Dogs Community
how to disinfect the yard after parvo puppy recovers

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

what can i put on my yard to kill the parvo germ and when can i allow my puppy back in the yard also will it harm my grandchildren
I hope some of our other members will see your question, because I really don't know about yard disinfection for parvo.  I know it's not easy to disinfect the inside of your home either since parvo can live quite a while.    

For bacterial and control outside, you can try treating with a product called Consan Triple Action 20 (20-20-20 on the label).  It's available at most garden supply stores for use outside as well as inside.  It is just as effective as bleach but without the toxic fumes.  Just spray according to the label directions.  It will not harm any grass or plants and if you have fungus problems in your yard, it will help there too.  :-)

When so many people flooded down here after Tropical Storm Allison and more recently, hurricane Ike, Consan was a real lifesaver.  People were bleaching so much inside their flooded homes trying to stop mold formation that they got sick from the bleach fumes.  Consan is much safer, and more effective than bleach for large-scale indoor use.  I know some hospitals even use it.
thank you so much for your help i will give it a try my puppy is only 7wks old and i am new to this site have a great day.
Your vet should be able to give you advice about this, too.  Be sure to keep all the puppy's shots up to date, and that will be a great help against preventing these types of illnesses.

There is another product put out by Pfizer Animal Planet called Roccal-D that comes in a concentrated form that is excellent for disinfecting areas that have been exoooised to parvo.  

Kills 23 types of bacteria, 3 different types of fungi, and 8 different types of viruses, one of which is canine parvovirus.  Iti smells really nice and it doesn't leave your house or surrounding yard smelling medicinal.  You can buy it in one gallon or five gallon jugs and you use only 1/2 a fluid ounce per gallon of water to reconstitute the stuff and it is supposed to be safe to use on tile, painted wood, glass, metals, linoleum flooring and concrete.

If your puppy has parvo now, when he recovers he is going to have one rompin' stompin' natural immunity to the disease that he acquired from his own body being able to beat it, so while it is a good idea to disinfect your yard to make it safe for other animals who may not be protected against it.  I wouldn't worry so much about your puppy becoming reinfected because, as I said, he will have built up a strong immunity to the disease, however his immune system will be compromised from having put everything it had into beating the parvo, so it will still be a good idea to do your yard and house with some sort of disinfectant so that your puppy doesn't pick up some other sort of bug from having a lowered resistance to disease.  

Ghilly
We used Bleach with a mixture of water and sprayed the backyard and front yard.  This is some thing that we do about every 2 weeks.  Not only did our Vet tell us this but also the breeder.
Does the bleach harm any of your plants outside?  How much do you dilute the bleach?  I've invested so much time into my landscape over the years that I'd hate to destroy everything in one sweep of a spray nozzle.  LOL!
The Bleach does not harm the plants.  We have a bottle that attaches to the hose.  We fill the bottle with the bleach and then the water mixes with the bleach and we spray the yard.
The Roccal-D won't harm plants either, Jaybay.  :)

Ghilly
I've just thought of something, could you advise me? My dog had Parvo virus some years ago, before she came to me. She nearly died, but got good care in time, and pulled through. She is a strong dog. Now when I take her for her shots, she gets the Parvo shot as well as the others (in a combination single dose) Of course, she will have a good natural immunity to Parvo. Will receiving the shots, do you think, do her any harm? Or ought I ask the vet about this (Never occurred to me before reading your post)
I bough a puppy for 5 days and got very ill and started vomiting and having the runs,took her to the vet and she had positive test of parvo we paid almost 300 dollars to fight parvo, but unfortunatly she died the breeder will replace her with another one and he has put all the litter on atiboitics, do i insolate her until she has all 4 parvo shots? how do i clean suede type couches or i dont let her get on it until her 4 shots?
You should not bring another puppy into your house for a year.  It is nearly impossible to rid the house of all traces of parvo and your yard is she went outside would be infected.  Also, the crate or if she rode directly on the car seat will be infected.  
You can definatley use bleach outdoors like she said as long as it is diluted it works really well.I had a Peke that had Parvo several years ago and  my vet told me to use bleach as well.Just dont over do it  Parvo can stay in the soil for several years.