Dogs Community
long time smelly urine in dog

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

long time smelly urine in dog

I took my dog to the vet a couple of times.  The medicines helped while she was taking them, but the smell came right back.  I don't have the money to be taking her, so is there something I can do at home that will help her.  Do you think it is more then a regular urine infection?  When I bathe her the smell is stronger until she dries.
What diagnosis did your vet arrive at?  What medicines were prescribed?  Are you certain it's the urine that smells and not the coat?  What breed of dog do you have?

Most dogs will smell like a.... wet dog!  ... when they get wet.  Some dogs have very oily coats that make it easier for bacteria to grow.  It's the bacteria in the coat and skin that cause that doggy smell.  If it's not bacteria, it could be from a fungal infection.  You could try Selsun Blue shampoo (people shampoo) as a cheap over-the-counter remedy for a fungal skin problem.  There are also fungal shampoos you can get at the pet store that may help as well.  Where dog shampoos are concerned, avoid the heavily fragranced ones.  The best shampoos will have little to no odor.  Sometimes the added perfumes cause more allergy and skin problems.
our bassett hound had a thick oily urine, you can see it for days
after it dry.  what is wrong with her.
My male chihuahuas will sometimes have that thick orange sticky really bad smell too!!
But it goes away after a few days....The only thing I've done personally, is change the water bowl daily, and give them : you boil fresh corn silk from fresh corn in pot, keep the water,and drain the silk off the water, let it cool and put that down for a day only, no longer than one day, cause it will sour...thats good for dogs and humans w/urinary tract repeat infections...it works for me.
Or you can go the a herbal/vitamin store and ask for corn silk...(the stringy stuff around the cob)
My mom is 67 and we use it on her, and my males when the urine starts up...
Much luck to you and yours, I understand the financial stress w/ vets...yes it can be a burden...
Just be careful to strain the corn silk thru cheesecloth or real fine strainer so not to get the silk in the drinking water...you may have to repeat this effort over a few times, I believe you will see a change......