kidney failure going down fast
how long can a yellow lab live without water and food with this condition? My dear Tracy have been not eating or drinking for two weeks! after week and half sick and due to not having money we took her to the vet and was then diagnosed with kidney failure; vet says kidneys are shot down. I am still waiting on some more money do what is right but wonder what is that? i am desperated watching her like this. Cant stop crying out of plain guilt since I have not being as best as i should have and now in front of her inminent lose, i cant even bear thinking of it !
Any help please; knowing what it have to be done is not good enough; she is still alive right now and in her looks she is scare to go; i think she knows what is going on; it is tearing me appart.
Thank you Connie for your kind words and your support. My name is Rody. we live in Las Vegas; we moved here in 2006 from Florida. tracy was born there so was my first daughter. Here in Vegas after many sacrifices i manage to finally provide a house for my family; with nice back yard and space for the kids and for Tracy; i regret she only enyoyed it for only a little under 4 years. As I was walking through the pet cemetery grounds here; i read several inscriptions and engraves in many of the tombstones some of them made me cry like a child as they so much reflects whats in my heart. I decided to take off work at least for this week, money aside which we need it more than anything now, it also played a role in this tale; we did not had enough for me to take Tracy right away when she started not touching her food or drinking water with the vomits; i was completely ignorant of the grave danger she was in and my wife was thinking maybe she got a virus or food poison. only 3 weeks later and after only 3 days of diagnosed with KF my baby girl is sitting cold in a freezer and i know in my heart she could be here, she would prefer that even when she was suffering and i would have done anything to comply with her wishes; i tell you i saw in her eyes and she did not wanted to die but i kept pushing it because would be the right thing and everyone says so, because my wife wanted to go home and did not have time to be 'back and forth" with the situation; i went with my head and not with my heart and it hurts like hell but nobody understand because it was my decision. I have fallen into depression i know my body and i can feel it. Had disagreement with my wife because my decision to take off work which they could fire me, and we would be in a lot of trouble if that happens but I spoke with my doctor here and after describing whats going on he recommended rest for the rest of the week; i have a cremation still to go through and i am suppose to shake all off and paint a smile and act like is not happening? If that is the way we humans deal with these situations i am proud to be an alien because i cant, but i cant even discuss it with my own family on top of everything. the whole ordeal ***** and i am trying to live minute by minute and hour by hour with no rush on myself but that too would be wrong apparently.I cant look at parts of the house without feeling a rush in my heart that brings me to sudden tears, for some minutes and i cant, nor I want to take away anything that makes me remember Tracy I just need time to heal like all of us in situations like this and close support which unfortunately for whatever reasons i do not have.
This forum and all of you here is a real blessing for you all are my support when i find confort in typing what if otherwise tell to the people around me here will raise concerns and create unpleasure situations.
I will keep posting until I get better, thanks again for all the support; i would like to think that Tracy would thank you guys too from where she is if she could.
Thank you for the forensic explanation on how it works; the vet did explained the proccess and i have all on video, except for the actual procedure where the camera just shut down on its own; it was so horrible, so terrible my experience that i think the lord watched over me and did not allowed the recording to finish; I had that final recording rolling for 29 minutes; in the next 3 or 4 minutes my Tracy had already passed; even with these facts and even after your exellent explanation and that from the vet, even after all that, I still cant come to closure, not for the now. I will keep posting my own progress here and will use the forum as a tool to fight my despair; at least nobody cant say i am not trying to level up; but it would take time. Not an hour pass that i do not ask forgiveness and regret her gone in this way. i will pray for all of our healing and for those who approach this procedure not to fall into what i am feeling; not a pretty picture not to be entirely convinced. forgive me if i still sound too stuborn. No intentions on that course.
Grief takes time to work its way through. And we are all different. Some of us are still grieving about our beloved pets from years ago. The special bond between humans and dogs should not be underestimated. It runs very deep. Tracy wouldn't want you to feel this way, although I know there is nothing you can do about it right now. In time, you will feel better - and you will then be able to remember the wonderful life Tracy shared with you and find comfort in your memories of her. Feel free to keep posting here as often and as much as you want or need to. Big hugs from the UK, Tony
Thank you Tony:
Big part of  the problem is my wife doesnt feel the dog is a part of the family; not completely; so she does not understand why the fuzz about it; her words of confort are "shes already gone and she is resting in peace, move on, life goes on" even when it is the absolute true, i feel i want to yell out is not that easy and fast ok? same for some of my coworkers; they are asking are you in today whats going on, we got calls comming in and such..nobody ever says anything that hints an understanding or an attempt to do it. One of my coworkers came by my house yesterday morning to pick up parts to continue doing some of my jobs; he saw my distress and he agreed with me as he lost a lab 6 years ago and remembers the ordeal him and his then 10 years old daughter went through; he understood i have to take some time off and that it is not safe to drive around or interact with costumers, when your memory flash saw episodes that makes you just pour tears with not advise and control; I hope and better to get a grip this week but i still have her funeral service and just to think about it turns my stomach with lot and lot of regrets and guilt. waking up i get sick and nauseous in the morning, today and yesterday was like that and today i woke up with a very bad headache; i know depression is sitting in, i can understand its symptoms. It is unfortunate for me that people around me cant, I need all the support that I can get to beat this state of mind but I also understand Tracy was special to me and not nescesary had to be special to my wife or kids; to them she was the family pet but first she was 'daddy's" pet that is how I justify their life going around normally and I am glad for them. I am having hard time shaking off my grieving mood and be normal again.
Tony is right.  Everyone grieves in their own way.  You will find your own way to come to grips with what has happened.

If only our furry ones could talk, then they could tell us exactly what they are feeling instead of leaving us guessing at how it must be.  The problem with dogs and cats is that wild instinct of theirs to hide any signs of illness or pain, because in the wild, to show sickness or pain is to become the mark of a predator.  Predators prey on the weak and the sick, so animals instinctively hide all these signs, many times until it is too late to help them.

Cats are a lot worse when it comes to this than dogs are, and birds have the whole bunch beaten by a country mile.  Our pets can be amazingly stoic in the face of pain and sickness, and by the time they stop eating or show other signs of serious illness, they are past being able to save them without a miracle.  Your beautiful Tracy only stopped eating only three weeks ago.  Even if you had taken her to the vet after the very first time she missed a meal, if she had gone downhill this badly in three weeks, Rody, there is nothing you could have done that would have saved her.  The kidney disease had simply progressed too far.  

Just remember that we are all only human.  We can only do what we can do.  If love were a cure-all, none of us would ever have to say goodbye to our beloved pets, but God has other plans for them.  We just have to trust that what has happened was what was supposed to happen.  You'll see Tracy again, just as we will all someday be reunited with those we have lost.  But for now we just all have to soldier on until we do whatever it is we were put here to do.  

You are in my prayers, that you are able to find peace, and are someday able to make sense of all of this.  Until then, you are among friends here who are willing to listen and offer whatever words of comfort we can to try to help you feel better.

Godspeed sweet Tracy.  Rody, you are in my thoughts.

Ghilly
Hello Rody...I'm still thinking about you, too.....I haven't missed any of your posts,  just didn't think I could add anything that others have not already said.....

I have thought about you & Tracy since the beginning & continue to do so....

Things will get better (Although impossible to grasp at the moment), but it will happen.....In my mind, you did exactly what you needed to do......As hard as it is, it WAS the right decision.....

I'm glad you find comfort here on this forum...I tend to believe that we who have lived through this are the best prepared to help others......It seems to work.....

I wish you Peace and comfort for today......Your in my prayers.......Karla

"Rest In Peace Tracy"

"The Rainbow Bridge"

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Hi Rody...
I know first hand how hurt you feel because your wife does not seem to understand your grief. My husband was the same way. I know he loved and cared for TwoBits, as much as I did, but about a week after she died, it became apparent to me that he did not want to discuss the subject with me anymore. He even went so far as to shout at me...he said things that were hurtful to me. At that point, it was apparent to me, that he was also very hurt by what had happened, and it was painfully obvious to me, that he could not, nor did not, want to discuss it with me anymore. We no longer spoke to each other that day. The next morning I told him that what he said to me was mean and hurtful...he apologized very sincerely. I realized that It was enough for him to have to deal with his own grief, let alone having to deal with mine as well. Afterall, he felt we did the right thing to euthanise TwoBits, and I am sure it was making him uncomfortable to see me crying all the time and listen to my doubts about the whole thing.  I think my grief was just too much for him to deal with, and he didn't know how to help me. So, anyway, to make a long story somewhat short, I told him that I wouldn't bother him with it anymore. I realized that I was expecting more from him than he is able to give. I am also smart enough to know that it does absolutely no good to talk to someone about my feelings, when it is apparent that they don't understand how I feel.  I mean really, feelings aren't something that you can explain...they are something you have to feel...I guess that's why we call them feelings...!  ( See, I told you I was smart..! )

Thank goodness for all the doggie lovers here on Medhelp...!
Sometimes my Hubby and my friends think it would be best if I never looked at this forum again. They know how often the postings like yours, will make me cry.  I know they only have my best interest at heart, and I do take a break from here once in a while. But, I always come back, because I know this is the one place where people truly do understand and are willing to offer support.

I am glad my Husband has been able to overcome his grief much more quickly than I have. It does help me, and gives me strength.  We all deal with grief in our own way, as well as our own time.
I know the road ahead of you will be long...(as it was for me,)  but there is an old saying that says..."To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."  So I am here to tell you that I have traveled the road ahead, and I have climbed it's highest hill....sure, it's taken me 6 months, but I am happy to report, that I am on my way back. It has not been an easy journey, but I can tell you that the less you look back, the less you will stumble.

There are many of us here who understand your feelings, we have lived them and felt them.
Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Connie
Thanks you Connie again;  My gratitude goes also to everyone who understand what we all go through these days; My wife just came from work rather insulting me and attacking me for still be in this stance and my answer was not nice at all; so we are not talking now; she is not going on Friday to Tracy's services after she just said that"I was taking advantage of the situation to just stay home" That is because I am always critique of anyone who lose a family member and takes advantage of their beloved death to run commercials, and to 'be in the spot" so she thinks this is what I am doing; it is such an insult but no if i would shout back it would be verval abuse and would scalate to whatever where I would lose anyways because i should have control on the situation. I talked to my seven years old this afternoon again and she is understanding just fine, with more maturity and intelligence than her mom (I did not told her that)
She might be scare because she have to deal with her own mother who just got diagnosed with pervical cancer and for what the doctor say it is very advanced; she should have come way sooner. My wife is covering most of the expenses associated with treatment, but there is no excuse to mistreat anyone because of her family ordeal; that is why i am taking off work so i do not accidently put my grieve on my work or my costumers; it might not be what everyone expects or convenience but it iswhat I think is nescessary for me now given the circunstances; and some people still wonder why we love pets more ; the selfishness and the abuse we humans throw to each others; we stand no chance to come close to that love; compparing the support I have from my "significant other" to the support I had from Tracy, I would have lean to Tracy in a heartbit; Tracy used to get me out of depressions; my wife is making me even more depressed with her sneaky actions (the money she loaned I have to pay back little by little)"trying" to show she cares then acting like this; it does not hurt me because I know what she have in her heart and it is not the same that my dear Tracy had in hers; thats for sure.
Dogs give us the ideal love, friendship and compaionship. I know that. There are very few Humans I have known in my life who have given me the same love my dog gives me. Or who have gladdened my heart, and opened my Soul so much. My mission, for as long as it takes, is to honor that in the best way I can, giving back equal respect and love to the last day and beyond.
They come to us to show us how to love. I am sure of it. To have a good dog with us is to have a blessing from Heaven, to show us how to live our lives.
There is no treachery with them, no double-talk, no lack of logic.
And when they are gone it is like an Angel came and blessed us, then left us alone in the cold world. It's very hard to cope with that feeling of emptiness and abandonment.
All we can do is hold in our hearts those precious things they gifted us with, and showed us, and taught us, in the few years they spent with us. And try and live our lives the way they wanted us to.
They do indeed, show us what true love is.
Well said; I understand I desrve my wife reaction since it was my decision to bond with her without even knowing her heart very wel; like these deatils of a person we know as they present; that is why we live with someone for years and we truly dont know them; because we all change and animals are constant, unwavering. To cope with that I just get out of the house for these days right when she comes from work or stay away til after i have strenghtened enough to take with indifference her careless comments.
Yeah I shouldn't and i should have support inconditional from my wife but it is not a perfect world, if it was, Tracy would still be here and so on for all of us. I am glad she expressed like that right now; that way I know she is not fit, nor i will let her attend Tracy's funeral. the last thing i need there will be anyone being there for compromise; there is no hope for her; she plays herself as a compassionated, caring person to those who dont know her well but i have been there when the coldest and horrid actions have come out of her naturally; and this is not the first time not would be the last as we are what we are. Right before put Tracy to sleep last Sunday I was crying over her body on that gourney, still alive, and i got a "you shouldnt have a dog; it does you no good" with a laught; I did not gave much ear to that; but now is coming back. I can only imagine how much must hurt to be a kind of person like that; wanting to everything be played by what one's feel is !! those are the very people who if put into any power will make many suffer. I love it when I can spot one of those; it only takes a single action or a phrase. I am so sorry that my dear wife let herself fall into this category and i pray really hard to the Lord that she does not experience a wrenching lost while i am there; I pray the Lord the day would not come where i would have to tell back those words in her face. i would be very evil then; i would be cruel; it would be unaceptable; despicable and all the worst that anyone could image; what then, can i make of the way she is reacting now? That is nort exactly love; or respect, or even intelligence. This situation is adding up to my grieve and it is replacing my sorrow for something even worst. That is why i need to pay not attention to her and in that avoid a personal conflict that could affect our relation dearly an irrevocably; all because a dog? you bet !!
To Tracy:
I am so sorry Tracy that my wife Di, whom supposed be also your mommy and who from time to time openned the patio door for you, filled up your food and water bowls, have taking in decision that you were only a dog; You and I were perfectly ok before she came to our lives and I asked you for approval that day back in April, 2003 and i remamber you waiving your tail with exitment, like saying, "well our family will grow after all that cant be a bad thing" I followed your instints and my own and this is the same person I came to love, even when she was jealous of you at times because she claims I do not give her the same attention as I have giving you, which by the way was not enough and will never be enough. I am sorry for some of our human behaviors, including mine, of insecurity, selfishness and control; I know you always understood that is why we are humans and you are a dog; we think we are better, rational beings, but we come to shame when compared as for our "love" is plaged with all these defects and "tails" that you as a very "inferior animal" are free off. No matter what anyone important or not in my life could say about you or try to diminish our bond, stronger than time itself, i will always love you in that special way that only a pet and and its owner can experience; pure and free, as love should be. And when in short we meet again, i will make my wrongs rights staying always with you until the end of times.
Death is no true when life's deeds have been well accomplished, you have not only fulfilled your purpose in your time here with me, you have exceeded in such a way that I am now convinced you will always be the master, and i will always be the apprentice.
Thank you again Tracy and thanks the Lord for created you so perfect and for making me a very lucky human, blessing me with 10 years in your company.
this is the sort of leeter i have put together for my tracy to read in her funeral and it would be very disturbing to have anyone there thinking this is too ridicoulous. From now till the, i migt modify it if merit but even if my wife would assist, i would like to read this in private to Tracy as i reckon how emotional will be for me. Again after her latest statements of what sh really thinks, it is best for the sake of our relation to just stay away.
cant stands the typos; forgive me as my hands fly on the keyard and it cant keep up with it.
keyboard* Darn I swear I press the keys right !
What dogs bring us are deep life-lessons. And when they are gone I think our Souls really reach out for those lessons to see them clearly.
Sometimes, a death brings a catharsis. A moment of head-on collision with life itself. Where what truly matters is put under a magnifying glass. This, apart from the grief and loss, can cause pain. But where there is-or ever was -love, all will be well in the end, and all those things which were born out of love shall win.
Don't ever think it is ridiculous to write a euology for Tracy. I gathered my human friends and my other dogs and my friends' dogs together on a nearby beach, where my beatuful dog BB used to love to run and play. I scattered the ashes there - and said a few words - and all my friends took a handful of ashes, scattered them and said goodbye to BB. It was a very emotional day, but I felt better for having done it. It was right to have celebrated her life and mark her passing in this way and - for me - it was a mark of respect to her to say goodbye properly.

We all need closure when we lose someone we have loved so much, and whatever feels right for you is exactly what you should do, regardless of what others might say or think. Tony
I remember my Toby's funeral. We had had such lovely weather, and then the night he died the weather turned. By early morning it was lightly drizzling. I knew if I waited to bury him it would get very wet, so buried him, alone and early the next morning. I didn't want to wait, and I didn't want to call my friend and disturb his sleep.
I was too sad to cry. All I could do was dig and my heart felt in so much pain.
Yet even though I was alone, I had to do things beautifully because he had been my good dog and faithful companion for 14 years. I laid him on a bed of sweet pine branches in his grave, then covered him with a black silk cloth, just like he was merely sleeping.
I surrounded him with the things he held most dear in his world, and put the little red apple he had taken a bit of that very day, into his water-bowl. Then I gathered Nasturtium flowers, all reds and yellows, and scattered them over him, before handful by handful I scattered the earth and said goodye to him.
I made a lovely garden of his grave, with crystals and plants, twists of ivy, shells....whatever I could find. And worked that little garden every day for months and months.
That is beautiful; it sounds like in the middle of your sorrow you were having some piece of mind and closure in giving him deserved attention with so many details; I guess that helped you to move past the prison of sadness we feel in those days; for me; after all the fights with my wife over "the dog" as she mantion it, i will just expend time with Tracy's body and the good memories; i will bring my laptop and will play a slideshow of her pics and maybe videos of her before dying; I will read her the euology officially and wil film everything if i can too with my camera. for my plan of her little shrine i don't know yet how it will go until i get her ashes and see the volume of it. then i will plan and design around it, that is how i think my mind will be more at easy; I feel relieve my wife will not be there; the true is she plays herself as a lover but I have lived with her for 8 years and can tell you she is all the opposite; it most be sad for her and that is her dilema; Tracy was mine before we met and the bond was already there; so I do not feel myself disturbed for her lack of love and "hate" for the dog existance; she cleaned the house really good yesterday, like never before, like a relief the dog is not longer here and she can clean and not complaint about "hairs everywhere" well she have her breake now and on that I am happy for her, but the notch she is adding to my heart with her actions; that will not go away ever; I can forgive her because she is not, never wanted to be part of tracy; she never caressed her or have a playing time with her even Tracy was crazy about her, but i will never forget; so much hate for an animal that does nothing but bring her loyalty, shall not go unnoticed by the Lord and i pray he has mercy on her and do not make her face all that action in reverse; i pray I am not there, because if a relative of hers die and i am there; I am sure i will ask her to go out to relax in an adventure with the kids, just like she did today in a total show of disrespect and rebeldy. we went after all, but it was decided later by her she would rather stay sleeping tomorrow to which I calmly responded "that would be fine" Anyone's wonder how relationships go wrong? this is a maybe small example. i was 40 years old when i married and thanks god we have kids; if they were not here; i would be looking for my next bride in a heartbit. i changed my euology trying not to mention anything mean about my wife, since she did have some details with Tracy few times but it hurts to see it was all just because compromise. This is not her coping with the lost or a different way to grieve; she is not greiving, period and gets upsets because my grieving and wants me to just stop, so I will try and hide it in my heart. I do not need nor want her compassion or support any more she does not want to provide it.
Hi Rody..
I know it must be difficult for you, to not have your wife share your loss.
For that I am sorry.  Some people love dogs, some people hate dogs, and others will tolerate dogs. Personally, I feel sorry for the people who can't love an animal. They really do miss out on a wonderful experience.
Rody, you do not need to hide your grief . You can express it here, This is a place full of people who LOVE DOGS...and do understand why you are grieving the way you do.
Your Eulogy is a beautiful tribute to a dog who taught you how to love, and brought so much joy into your life.
Tracy will be honored.

Tracy's body is being consumed by falmes as I write this. She was put into the crematory a few minutes after 10.00 am pacific time. right now it is 12.05 pm here so i reckon the process is done and now they would be waiting for the crematory to cool down; I am schedule to pick up her ashes by 2.00 pm then we all will go; and right after we will go to take the girls for a walk in a new town center here. Tracy's ashes will come along too; not very happy about that because it should be done while she is alive but at least I will not feel guilty on just drop the ashes at home and leave her again right after returning her remains to "wait" for us. The service was brief, with a couple of recording videos on the little capilla; i said a prayer for her, read the eulogy; playet "Get Here" from Oleta Adams, which is a song all about missing, to complement how much i miss her now; did not wanted to cry as I was doing this as a way to celebrate her life; rolled up some photos on the laptop while i laughled a little remember our good times; did cry anyways but not that much so i am pleased it all went like i planned in a way; i did recorded as much as i could and for wathever reason the camera was not recording when the final moment she went into the crematory; just before that and after the door had been shut and the machine started. It is very weird I could never record her passing and her placement into crematory; I guess those would be the more wrenching moments to remember and it looks like something is looking still over me; maybe the Lord, maybe her spirit, in the passing recording the camera stopped at exactly 30 minutes of recording, just befor the vet was going to start injecting the drugs; and this time around; i was distressed crying right when she was going in, i gave her a last hugh, a kiss and whisper her "goodbye" but that is not recorded in camera, just permanently recorded in my heart and my memory, just like the passing. i record because I am afraid i could forget; i could become old and decrepit; if I don't and die young, her memories with me will always be a blessing.
I will keep the posts when we have the ashes.
All went as planned and I do have her remains with us now. I had an overwhelming feeling of tenderness when I got my hands on the plastic jar but I did not cry; I just pressed againgst my chest and kissed the lid; the showed inside the remains to my kids who asked all sort of questions and i explained the process; in doing so, I was relieved a little she is here with us. after seen the plastic jar she is in I can picture a little shrine base made of fine wood with modern cuts and slight moldings. I would place the jar inside, which will be seen through a plexiglass window. The dedicatory inscription will be engrave in wood at the base of the shrine. on both sides will be the keepsake the funeral home gave me with a rear paw print, strand of hair aand the rainbow bridge poem and in the other side same size of a picture of tracy, probably the one in my profile here or one showing her whole; will have to decided; this will take some time to complete then it will be on top of my bush furniture desktop, where i expend much of my time while at home, in my office. Thatr is the idea for now. In a thumb drive I will place a copy of all her pics and videos thus far, also inside the shrine, also the eulogy I wrote for her was thinking to place it inside the plastic jar or I could design the shrine to have three 11x8.5 pics frames so I can place eulogy in one side, Tracy's picture on "top" and keepsake in the other side with the urn showing through the window on center. With all it will probably look bigger than i imagined at first but the space is not a problem as I can even build her a pedestal to hang in the wall in the living room if nessesary. Nothing will be too big or too small for this project; i wish I could simplify but Tracy was and is more than just a simple dog, she was and is bigger than what I could ever come to terms to understand.
Good Morning Rody..
I just wanted to check in with you today, before I head to work.
I was glad to read that your ceremony went well.
I was also glad to read that your camera decided not to work during the final moments...once again.  The final moments are not something that need to be remembered, as it is her life that you need to remind yourself of, more that her death. Your idea of building her a shrine in your home is nice, and I am sure it will bring you comfort.
I have to keep this short, as I need to leave for work....I hope your day will be OK. and Tracy's memory will put a smile on your face.
Connie
Thank you Connie, and to all the forum for being there in these difficult moments; it have been a difficult week; I still linger in bed in the morning not wanting to get up, and first thing I do is to look over my side, where her bed is where I imagine i see her there looking at me with her usual "Can I go out?" I have not being able to move her bowls yet in the kitchen, but I have changed her water; i guess it is all part of the healing and acceptance process. Will live minute by minute, one at the time with no rush, and will keep you guys posted. Still no dreams of Tracy yet, whatever that means; I think if I dream with her and she would maybe come in a dream, I could find some closure or answers that would help me to cope more easy with her lost. I can still feel my body internally, anxious and depressed because the events and I worry a little bit since when depression, for small or big it can be settles, the dfenses in our system lowers and we are more prone to get ill. I am trying to come to terms and reality as best as I can keeping all this in mind. the help in here has been fenomenal; just with the writing, it has been a good part of it. Thanks all. Will keep posting updates as they come.
If you have a Humane Society around you they usually have clinics and charge less then a regular vet. Put her to sleep now and worry about cremation later since that part is really just for you. Not being cruel but I am right now going through the same thing my beloved dog is passing at 14 1/2 and feel like someone ripped my heart out. But need to be strong for him till tomorrow when the mobile vet will come so my baby doesn't go through the stress of vet. My had back problems so was giving him aspirin and glucosma which really made a huge difference. Went to the vet Thursday for a rabies shot since it the law and the vet told me not to give him aspirin but to give Pericox so Friday gave 1/2 with food Saturday morning he started throwing up got him on some Malanta and helped but he is confused can't hardly walk and not eating. Did have a few bites today since fixed him hamburger was over joyed even though I know it a false hope wanted to wait 3 days just to see if the medicine was completely out of his system......I'm on disability and know how hard it is to come up with money for vets. When I got my dog was working always had been and doing ok regular vets etc last 7 years it's usually deciding between food and medicine. I am blessed to have a friend that wants to pay for everything. Can't afford to be proud Bless you and your baby. Wanted to worn people about this drug checked on the internet and found many stories similar with much younger dogs. 4 dollars a pill believe has something to do with it, plus only place you get it is your vet so beware stick with something that been around. If this is scrambled it cause I have gotten 4 hours sleep in the last 2 days afraid he will need something and wouldn't be there. It's been just us for the last 7 years, no friends here or family from Orlando. When this is over plan on moving back. Lesson learnt what really important in life
I am sorry for you and your best friend. It is the hardest thing - which many of us have had to endure, so we know just how you must be feeling. All that said, at 14 and a half, he's done so well for reaching this ripe old age. Try remembering the good times, the adventures you have given him and the extraordinary life you have shared with him. Please come back to the forum when you feel able. Tomorrow is going to be so hard, but by the end of the day, your best friend will be at peace. No more suffering. You are doing all that you can do, and all that you have to do. Big hugs, Tony x
Thank you your are so sweet. Yes another friend reminded me dogs go to heaven. I'm trying really hard to remember what someone wrote here to not let them see you upset. Rusty came from Animal Control and had been returned twice lucky for him the girl that worked there loved him and did everything in her power to get him a home, was suppose to be a cocker spaniel left with a 65 pound Aust. Heeler best dog ever and so smart. Did get hit by a car and was patched back together so he has done well and thank you for reminding me. Did have a cocker that I lost after 16 years thought pain would never end but does and then we help the next soul that needs a home, but boy it ***** today though. : )
It sounds like you have done and are doing an amazing job, offering a home to lost souls, who only need love and care. We also offer our space to rescue dogs. We recently acquired a greyhound, retired from racing at 4 yrs old and cast out. Our last rescued lurcher, BB, passed away a couple of years ago, and our current dog, Giro, (half Rottweiller, but as soft as they come) missed her so much. They were great friends and companions. Hopefully, Sally the greyhound will be good for us and for Giro.

I know today will be hard, but tomorrow may be a little easier, next week more so, and in a few months time, who knows, maybe a homeless dog that is currently waiting out there in a rescue centre will be lucky enough to find you - and even luckier to be offered a home with you.

Big hugs, Tony x
I've been reading on here about what all of you have gone through; I talked to a vet friend of mine on the phone for an hour and a half today; tomorrow morning at 10, I am going to phone to see how his 8 am blood tests went. My little Roz is in chronic kidney failure and spent the weekend on an IV. I took him in on friday, never dreaming in a million years that he was very sick. No vomiting, no diarhea, and he even ate a little breakfast that day. But he was losing weight and not acting right. Imagine my shock to find out that my 7 year old Roz is in renal failure. I guess you don't have to imagine it. Most of you have gone through it yourself with your own beloved dogs. I went back in on Saturday and got to spend an hour and a half with him, just holding him and petting him and talking to him. He seemed much sicker than he had the day before. Anybody could tell he was sick on Saturday. On Friday, the vet had no idea he was in renal failure until she ran the blood tests. It was so sudden.

I don't think the IV treatment worked, unless there was a miracle today. Tomorrow morning, I know that they're going to tell me that his blood levels of all the indicators haven't improved and that the only option is to have him put to sleep. And I will get into my car and go in and say my goodbyes and have them do it.

It seems particularly horrible because I got Roz from the vet's office, 5 years ago. He was a stray. He'd been there for 6 weeks and had gone out to 4 homes before me, and each of them had returned him, and they were going to put him down the afternoon I heard about him. Somehow it makes it worse, makes it harder to bear. I know, I gave him 5 years more than he would have had. But he's only 7 years old, my youngest dog in fact. It is just so hard. Roz is my cuddliest dog, the one who comforts me. His buddy Hudson, my largest dog, doesn't understand and is really clingy.

I cannot afford cremation and will be bringing him home, wrapped in his favourite throw blanket. I am going to rub the blanket over his friend Hudson, so that he can think of him. I am not going to let my other dogs attend the burial, but I am going to let them smell his collar.

I know, I should still be holding out some hope, but I cannot. He was unwell on Saturday. He will probably look much worse tomorrow, on Monday.

Oh, it's so hard. I cannot sleep. The clock is ticking down on my poor little Roz and I cannot come to grips with what I am going to have to do tomorrow. I shall miss him so much.
Hello. My heart goes out to you. This is a dreadfully painful and emotional ordeal you must endure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good news, but you are right to be cautious and perhaps be prepared if the news isn't good. At 7 yrs old, Roz is very young to be suffering from chronic renal failure. But you are right to feel just a little uplifted by how much life and love you have given him. He was so lucky to have found you - and you to have found him. Big hugs, Tony
Hi Tony, TwoBits Mom & others,
My eyes are welling up with tears as I write this.  I feel blessed to have stumbled onto your support group site.  

I have two wonderful dogs: Brownie & Brownie, Jr. "Junior".  I found them both (or should I say they found me?) almost exactly ten years apart.  They were homeless, and found their way to my doorstep. Brownie is almost 14 1/2 and Junior is about 3 1/2.  I believe that God sent Junior to us so that I would be able to love another dog & be consoled when it is my Brownie's time.

On May 6th, 2013, just five weeks ago, my world was turned upside down.  That is when, through a routine blood test, I found out my Brownie has kidney disease.  It wasn't too bad at that point: his Creatinine level was a 2, and the BUN was a 71.  Right away, I put him on Azodyl and "attempted" to change his diet.   This is the tricky part.  Although he had not shown many symptoms of this disease until this blood test, he immediately started going downhill.  The only symptoms were that he drank more water than usual & became more tired from walks.  I attributed this to old age.  Now I know better.

Brownie has since become the pickiest eater.  He refuses his old, original dry kibble and has rejected both the dry and wet prescription food.  For the first 3 weeks, although he seemed lethargic, his stools were normal and even looked better which I thought was due to the Azodyl.  However, during week 4 his appetite started to diminish & by this time in desperation, I kept switching up his diet.  So, during week 4 he vomited and had a lot of diarrhea, becoming so lethargic .... in addition, his follow up blood work showed the creatinine had worsened from a 2 to a 4, and the BUN had increased from a 71 to a 98.

When I told my vet that he had vomiting and diarrhea, she said it is only a matter of days to weeks for my dog. After all the reading I have done, I was really angry that she is just "throwing in the towel" without offering a last ditch effort.  

So, I switched over to an animal hospital that specializes in emergency vet care.  They have put Brownie on subQ fluids, and did a urine culture to investigate for further illness that may be contributing to Brownie's decline.  I should be receiving those results today.  

I have done the subQ fluids for five days in a row.  Brownie has stopped vomiting, but he still has diarrhea and is not actively seeking food.  When I attempt to hand feed him, the only food he'll take is bread and butter and meat related food (which is protein and phosphorus overload).  Yesterday, I mixed in pureed veggies & glutinous rice, and Brownie ate it.  However, I am sure that the diarrhea is negating the who process and not good long term.  

I feel so overwhelmed by all this, and cannot talk about it too much with others.  No one fully understands my bond with Brownie.  I have always loved animals, ever since my childhood.  I was the kid who would take in the strays and find them homes.  ...  I am turning 43, and have had Brownie since I was 30.  He has been through so many trials and tribulations with me.  I was pregnant with my first-born when Brownie found me.  Brownie has been by my side through a terrible marriage and divorce, two child births, going back to school for teaching only to give up 2 years later due to a bad economy and collapsing education system, a remarriage, and two moves.  He has seen me grow up from aimless young adult to a responsible mother "still trying to find herself".  Besides my children, Brownie has been my only constant and one whose love is unconditional.

Since finding out the news, I've tried so hard to enjoy every moment we have.  We've taken extra trips to the dog park, gone on hikes (which he has now declined too much to do at this point) and run errands together when it isn't too hot.  I hate to say this, but I enjoy Brownie's company more than anyone else's.  While I am trying to enjoy whatever time we have left, throughout the day I will pet Brownie and start crying.  It is so hard to both grieve and fight the battle of my life trying to preserve Brownie's life.  Some days I just want to give up.  

It is a huge ordeal trying to get Brownie to take his meds.  He is becoming more and more resistant and good at hiding the pill under his tongue and fighting back when I hold his tongue down.  Although he is just 17 pounds he is extremely strong willed.  

Today I will find out the results of the urine culture, as I said previously.  Depending on what that reveals and if his blood values do not improve on the next blood test, I may decide to put Brownie to sleep.  As much as I want to steal away as much time as possible with him, I don't know how much Brownie wants to live if he isn't actively seeking out food.  My guess is that the reason he isn't looking to be fed is that he may be continuously nauseous.  If I felt that way, I would not want to eat either.  So, if the state of things do not improve, then I guess I'd rather put Brownie to sleep rather than have to watch him live through an agonizing anorexia.  I would feel cruel watching him slowly starve himself to death.  

Please say a prayer for Brownie, and for me - that I remain strong and steadfast in making the "right" decision at the right time.  You are all in my prayers as well, for whatever situation you may be in.  Have a nice day.  -Paulette  
My beautiful girl Rumour is in her final stages this week.  She was diagnosed that she was only born with one kidney - the size of a cats and shouldn't have lived past 3 years of age.  That was last June 2012 and they thought she had days then.  She has given me another year (not an easy year as she was sick often and we had to have her wear a diaper when we weren't around - though that gave her her dignity back).  I know that it is the time to let her go but its killing me. I know she's not going to get better but I don't want to be the one to make the decision to take her life.  I know death is inevitable and I'm not doing it because she's an inconvenience.I don't want her to suffer.

Through your posting it is comforting to know that there are other who had to deal with the same situation.  It's just making me so sad.  I've had pets die before but I've never had to euthanize one.  I'm looking for the strength, and its not coming to me.
Hello. I am so very sorry to read your post. Rumour has certainly had a much longer life than expected, and she has experienced things that she may not have otherwise done - including the love, caring and affection given by you. It may not have been an easy year, but Rumour would certainly thank you for it, if she could.

It sounds as if her time is very near, which is dreadfully sad and heartbreaking, I know. However, it is also your responsibility to do what you feel HAS to be done, in her best interests, not (sadly) in your best interests. Helping our best friends through the final stage of life is what we take on board when we invite them into our homes and into our lives. It's probably one of the hardest things we will ever have to do, but it has to be done, nonetheless.

I would strongly suggest you try to get the vet to come to you, if you can afford it. This is helpful because Rumour will feel less anxious and can go to sleep in his own bed and in a place he feels warm and safe. You can also sit on the floor with him, hold him and comfort him. The process is quite fast and usually very peaceful. The vet will first give Rumour an injection that will calm him and make him feel sleepy. The next injection is effectively an overdose of anesthetic, which sends the dog into deep sleep and then, death.

It's a hideous process to watch and experience as an owner, but it is quite peaceful for our best friends ... and in truth, it is the last kindness we can do for them when they are in pain and suffering. I would also suggest you have a friend or family member at your side when you go through this. You will need a shoulder to cry on - and lots of support for the hours afterwards. My heart goes out to you. Please come back and let us know how things develop. Be strong. Huge cyber hugs to you and Rumour.

Tony x
Sorry for changing Rumour's gender half way through my response ... I of course meant to say her not him. Tx
I am so sorry for the pain you are experiencing with Rumour.  It is a blessing that you had the "extra" year with her despite your vet's prediction.  Nothing we can say on here will make your pain any easier, but just know that you are being thought of during this difficult time.  

As Tony mentioned, letting Rumour go is the best gift you can give her when you know it is time.  I've been coming to terms with my own dog Brownie's rapidly advancing kidney disease, myself.  We've been battling it for five weeks, and it has progressed faster than I could have imagined.  Just this morning, I told God that I am ready to accept His will, and to please make me strong enough to do what is right for Brownie.  I pray that you will find the same strength as I have.  Just as Brownie will live on in me and in how I live my life, Rumour will always live within you.  God bless you.  
I went to the vet to get my dog Murali's eye checked 20 days back. But that very day he vomited. He started vomiting too much later. After no medication could stop his vomit, vet asked me to get a blood test. His cret was 1.6. However, after 3 days of fluid therapy his cret increased to 2.9 instead of decreasing. Vet says he wont live long. It has been too hard for me to handle the fact since I am too attached to my Murali. I have been spending days and nights with him. I am nursing him 24/7. I dont know what to feed him because mostly he vomits all the food. Please suggest me the right medications and food to make him survive as the vets in my country are not at all trust worthy and there is no proper technology for animal health. Please help!
I'm so sorry you're going through this. We just had to let go of our dog Stu... he was to be 9 years young this month.  He had 2 weeks of diarrhea/vomitting...thought for sure it was his food - switched it out and it never got any better. He was lethargic and didn't look like himself... Took him to the vet 7/27 and were told he had end stage renal failure...based on his numbers, it was unlikely he would get better.,.got him home on anti nausea medications, went to bed, and overnight his condition worsened tremendously.  He was drooling, his eyes were not the same, he was breathing shallow and I could see he was struggling.  Didn't leave his spot and barely licked on an ice cube... we took him to the vet on 7/28 and was told he was also in congestive heart failure, hence the breathing troubles... we made the excruciating decision to let him go... God that was the worst pain I've felt in a very long time... I found solace in surrounding myself with his photos and talking with my children and telling them about Rainbow Bridge...  my point being is that if your pet is sick... he is suffering - make whatever decision that will work for you emotionally and financially.  Your heart will help you decide.  Look past how you feel about it and think about what they are going through.  You're nursing Murali and it's not working... I hated like hell to do what we did, but I could see how bad Stu was doing and that broke my heart more then setting him free.  My heart still breaks, but I can look at his picture and think about him without crying so much anymore... God bless you and Murali...
Hello. Welcome to the forum - but so sorry it's under such difficult circumstances. If Murali has kidney failure (it sounds like that's what you are describing) then no medication will help him survive. However, there are medications that will help him feel more comfortable and that will encourage him to eat and drink. Dogs with kidney failure have a body that is full of toxins (because they cannot be cleared out in the normal way through a healthy kidney), and it's the toxins that cause nausia, which in turn stops a dog from eating and drinking properly. The lack of food causes severe fatigue and miserableness. The lack of water intake leads to severe dehydration. Ask your vet about suitable anti-nausia meds, because if your Murali will eat (even a little) and keep drinking a sip of water every now and then, he will have the energy to feel more at ease and be more lucid.

Nothing can prevent the inevitable, so at some stage euthanasia must be seriously considered - your dog will tell you when the right time has come - the message will be there loud and clear in his eyes. This is a heartwrenching situation for you and for Murali. All you can do is comfort him and prepare for that final helping hand. I am so very sorry I can't give you better advice, but do check the forum for other very useful info about kidney disease. There are lots of us that have been where you are right now, and some of us have learned so much from the experience. Cyber hugs to you and Murali. Tony x
I had to put two of my sweet babies to sleep within three weeks of each other.  Zoey had congestive heart failure and her BUN levels were at 135.  She had been diagnosed with kidney disease 8 months earlier.  She had two bad episodes during that time but pulled through.  When the third one happened I thought it was time but then felt horrible guilt thinking maybe she wasn't ready, that she would've perked up again.  With Maki it came to the point that it was difficult for her to lay down because of arthritis. Seemed anxious, was up half the night wanting to drink water and pee.  She had only been diagnosed like 6 weeks prior.  She started with bad diarrhea on Sunday and Tues and Wed had a little blood in it.  On Thurs I called the vet to schedule to be euthanized but wanted to do blood work first.  Results showed her BUN had only increased slightly but it showed high levels for her liver.  She got a sedative and 15 minutes later the vet injected her.  She didn't exhale like my others had done after the injection and he said it was normal when they get a sedative first.  Now I wonder if she was under dosed and might have woke up in the freezer.  This terrifies me and can't imagine the fear particularly with her anxiety issues.  Any reassurance?  Zoey was 14 years old and Maki was 17.  
I am so sorry for what you & Murali are experiencing.  My dog, Brownie is probably close to end stage renal failure.  Your post was over one week ago, so a lot has probably changed in your circumstances by now.  Whatever your situation is today, I wish you much peace and want to express how sorry I am for all the pain both you & Murali have had.  Take care of yourself, and keep us posted here.  

Paulette
Hello 2sad2dal!

You are very privileged to have been chosen to be Tracy's caretaker for all these years! I bet you have given her a life that most pets would dream of having! I have been where you are now three times over the past 3 years. My first two Labs I had for almost 14 years. I had to put both of them down a year apart from each other. Old age just caught up with them. I unexpectedly put down my wonderful Golden Retriever of 10 years, Zekie. I hardly had time to say good bye to him. Luckily he died peacefully. I was with them all when I had to put them to sleep. I would never have let them go on all by themselves. Now I have my Skeeter girl suffering a total kidney shutdown. Vets are convinced she was poisoned with anti-freeze. I highly doubt that. She just has no access to those kinds of things and I do not know anyone who would ever want to harm them. However, the fact remains that as of this moment, she has no working kidneys. It has been one week for her now. I am praying to my awesome God for her recovery. If she ends up going on to be with my Lord well.......there is nobody else I would trust better than He to take care of her, Zekie, Cami and Emily. The Bile speaks of animals being in heaven. Jesus comes back to earth riding on a white hoarse! I am looking forward to being greeted by my loved ones and especially by my furry tail wagers! As sad as I am right now over Zekie, I am happy that God will heal my Skeeter! God has again given me the strength to go out and find another Rescue dog with special needs to be our newest addition to our family. Just as he had me do with Cami, Emily, Zekie and Skeeter.

So, be proud of the great care you took of your wonderful Tracy! She loves you very much! Dogs Love All The Time! Keep her from pain and let her go when the time is right! I had my pets cremated so I could one day be cremated and mixed in with my past pets and spread someplace peaceful. I put their collars, retired toys and brushes in zip lock bags so I could go back to them later on and smell my dogs scent imbedded in their collars and Thunder shirts. I look at pictures of Zekie all the time now. It really helps with the heartache. I actually needed to get some Aprolazam for anxiety that I felt when I had to put my Cami girl down. It helped a lot!

Most of all, be with your Tracy girl through the end and don't be afraid to do it all over again! There are many wonderful pets who need a wonderful caretaker like yourself. They will never be your Tracy girl but they WILL steal your heart just as Tracy did!

Cami, Emily, Zekie and Skeeter's Caretaker and Best Friend,

Me !
Hi lost my soul mate too. Lab/staff/princess Daisy sadly lost her fight last Saturday night and life will never be the same -she was amazing. Daisy was a rescue dog so I don't know her exact age but she was our special princess here for 11 years. Reading about you and Tracey makes me realise that your bond with her is just like ours. I want you to know that I chose to let Daisy go naturally but her death was so horrific I'm still thinking the same as you, Thinking that I let her down by not getting the vet here the day before as I'd been exactly the same as you wondering every day what to do -whilst daisy was getting so poorly old age took over her lovely body. She was on heart meds and had cancer but wanted to stay here so much. Her tail was still wagging she was still giving/recieving love and still catching spiders last week! She sadly started to have some really bad days with diarreah and seizures. she clung to life as long as she possibly could, even at the very end she fought so hard to stay here she loved being here so much. You and i are feeling the same. We each took a different course of action but the heartbreaking outcome is the same we lost our best friends. Wish we could talk. Catherine x
Whether you are currently caring for a dog that has kidney failure or whether you are an owner that has lost a dog to this dreadful illness, please join the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group. You will get lots of valuable information there about how to improve a dog's quality and longevity of life - and if required, get support from other owners that are going through or have gone through the same thing with their own dogs. I administer this group - and all members there are kindhearted, courageous and well informed about kidney failure.

You can find the group by mousing over the Forum tab and clicking on User Groups, then use the search bar.

Regards

Tony
Just lost our 17 year old Yorkshire Terrier, Muffin. Her kidneys were failing and she was deteoreating. I took her the vets this morning and she fell asleep at 11:25am. My partner and I are absolutely heartbroken. I stayed with her and stroked her little head while she was put to sleep. It was all over and at peace within a minute. She had had enough and was ready to go. I kissed her before I left and broke my heart. She was our life. Goodnight God bless Muffin we will never let you leave our hearts xx
Hi. Just to say, I am so very sorry for your loss. Perhaps reflecting on the fact that Muffin lived to be 17, which is an extraordinary good age, and enjoyed years of adventure, attention and love, should be remembered. You gave her a good life - and if she could, she would thank you.

Run free Muffin.

Tony
I'm sorry for your loss.  I'm facing a similar situation.  It takes a ton of strength to watch your baby pass on to the next part of the journey.  Your baby understood your pain.  Don't beat yourself up. I know you will see her again. Death is only a shedding of our worn out vessel, she now has a new body and mind.  I am opting for natural at home.  If it gets to bad,  I may not be much help to her.  I am sure there is some goodness in your selfless act. Love never dies. Your baby lives on !
Our dog Sampson has Renal failure.He is an 11 yr old red nosed mural pitbull,My wife tried this kidney support gold, and for 3 days,it looked like he was coming back to his normal self.He was eating good and going to the bathroom.However last night, she told me was a very bad night for Sam,He couldn't get up the stairs, and just fell over suddenly in the kitchen,She thinks he had a seizure,He also just lied there and urinated all over the floor.As I write this it is very hard for me to fathom this as I work up north,and won't be back until the 29th of the month.I don't want to see him suffer,so my wife back in Calgary is monitoring the situation with his present condition.She told me he is shaking,lying on the couch.It doesn't look good,When I last saw him,he was doing well,so its hard for me to accept,that he probably will not be there anymore when I get home.I am so sad as I write this,I called her to tell her,that she needs to do what she feels is right for our beloved dog.She is preparing to call the vet to make the arrangements for his journey to heaven.So I understand here,what everyone is going though.Do whats right for your pet,let him be free and with no pain,I understand
Hi. I am very sorry for what you are going through, particularly away from home. Has the vet done a full blood test? If yes, can you get the BUN, creatinine and phosphorus results from your wife to post here. This will help decide the stage of kidney failure and whether it is worth trying a few things first. Diet is hugely important - any low protein kidney specific diet is good, but there are other considerations too. Fluids (by IV if necessary) are essential to flush out the toxin build-up. Low phosphorus diets are also essential. Please have a read of this:

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_Diet_Affects_Dogs_with_Chronic_Kidney_Disease

Also, please join our special User Group - CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS - as the family of friends, all owners that have gone through or are going through what you are going through right now, are sure to offer support and advice.

Keep me updated. Take care.

Tony
Hi Tony, I lost my angel to kidney failure 1 month ago yesterday. It was just all so fast! From the date of the first symptoms (lack of appetite and vomiting) to the date I had her put to sleep, it was exactly 27 days. She went down hill fast, besides all I did (3 days of IV therapy at the vet, special food, etc). On diagnosis her creatinine was 6 and BUN over 200 mg/dL. It went down some after fluid therapy but she still wasn't well. This would probably explain the fast decline... this would be considered stage 4 right? I wonder how she was fine and acting her self, and so sudden everything went downhill. Is it possible she already was in kidney failure a good while before I noticed symptoms? I know it's too late for this now, but it would bring me some peace as to why we literally had no fighting chance to stall this disease. Thanks! I read through these posts sobbing, because I know too well what it is like. She was the love of my life, and I look forward to the day we are reunited in Heaven. I just know God will give her back to me!
Hello. I am very sorry for your loss. In fact, 27 days is quite good in comparison to some people's experiences. From my own story I can tell you my beloved BB (a wonderful lurcher of 12 yrs old), went from seemingly healthy except for poor eating, to a dog that needed to be euthanised within 3 days of her diagnosis. She literally ran almost the entire 2 miles to the vets on the Monday, very happy and lively ... and by Thursday she couldn't even stand up and hadn't eaten for 2 days prior to that. It was like she had jumped over a cliff edge.

The rapid decline is a dreadful thing to see. Dogs often start with kidney failure many months and sometimes a year or more earlier than the diagnosis. It's very slow to begin with, but a steady decline. The kidney tissues are destroyed bit by bit as the illness progresses. Dogs rarely show any symptoms at all until the organs are very severely affected. It's because the kidneys can function reasonably well for a long time, one compensating for the other. But once only 25% of the organ tissues remains, that's when symptoms begin. Some dogs continue to hide these symptoms, seemingly remaining happy and contented for a long time.

However, when the organs are so badly destroyed that it begins affecting blood values, electrolyte balance, muscle tissues and other organs, then that's when many dogs reach a point of no return. Good management can help prolong life, but this may only be for a matter of a few weeks. In rare cases, and when the illness is caught very early, a dog can survive with treatment and good management for a year or more.

Once the kidneys reach the 20% tissue remaining stage (probably where your dog was at), then the entire body starts to shut down - and that can happen very fast. Other organs start to fail, and dogs feel fatigued. Euthansia is the kindest thing at this stage.

I hope that explains things a little and helps you to feel a little better about what you had to do. It's a dreadful illness.

Kind regards

TonyB
Vet told me Zoeys BUN was off the chart, it was 135 and her kidney function was at 25%.  I later read some posts of pets BUN being 300.  Zoey had sub q fluids on a Wed but Thursday she didn't even want her favorite food.  She got up to the bathroom and tried to drink water.  I put her in atom where I could lay down with her away from my other dogs.  She woke up a few times and I would soothe her and she would fall back to sleep.  In the morning I called the vet to have him come over to euthanize her. I stayed with her during the day before he came.  The very same  day after she was  euthanized the guilt started.  I then realized I did not have her water bowl in the room and didn't give her water for hours before she went.  I figured she became more dehydrated and was probably dying with thirst. She wasn't panting. Was sleeping most of the time before she was euthanized.  Vet said treating congestive heart failure and kidney failure was a lose lose situation.  She was on a lot of Meds that I suspect damaged her kidneys. Furosemide being the worst.  Your posts have helped me tremendously.  Thank you
Hello Tony, sorry for the late response. I wanted to let you know that I got your response and appreciate you taking the time to write, and tell me about your experience as well. I am also very sorry for your loss! Your explanation makes me understand why everything went so fast. It is definitely a dreadful disease, we just feel so helpless! Thanks and take care!
You are very welcome. You may (or may not) already know that 1 in 3 dogs over 12yrs of age develop kidney disease. Catching it early is the key to prolonging life. To catch it early, it's worth having an annual urine test and blood level check undertaken by the vet. This will not only help identify kidney issues beginning, but it will also catch many other serious illnesses and offer the opportunity to treat and manage them before they deteriorate beyond treatment.

Tony
I have a 13 year old Yorkie that share the same birthday with my only daughter. After getting into our garbage last week, he has been on a roller coaster of throwing up and having diarreah. He went in for his annual checkup, seemingly fine and got a birds tells shot and I was told he was healthy but had an irregular heartbeat. I gave him a heart pill and the next morning I walked into an all night mess of throw up, pee and Diarreah... He looked unwell so I took him back to the vet and they gave him fluids because he was dehydrated. I was going away the next day and a vet tech offered to watch him for the weekend. We thought he had a stomach bug. He seemed to get better but when I came home he had thrown up even though I was giving him anti nausea medicine. Took him back to vet, they gave him more fluids, a shot of anti nausea medicine and wanted to do an ultrasound, scheduled for this morning. He started to refuse food, when I took him in I wanted his blood checked before the ultrasound and his Bun, Creatine, and phosphorus were way out of normal range and the started talking to me about his end and his options.... He has kidney failure and I am devestated!!! He is lethargic and not eating and I am beside myself. This just doesn't make any sense. A week and a half ago he was agile, full of energy, didn't look or seem his age. His body now is lifeless.... I just can not believe it. I thought he would at least get to the 16 year mark.... I am waiting for him to come back to his normal self.  What if I put him down and this is really a passing thing... I am not ready to say goodbye.....
Hi. A couple of things ... presumably the heart pill you talk about was something the vet prescribed? What is it called and what frequency are you meant to be giving it?

My best guess is that this is acute kidney failure, entirely due to something eaten in the garbage. It would of course be something toxic to dogs - so any chemicals, human medicines, home or garden pesticides, unsuitable food scraps, etc., could all be at fault.

Fluids are the key here - so make sure he gets at least 3 days of IV fluids at the vets , then check blood numbers again and repeat the process if need be - then follow up with Sub Q fluids for a couple of months. If there is still a heart murmer, this process might have to be undertaken with extreme caution and veterinary supervision.

Tony