how long will a mixed pit bull live....
I have Bo, who is a pit bull great dane mix. We have had him for 8 years, he is my 4th child. He has slowed down a bit, lost some weight. at one time he weighted over 100 pounds but now is around 80 or 85 pound. I've been told by several people pit bull mixes only live to 8 years old...is that true?
Pit bulls have, to the best of my knowledge, the same life expectancy of any other medium to large dog, which is about 10 years.  Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, some live a lot longer, others die at a younger age.  It depends on the individual and on the bloodline.

You said that he's a pit bull great dane mix.  Danes (as with all of the giant breeds) have a life exectancy of about eight years.  But again, it all depends on the individual and with the pit bull mixed in, a 100 pound dog is not considered to be a giant breed, so the strain on the heart would not be what it would be in a 180 pound purebred great dane.

If you are concerned with your dog's health, the best thing to do would be to make an appointment with the vet and have a check up done, complete with bloodwork.  This will tell you whether or not his internal organs are all functioning at peak performance, or whether there is a problem causing him to slow down and/or lose weight, or if it is just a natural part of the aging process.

Ghilly