Dogs Community
i have two three week old puppies with lumps on their neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

my dog had puppies three weeks ago and now i have noticed that two of the puppies have large knots on the right side for their necks what is it and what can i do for them?
These puppies need to go to the vet.  I am suspecting puppy strangles.  It can't be an injury with two of them having the knots.  If it was only one puppy I would suspect a possible abcess (abscess), maybe due to an insect bite or being scratched by its mother's claw or something, but with two of them having it, puppy strangles is the only thing I can come up with.

Puppy strangles is also known by several other names.  It is also called juvenile pyoderma, juvenile cellulitis, and puppy head gland disease.  There is no vomiting or diarrhea associated with this disease and most of the time their appetites remain unchanged.  As the disease progresses, however, the puppies will develop pustules on their nose, lips and eyelids and they can also develop otitis externa, or ear infections.  The submandibular lymph nodes and prescapular lymph nodes become inlarged.  The lumps you see are, if I am correct and this is puppy strangles, the enlarged lymph nodes.

The disease responds very well to corticosteroids.  This suggests that it is caused by an immune system disfunction.  It usually appears after the puppies have had their first shots, however it is not unusual for it to appear in puppies in the 3 to 5 week age group.  You really do need to get these puppies to the vet, however, because once the pustules start, if you do not treat the disease aggressively, the pustules can cause severe scarring of the facial features.  

The disease is sometimes misdiagnosed as staphococcal pyoderma.  To be absolutely certain that it is juvenile pyoderma and not staphococcal pyoderma that you are dealing with, cytologic and histopathologic evaluations are required.  As I said, you want to be extremely careful that this is treated correctly so that no scarring is left, or at least minimal scarring.

Please keep us up to date on the condition of your puppies.

Ghilly
Thank you very much for you help. I looked it up yesterday and I wasnt sure if that was it or not. Is it contagious? I have two small children and do you think i need to remove the puppies away from the other ones for the time being?
No, it is not contagious.  If any of the other puppies end up with it, they won't have gotten it from the two that have it now, they will have gotten it for the same reason the first two got it - a very weak immune system.  You don't have to worry about your children either, but for obvious reasons it's best to thoroughly wash your hands after handling the puppies.  This is recommended when dealing with healthy puppies as well, though.  

Ghilly
One of my puppies have a hard lump/bump on its neck also. Our puppy is 1 week old. Is this something serious? I will be taking them to the vet ASAP.