Dogs Community
how to save my 14 year old dog?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

how to save my 14 year old dog?

I have a 14 year old dog. Last week we found out he had a tooth abscess. We put him under antibiotic. After a few days the infection ( little mass under his eye) disappeared. He seemed to be doing a whole lot better (he stopped crying at night and was more reactive) I was also planing to find a vet to take off his tooth.
Hello. I must ask you ... the antibiotics you have given ... are they intended for humans or dogs? Some antibiotics can be used on dogs, such as Ampicillin and other penicillin-based antibiotics (which are good for tooth abscesses). However, there are two things you should understand. Firstly, dogs can have some considerable side-effects, including diarrhea, because the drug changes the bacteria population in the gut. Also, it is imperative that a full correct dose course of the antibiotic is given, usually at least three times daily over 5 to 7 days or longer in more serious conditions, even if the abscess seems to disappear early during the course.

My concern here is that this of course may not be an abscess at all and is perhaps something more serious - or that the abscess is merely a secondary symptom of an underlying cause, which will still need treating. I agree entirely with a poster above who says at least give your nearest vet a telephone call and obtain their opinion and guidance. But, if you possibly can, get your dog to see a vet as this may be the only way of truly helping him.

Please come back to the forum and let us know how things go. Tony.
sorry, half of my message disappeared. I was saying : But this morning since we woke up, he refuses to eat, drink or move. His breathing seems slow and he just looks so sad.

Do you think the antibiotic gave him stomach pain? is my dog dying? what do I do to make him better?
Vets are so far off, I can't move him  please help me
I would at least call the vet to get his/her opinion. Maybe you can do another round of antibiotics. It is possible they have upset his stomach. Have you tried boiling some chicken and rice? That may entice him to eat and then he would at least be getting some nutrition/fluid.
Has the dog seen the Vet or not?  Are you trying to treat this yourself?  The dog may need up to 2 weeks of the right antibiotic.  Tooth infections can cause other health issues, one being Herat problems.  I think you best contact the Vet and the tooth or more, may have to extracted.  That infection needs to be cleared up.

Sorry, I meant to add, the antibiotic you have given could be making them feel sickly, and consequently stopping them from eating properly. Leaving a dog not eating for 24hrs is fine and may actually help his stomach and intestine tract calm down. But any longer than this needs a vet's intervention as it suggests there is a deeper problem occurring - and the lack of food will slowly drain the dog of all energy, and prevent him from healing himself, as it were. More importantly, he will become dangerously dehydrated if he doesn't intake fluids. If he won;t drink water, try him with a little watered down milk. If that doesn't work, try offering him one or two cheesy flavored potato chips (crisps), as these will encourage him to drink water. Good luck. Tony
Hey guys,

thank you sooo much for your help.
So I contacted a vet and will be taking my dog to see him this afternoon. He's far from home and I really wonder how my dog will behave in the car, but I can't wait any longer.

I hope it's not tooo serious and that he'll be okay. I'll keep you posted.
thanks again :)
hello again,
So I'm back from the vet. Quite an experience! The poor dog was terrified in the car.

The vet found out he has a severe pulmonary infection. He doesn't know what caused it exactly but I have to go see him again in 3 days.
He also has high fever (40 degrees C).
He checked his teeth and said that the antibiotic worked well and that the tooth can wait until he's better to take it off. It's not as urgent as his lungs.

I'm sooo worried. I never suspected a pulmonary infection! :( poor doggy :( he injected an antibiotic and anti inflammatory, then I'll go see him in 3 days time.
Hi. It's great you got  the vet with him. Just goes to show, sometimes it really does need a vet to diagnose what's going on and it's rarely worth leaving it to chance. Pulmonary infections are usually caused by your own dog mixing with another (infected) dog. Many pulmonary infections are highly contagious. It may be worth speaking to your vet about ensuring your dog is vaccinated against the worst infections and more importantly, kennel cough, just to be safe for the future.

Early treatment often has a good prognosis, so let's hope your best friend feels better real soon. Unfortunately, delayed treatment can also give rise to secondary infections, because the pathogens begin to build up again (they can hide almost anywhere in the dog's body and evade being destroyed by treatment). It will certainly be worth checking back in with your vet in about 3 to 6 months time so bloodwork can be done.

As for the car journey and your dog getting frightened ... this is not uncommon. The very best way to get your dog used to the car is to let him go into it while it is stationery, repeat this several times until he seems calm. Then up the anti by starting up the engine while your dog is in the car, again repeat several times until your dog seems calm and happy with it. Next take very small trips of no more than a few minutes, and again, repeat this process until your dog is calm. As time goes on, you can make the trips longer, going up in small degrees - and eventually he will not only be happy going on car journeys, but probably see it as a real treat, as do many dogs. The process above is called desensitizing and works in just about every car-hating-dog situation. All you need is a bit of patience, so the process can complete quite slowly ... but it's certainly worth the effort.

Let us know how he is after the 3 days have passed. Tony
Thank you for your kind reply Tony. It means a lot.

This afternoon, after the injections he drank a little and ate a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinyyyyy portion of meat. now he's resting. Small victories are still victories.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how things evolve. :)
That's fabulous news. Like you say, small steps in the right direction are all that are needed. It's great to get some nice news before retiring for the evening (it's 10pm in the UK). Good news is often hard to come by on MedHelp Forums. At 14, your boy is quite an old man in doggy years, so I was getting a bit fearful of the outcome ... but your posting has put a smile on my face. Do keep us informed how things go. Tony
sorry to bother you again.
I contacted my vet today to give him the latest news. So my dog is a little better, started eating though a tiny bit and drinks a little he also moves around but has to sit down each time. He also stopped panting and his breathing looks easier.

He thought this was good progress and decided to give his an antibiotic (augmentin 500mg) for a week. I'm sure this is all positive... except I can't think positively right now. He reaaaalllyy doesn't eat much, not even his favourite food. He doesn't look enthusiastic when I give him his favourite biscuit, and sleeps most of the time.

Should I just give time to time and stop worrying? I keep thinking he's 14 and went through a tough week :(
is it normal that he looks all saaad and sleeps all day?

Sorryy again. You guys are amazing. Thank you.
Sleep and rest is good. This will provide him with much needed energy to deal with his health issues. Hopefully the antibiotics will gradually get the infection under control and he will soon perk up. Like most older dogs (and older humans), the auto-immune system is impaired and a little slow to get on top of new infections, but dogs often rally after a few days, often with help from medication. Just keep an eye on him, keep him comfortable and warm, and if thing haven't improved substantially after three or four days, let the vet know.

If he's eating only a little bit, the best thing to do is feed smaller amounts than normal, but do it more often, say every three hours. Even if he only takes a couple of mouthfuls of cooked chicken, it will be enough to get him through this period. Just as important is to keep him hydrated, so offer fresh water at the same time as he is offered food. If he fails to drink (some dogs are notoriously difficult in this regard), try a little milk watered down or even a little milky tea or coffee, which many dogs will happily drink. The other way to do this is to offer him something like wheatabix in water once a day.

Don't worry about him not looking enthusiastic about things at the moment ... like all of us when feeling ill, he will be feeling tired and down in the dumps, but this should only be for a short time. Lots of love and reassurance are amazing medicines.

Keep us informed how things are going. You have done a great job so far - just keep doing what you're doing. Cyber hugs to you and your best friend. Tony x