Dogs Community
large hard lump near surgery site 5 weeks after dog spayed

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog got spayed and she was doing fine the stiches got removed about 2 weeks ago and she was cleared to start running and everything again. I was looking at her stomach today and near her surgery area not exactly on it but near it she has a large hard lump. It doesn't appear to bother her and she is still eatting, drinking, running and everything just fine. I need to know if this is normal or if this would be an emergency that I should take her to the ER for.
It's not all that uncommon for the edges of the incision to feel a bit hard, depending on how skilled the doctor is at stitching.  When I had one of my girls spayed the vet was relatively new to the practice and one end of her incision was all puffed up (not swollen, though, just hard and puffed up) and HARD!  I got very nervous and called the senior vet at the practice and told him what was going on and he explained to me that it was perfectly normal as long as there was nothing oozing from the incision, there was no redness and the dog was acting fine.  He explained about the incision maybe not being as well-sewn as it would have been with a more practiced vet and told me that once the stitches were out and the hair grew back, it would never even be noticeable.  He was right.  As soon as it was all healed the hardness went away, the hair grew back and everything was fine.  I have a feeling this is what's going on with your girl.  Make the vet aware of it and keep a close eye on her, but my guess is that everything will be fine.

Ghilly
I think you should get your dog back to the vet as soon as you are able to do so. This sounds like a surgical issue, where either some sub-tissue has not been fully stitched or where blood has clotted or fibrous tissue has developed beneath the skin. Whatever the cause, I find it too much of a coincidence that this has happened almost immediately after surgery, and therefore I think it is very likely to be related to it. The vet should deal with it as part of the after-surgery follow-up care. Your dog may need to stay at the vet's if they think further surgical assessment is required. Please let us know what the vet tells you (this acts as a learning curve for us, thus helping others that may come here for information following complaining about similar symptoms in their dogs). Tony

Ghilly
I get me new male yorkie fixed this Friday. I pray he does not have any problems. I don't think I can take much more bad news. It's been a
trying few months, losing my cat of 16 years and my best dog three
weeks later. Hope all goes well. He goes in at 815 and home at 4pm.

Mark
Mark, I'm sure he will be fine. I know what you mean though, I'm always on tenterhooks if ever my girl has to have any surgery or procedure. I never feel right till she's with me again.
He'll be overjoyed to see you after his spell with the vet, no doubt, but maybe still wobbly on his legs!
Thank you everyone for ur posts. I took Lucy to the vet this past Thursday she said that it is perfectly normal for dogs to have lumps near the surgery site during the healing processes. She said that the lump is the internal sutures healing and that the internal sutures take months and months to dissolve. She said that the lump should smooth out over time as the sutures continue to heal.
I know it sounds like a lot of problems but as long as you have a good vet on ur side I'm sure all will be fine. My little girl only had problems because she is sensitive and ended up having an reaction to the sutures they used but all is fine now! You just gotta check on them and ask questions of anything looks odd to you. Best of Luck!