hind leg pain
I have a five year old pitbull.  She is very active.  In the last two night however, she keeps moving very slowly.  She is reluctant to jump on the bed, and is very slow going up or down stairs.  She has also yelped twice when touched by her hind legs, and once while jumping up onto the bed.  And then afterwards she shakes uncontrollably.  But during the day she is fine and has no problems going on walks, runs down the stairs and about the house.  So, I'm confused about taking her to the vet during the day, because she won't have any signs of what is going on and don't really have the money right now.  Wondering if anyone has an idea of what it might be, and if I need xrays and the such done.  
If this happens every night, it does mean she is feeling some real pain. Shaking and yelping mean the pain is BAD. It's strange she is fine during the day. The only thing I can think of is she is more tired at night, and also moving differently....in a more confined area/more slowly/etc. Also sometimes, problems can show up  worse after a period of rest after exercise, when the dog gets up off its bed, etc.

There could be anything going on here. It could be a simple muscle or tendon sprain, or it could be a torn ligament, or tendon in the stifle (knee) -or arthritis -or spinal injury. You cannot tell. But she is showing distinct signs of pain, and I would take that seriously. Pitbulls have a VERY stoic nature when it comes to pain, moreso than many other dogs. So her symptoms mean she is really feeling it.

She needs to go to the vet. No other way around it.