Dogs Community
infection on dog ears

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

infection on dog ears

My lab has an infection on the tip of his ear, and antibotics are not helping.
Any other suggestions.

Thank you
P.S. What do the ear tips look like? Please describe....Karla
Hi Joey & welcome....What kind of antibiotics are you using (Oral or topical) & for how long? Has your dog seen a Vet for this?

How old is your lab and how long has he had the problem?

What else (If anything) have you tried? More information would be helpful.....Let me know.....Thanks, Karla
Joey is on cephalexin too mg. and using mujpirocin ointment.  He has had this on and off again for several months.  It is has a large scab and on the other part of the ear it almost looks like something bit him.
Joey....My first thought is Mange....It's very common on the ear tips...It will present as redness, but usually with crusting & Dryness....Normal place for it to start is ear tips & nose area....Give that some thought...It will come and go, but usually get worse without treatment....How old is your dog?

Did your Dr. do a skin scraping of these ear tips? If they were just infected, it would have resolved by now....Your choices of medications are perfect!

I'm also leaning towards Black Fly Bites! They attack ear tips specifically....You should google "Canine or Dog Ear Fly Bites"....They present as scabs and bites.....I know you can buy sprays to deter the flys...I've seen them in the Horse product section at feed or pet stores.....

However, You don't want to use the sprays on open wounds! Petroleum jelly can be applied to the tips to form a barrier....If this is an outside dog, you must bring it in somewhere till you get his ears healed....The flys lay eggs that can turn into Maggots quickly....The maggots must be removed for healing...A Vet should do this!

The more flys that bite, the more eggs are laid in the open wounds.....Thus, a likely chance of Maggots actually eating the ear....And they will....The tips can be completely eaten away.....This is an extremely PAINFUL condition that sometime requires pain management till healing occurs.....

If you haven't seen a Vet, you really need to so that he/she can determine with a skin scrape, if it's Mange, Yeast, or Bacteria......They will also be able to tell if it's Flys....

Let me know what you think......Karla

Thank you for all of your comments/suggestions.  I am taking Joey back to the vet this week.  It looks somewhat better today, but still has a large scab on his ear.
thanks again
Joey, I've had another thought....Are these spots oozing any liquid from them?  Could they be Hot Spots? Just another idea.......Karla