ghilly