DOGS
COMMUNITY
is my siberian husky pregnant?
by nevaeh129, Jun 16, 2009
ON JUNE 6TH - 10TH I MATED MY DOG,.  I LEFT HER THERE FOR 4 DAYS.. THE BREEDER IS NOT SURE IF THEY CONNECTED OR NOT ( AS FOR SHE WASNT HOME SOMETIMES ) SINCE MY DOG HAS BEEN HOME SHE HAS BEEN SLEEPING ALL THE TIME & NOT EATIN THAT MUCH.PLUS SHE DOESNT WANT TO PLAY LIKE SHE USE TO.. IS THIS A SIGN THAT SHE IS PREGNANT? IM WORRIED BECAUSE IF  ITS NOT A SIGN.. THEN SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH HER...
PLEASE GET BACK TO ME
THANK YOU
JO JO
Member Comments (5)
by GhillyBlank, Jun 17, 2009
It's WAY too early to tell if she's pregnant or not, and if she is, it shouldn't affect her to the point where she's sleeping all the time.  If she's acting abnormally, then take her to the vet and have her evaluated just to be on the safe side.  Sometimes when dogs have been out of their home environment for a while, and away from their humans, they get really stressed, and the sleeping could just be a sign that she is exhausted from being stressed while away from you. But her appetite shouldn't be affected, so again, if it were me, I'd make an appointment with the vet just to be safe.  

Just for the record, the vet's not going to be able to tell whether or not she's pregnant yet either, it's just far too early, but at least he'll be able to tell whether or not she's ill.

Ghilly
by ginger899Blank, Jun 17, 2009
That time away from home could have made her very very tired. She may not have slept properly for all you know. Dogs are very routine-oriented. They feel a break of routine quite strongly. However it shouldn't necessarily have affected her appetite.
How is she otherwise? Is she limping? Does she pee and do business ok? Sometimes, mating can cause a urinary infection. But the signs of that are usually obvious (she may ask to go pee all the time, then be able to do nothing...or may pee indoors by accident. The urine could have a very strong smell...) Mating can also be very vigorous, and put strain on her back and legs. Occasionally a female may end up on her back on the ground when she and the male are 'locked' together. If this did happen, she may be feeling a bit strained.
As Ghilly said, these symptoms are not classic of pregnancy.
by nevaeh129, Jun 18, 2009
thanks for your replys.. i did make a vet appt for her already.. she is do for her annual shots.. but because im not sure if she is pregnant or not she cant have them.. so we willhave to wait & see.. if she is pregnant the pups will be due  in aug. ill keep you updated..
thanks again
jo
by nevaeh129, Jun 18, 2009
p.s she started eating again...forgot to mention that..
by ginger899Blank, Jun 18, 2009
Well it's good that she's eating again.
Any kind of pain or discomfort can cause a loss of appetite. That's what made me wonder if her exertions (!) may have caused some kind of muscle strain.
Of course it might not be that, so ask the vet.

It could be like we all thought...that she was just a little upset at the break from you, and the change of routine. Hopefully, that's all it is.